Writing Commisions

Post and discuss creative ideas

Writing Commisions

Postby Kuragari » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:28 pm

I've been told by a few people her who I do Roleplaying with (as well as people on other parts of the web) that I am a good writer. I often question this, but then, I'm my own worst critic. Anywhosit, due to money troubles, I've been contemplating other ways I could make money, besides try to get a 2nd job, I had a recent idea, and this thread is to see if its even a worthwhile one.

I've got the idea of doing short story commissions, either in the form of one shots or several short chapters. I had the thought of maybe charging $0.05 per word, or perhaps for every ten words, for the commissions.

naturally, this being the forum it is, these stories would most likely involve sex, unless the person commissioning a story specified otherwise.

Would anyone be interested at all in commissioning a story, or think this is even a good idea?
Kuragari

Re: Writing Commisions

Postby BlueLight » Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:44 pm

I think there are better sites for you to do this on.
Here is a random link i found of google. http://writing-commissions.deviantart.com/
but this is not to say you can't get this to work on LOK just that there has been no preexisting instances of it.

Adding on to that i personally don't think doing per word is a good business practice. This might sounds crazy but i think you should do it per page with a clear indication on spacing you'll be using. Per word allows you to get lazy and have a higher incentive to use small basic words with basic diction and not using the full weight of your vocabulary. It also opens you up to loss in profits if you have a cut sections of your story out for what ever reason.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Kuragari » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:44 pm

I had thought of deviant art, and thanks for the link, but it seems that where as for other series and stories, I get writers block and find an unwillingness to write, I don't seem to have that same problem when writing smut. Go figure :p

Well, by page can also run into the same sort of problem, I could purposely drag things out and go into unneeded detail, packing a story with useless filler fluff just to get more money. As for profits, I don't expect to make lots of money from this, its more of a sort of side thing to probably throw any extra money I make into savings. Hell, if the most I could make a month from doing this was say $15, that'd be awesome.

I do appreciate the feedback though, and welcome more from anyone else who decides to say anything.
Kuragari

Postby BlueLight » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:49 pm

Well you could add fluff but then again you have to add a lot of fluff. :P I'm at least forcing you to work like a dog (MUHAHAHAHAHHA). But it also allows for someone like me to say i want a 3 page short story of samus drinking in a bar and still be able to get a good idea of how much text i'm getting. Unlike say 3000 words; i'm unsure what that is.
BlueLight

Postby Kuragari » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:45 pm

Using standard settings on MS word (from my experience anyways) each page can usually hold between 400 to 600 words on average, so three pages could be around 1200-1800 words. This of course assumes nothing fancy, such as page break type things or a fancy title bit at the top.
Kuragari

Postby BlueLight » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:59 pm

Kuragari Wrote:Using standard settings on MS word (from my experience anyways) each page can usually hold between 400 to 600 words on average, so three pages could be around 1200-1800 words. This of course assumes nothing fancy, such as page break type things or a fancy title bit at the top.

400 words? I'm not so sure that's accurate.

EDIT
WTH microsoft. When even i have to write it's takes 1000+ words to fill a page but when Kuragari writes it's 500.

about 300 words is worth $15 meaning it will cost about $25 per page. of course i could have done my math wrong.
BlueLight

Postby Kuragari » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:18 am

Well spacing is part of it, and it also depends on how big the paragraphs are. If you do one big wall of words, I believe you can get more words in.
Kuragari

Postby BlueLight » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:40 am

Kuragari Wrote:Well spacing is part of it, and it also depends on how big the paragraphs are. If you do one big wall of words, I believe you can get more words in.

about 600 words if it's a wall of text.
BlueLight

Postby fragmasterson » Fri May 16, 2014 3:17 am

I think I saw on the Corruption of Champions blog that they were holding a writing contest of some sort. I didn't actually read the post, but I'm guessing the winner's story would be incorporated into a scene in the game. I doubt the winner is to be paid anything. But...

Maybe there is a smut roleplaying game creator out there who would be willing to pay for your services. Many probably don't write the scenes themselves, if they're primarily programmer types or what not.
fragmasterson

Return to Discussion