Corta'SPLATFORMER

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:01 am

corta Wrote:My system is similar, just it runs without the 'if' check.

The problem is that my character can change outfits and character types during the same pose :/
So thats why I keep checking it (IF inside an OnEnterFrame). I can remove the onEnterFrame, but if Peach is stopped, for example, she wont change character/outfits when taking a new powerup (Raccoon).
So the player would need to 'walk' in order to reactivate that if in a new movie clip instance of those body parts.

We dont need to worry anyway. We can really use like 10,000 IF checkings in the whole game PER FRAME, and still have a drop like 1 FPS only.
I've seen this here! http://upshots.org/actionscript/20-tips ... tionscript
"The above would behave as expected – lets say veryHeavyFunction normally takes 10ms to execute – even in a loop of 10,000 iterations, you’ll still get back a very low number."
("lazy evaluation IFs" doesnt work in AS2, but IFs are really fast in both AS2 and AS3)

As for more tips about optimizing AS2 (and AS3): http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flash/artic ... -tips.html

corta Wrote:also, you dont have to declare frame names or do any typing when you use intergers over strings.

Actually I use it already without the label names ;)

no labels.jpg
no labels.jpg (19.11 KiB) Viewed 5164 times

I only gave the example with labels to be more clear ;)
As you see, I use fewer character types anyway (Peach, Fire Peach, Daisy, Rosalina...) but Blargh used to have 45 characters and 48 outfits.
Ivan-Aedler

Postby FurrinGok » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:04 am

corta Wrote:let's not do anything crazy, now..

speaking of crazy, the big five-zero character courtesy of an absolute lunatic.
and here's your clue:

That made me go back and look at that game to see if I remembered it right.
FurrinGok
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby meinin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:19 pm

Y'know, I'd love it if we get more story, or new enemy animations, especially those lizardmen.
meinin

Postby FurrinGok » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:46 pm

meinin Wrote:Y'know, I'd love it if we get more story, or new enemy animations, especially those lizardmen.

Yeah, man. As hot as it would be to have Tali'Zorah Vas Normandy in the game, I'd rather have a bit more story first.
FurrinGok
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby meinin » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:02 pm

The new models don't seem to have back textures or something.
meinin

Postby kaseron » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:29 pm

Can't wait for dialogs.
kaseron

Postby Terrantor!!! » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:01 am

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:
corta Wrote:My system is similar, just it runs without the 'if' check.

The problem is that my character can change outfits and character types during the same pose :/
So thats why I keep checking it (IF inside an OnEnterFrame). I can remove the onEnterFrame, but if Peach is stopped, for example, she wont change character/outfits when taking a new powerup (Raccoon).
So the player would need to 'walk' in order to reactivate that if in a new movie clip instance of those body parts.

Hey, man. I'm having the same issue on my proto. I figure the best way is to emulate an enterframe event using two timeline frames, so just make content layers unkeyframed (or whatever) and check a boolean as to whether the character's current outfit value matches the actual outfit. After that, if false, do nothing, if true, run a function that corrects the dress. dunno if that would be the same as adding a listener; but it's worth a shot god damnit. btw I'm feeling inspired, so I hope to make some more content for PUT, man!

As for you, Corta, I kinda miss the dialogue from before your hiatus. The lead char just seemed more snarky and sarcastic. She just had this appeal that I fell in love with, can you bring that back? I guess what I'm really asking is to keep that comedy element. I love laughing while I fap.
Terrantor!!!

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:50 am

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Hey, man. I'm having the same issue on my proto. I figure the best way is to emulate an enterframe event using two timeline frames, so just make content layers unkeyframed (or whatever) and check a boolean as to whether the character's current outfit value matches the actual outfit. After that, if false, do nothing, if true, run a function that corrects the dress. dunno if that would be the same as adding a listener

The problem in emulating an onEnterFrame is that the playhead will always 'play', which could use some CPU if you have tons of frames and keyframes (like other programmers used in the beginning).
So an unicque onEnterFrame which checks for a given varible like _currentFrame 'suffits' (is sufficient) ;)

Terrantor!!! Wrote:btw I'm feeling inspired, so I hope to make some more content for PUT, man!

Great! I am trying to be always inspired since the beginning ;) Its really a huge project I have hope to be finished.
This song is great http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKOBZSPKvTE

In PUT forum, I am 'vectorizing' dildos. viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2265&p=252355#p252190
Ivan-Aedler

Postby corta » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:11 pm

alrighty, been off with a few busted compy parts.. :( but things are pretty much back on track. 8-)

anyways, animations for 6-axis aiming done, just a lil' more code before you guys can have a play with it.

shootanims.png

new mouth system is underway and assets for the new voices and internal view are ready to see some use.
got so much stuff half-done.. I really ought to finish junk before moving on.. this update has taken way too long.

Terrantor!!! Wrote:Hey, man. I'm having the same issue on my proto. I figure the best way is to emulate an enterframe event using two timeline frames, so just make content layers unkeyframed (or whatever) and check a boolean as to whether the character's current outfit value matches the actual outfit. After that, if false, do nothing, if true, run a function that corrects the dress. dunno if that would be the same as adding a listener

if you haven't already, take a look at the systems I use in the template.
then take a peek at ivan's.
then look at everyone else's.

there's plenty of little things you can learn by checking out a fresh perspective or two.

kaseron Wrote:Can't wait for dialogs.

Terrantor!!! Wrote:As for you, Corta, I kinda miss the dialogue from before your hiatus. The lead char just seemed more snarky and sarcastic. She just had this appeal that I fell in love with, can you bring that back? I guess what I'm really asking is to keep that comedy element. I love laughing while I fap.

mmh, yeah.. back before I had the personality system, the 'quipping' was one of the major complains from people who wanted to play serious characters
so, the writing got a little more neutral as time went on..

I can fix that now, though. ..if I've still got it in me..
could even get a writer for 'em

meinin Wrote:The new models don't seem to have back textures or something.

y'know what that is..
that's me forgetting to drag in a symbol into the game.
shame.. I made backs for all of 'em too.

Biles Wrote:But wouldn't it be great if people submitting new characters could do that before hand, or perhaps redo them as well so as to lift more burden off your shoulders?

thing is, thats quite a bit of an ask of them..
if they're savvy to how animation joints work and how the my symbols are set up, then everything is as good as it'll ever get.
if not, I don't need them to go off and learn when it's just easier for me to do it.
and really, I'm never gonna not fool around with stuff when I get something new..
Active Thread: [ Flash Edits ][27th July/19]
Looking to donate? I've got pages for Patreon, SubscribeStar and Paypal.me!
corta

Postby [Brand_Name] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:15 pm

6-axis aiming

woooo! I don't know what that is but it sounds exciting! Go Corta! Yay progress!
Peace & Light
[Brand_Name]

Postby napala » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:50 am

[Brand_Name] Wrote:
6-axis aiming

woooo! I don't know what that is but it sounds exciting!

I think that means that we can aim in six directions (Front up-middle-down; and back up-midle-down) amirite?

[Brand_Name] Wrote: Go Corta! Yay progress!

Yaaaay!
napala

Postby Dornt » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:01 pm

Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I keep getting stuck after i leave the cave where fox ditches you. There is that woman that tells you to go see the chief but no matter where i look I can't find the chief or any other even that advances forward.
Dornt
Newly Registered

Postby napala » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:02 pm

Dornt Wrote:Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I keep getting stuck after i leave the cave where fox ditches you. There is that woman that tells you to go see the chief but no matter where i look I can't find the chief or any other even that advances forward.

As far as I know, there is no such chief yet, the game is still incomplete. If you want to do something that resembles progress, you can go back to the entrance of the cave, climb up the trees, and there will be an alien base. Have fun. :)
napala

Postby Biles » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:06 pm

corta Wrote:
Biles Wrote:But wouldn't it be great if people submitting new characters could do that before hand, or perhaps redo them as well so as to lift more burden off your shoulders?

if they're savvy to how animation joints work and how the my symbols are set up, then everything is as good as it'll ever get.
if not, I don't need them to go off and learn when it's just easier for me to do it.
and really, I'm never gonna not fool around with stuff when I get something new..

Actually, I should've been more specific. I was suggesting they could help in redrawing just the vector graphics for optimization. They need not worry about animations and scripts in general.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Postby corta » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:01 pm

k then.. stuff works, but it's not as responsive as i'd like it to be in-game when you're using keys, so It'll be a little longer..
free, fun, totally cool dance simulator for you to play with!
now that's how you do damage control, folks!

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

shootanims.swf [ 2.12 MiB | Viewed 3672 times ]

looks like the new back weapon layers lag a little in html, too..
oh, right.. hardware acceleration was off.
..never mind that.

Biles Wrote:
corta Wrote:

Actually, I should've been more specific. I was suggesting they could help in redrawing just the vector graphics for optimization. They need not worry about animations and scripts in general.

the only bits that take a while are when I get a piece that's skewed (even slightly) because they've made it by breaking layers apart
in which case, I've got to take outlines on every colour and re-paint the whole piece over a skin part for every dang symbol. (for everything skin-tight, anyway (so, everything) )

as far as actual vector optimization, I don't want them to worry about it for one tiny reason.
and, explaining it is a little difficult, but.. they're artists because they work with drawing tablets and the like.
all well-and-good, but cleaning and optimization are both done by mouse -- and it might be a right/left brain thing but being good at one usually makes you hate the other.
I'm not saying that it's hard or anything, but I don't need them to do anything that isn't first instinct to them.

wow, it's late.. hope that still makes sense when I proofread it tomorrow..

Apalapan Wrote:
Dornt Wrote:Hi everyone I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I keep getting stuck after i leave the cave where fox ditches you. There is that woman that tells you to go see the chief but no matter where i look I can't find the chief or any other even that advances forward.

As far as I know, there is no such chief yet, the game is still incomplete. If you want to do something that resembles progress, you can go back to the entrance of the cave, climb up the trees, and there will be an alien base. Have fun. :)

I left a note by the chief's throne.. and I thought I left something by the barmaid too...
some of the text might have got cut off or something, I'll take a poke around.

Apalapan Wrote:
[Brand_Name] Wrote:
6-axis aiming

woooo! I don't know what that is but it sounds exciting!

I think that means that we can aim in six directions (Front up-middle-down; and back up-midle-down) amirite?

I've ingeniously re-branded the lack of completed content. 8-)

[Brand_Name] Wrote:progress

..kinda :?
corta

Postby Terrantor!!! » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:32 am

cool! you can call it sexaxis when it involves cumshots
Terrantor!!!

Postby GadenKerensky » Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:16 pm

While it is pretty good so far (and admittedly I believed you'd abandoned it, but I was pleasantly surprised), my current primary grip is that... she doesn't ever sound like she's getting raped in most rape circumstances.

The hards and some of the mids are suitable for rape, especially Hard 7 for when they come inside her. Otherwise it just sounds like she's having consensual sex
GadenKerensky

Postby Ivan-Aedler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:17 am

corta Wrote:as far as actual vector optimization, I don't want them to worry about it for one tiny reason.
and, explaining it is a little difficult, but.. they're artists because they work with drawing tablets and the like.
all well-and-good, but cleaning and optimization are both done by mouse -- and it might be a right/left brain thing but being good at one usually makes you hate the other.

I do understand that. When we are creative and use our tablets, we prefer the speed and 'the flow of the brain', so vector drawing (aka using PEN TOOL) is not our friend. However, there are people who already make art (and in a blazing fast pace) using only vectors ;) And yes, using the tablets (wacom, aiptek...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohK5ihZC4QM
(you DONT need to make the gradients and that amount of detail).
Without having to create gradients, you can just use 'new shapes' (like a circle inside another) to make the effect of gradient (one having a shadower color).
See that he makes his 'nose' then he creates a copy of it and moves to background layer, changing its color, to act like a shadow!

And it's even easier for us when we already have the brush-made body parts. Its only a matter to create a new layer and 'paint over it' using the pen tool, then grouping them at any closed shape: e.g. I made the nose. I press CTRL+G then I make a new layer (or not), creating freckles. You can then join all layers into one (but all shapes need to be made a group (CTRL+G), otherwise you will 'cut out' the shapes underneath. That always happens when you have all shapes (drawings), be it by brush or pen, in the same layer, without grouping each different shape. Finally, after 'vectorizing the old one', you erase the original (brush) drawing.

I am making MIM PUT game entirely using vectors (with some exceptions) and I make the vectors from Flash itself (I dont need to use Illustrator).
Ivan-Aedler

Postby Biles » Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:47 am

Incidentally, you can use new shapes to create calligraphic-style linearts too. I'm an artist and I also use tablet when I also draw vector too.
Need some basic Flash character animations? Then stop by at:
Biles' Animation Kit

Current RPs:
n/a
Biles

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER - version. 'sexaxis!' :P

Postby corta » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:56 pm

first rule of show-business: make it look easy.

.. even I thought that this patch would take a day..

also, I didn't think to add "loli boobs off" script to all the preset buttons, now window shopping breaks tits! there's a headline for ya :o

Terrantor!!! Wrote:cool! you can call it sexaxis when it involves cumshots

it won't ever, but thanks for the patch name

now, if you'll excuse me, I still have to dodge questions about why I ever got rid of the title dates.. :lol:

Ivan-Aedler Wrote:gradients

..how'd we get onto gradients, now?

I was talking about fitting a shape to a skin when it's skewed out, but I get what you're saying.

GadenKerensky Wrote:she doesn't ever sound like she's getting raped in most rape circumstances.

The hards and some of the mids are suitable for rape, especially Hard 7 for when they come inside her. Otherwise it just sounds like she's having consensual sex

..yeah, that's the whole voice set. it's not just for rape.
I only use mid and hard voices for rapes, but I'm working on a better system with more voices, better grouping and a way to handle the clips with words. (with a slider for on-off)

so keep your ears out, I can do better.
corta

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects