Corta'SPLATFORMER

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER

Postby corta » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:17 am

heya.

this took WAY longer than it should have, but here's what the character builder in swarm is gonna look like.

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

SWaRM.swf [ 5.81 MiB | Viewed 13198 times ]

I made a whole DIY armor thing and got it working, but it was just no fun at all.
it was just super annoying to use and I hated it.
armor items in game are gonna be an easier thing, though.. so everything works out!

and also, new girl.
menus get sooo boring, leave me alone!

goron.png
Active Thread: [ Flash Edits ][27th July/19]
Looking to donate? I've got pages for Patreon, SubscribeStar and Paypal.me!
corta

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER -- SWaRM Character Builder Preview

Postby Myuu » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 am

I-I'm a four eyes nerdface? :oops:
Myuu

Postby zombie_source » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:23 pm

Main question: will you make krystal model for this new "Swarm" project?
zombie_source
Newly Registered

Postby Lucky777 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:49 pm

...I wasn't going to say anything, but considering that I actually noticed myself laughing loudly at the class descriptions and shit, I guess I should mention them.

They're pretty hilarious.

GODDAMNIT, SYNTHETICS WITH WATERPROOFING NEED TO BE ALLOWED IN THE POOL.

Also

I before E in Shield.
Lucky777

Postby DarkHedgehog » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:55 pm

This looks interesting!
Can't wait too see how this will evolve.
:)
(Hedge)Hogging It All Up!
The Darkest and Edgiest hedgehog!
DarkHedgehog

Postby Pram » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:28 am

Are you gonna keep all the characters from the Splatformer? I'd be a bit disappointed if I couldn't use Liru, Felicia or Taokaka anymore in the new game.
Pram

Postby corta » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:11 am

I've got no idea why icons are so fun.. but they are.

so, here's what the skill-tree is gonna kinda look like.

skills early.png

and, because you might not be able to guess, they are..

[it changed, nevermind.]

also, "meta" is planned to be cash AND xp.
dna based currency! (it'll make more sense with the rest of the story, I hope.)

I've decided that the spare weapon perk might as well be free and split-shot (ricochet) will be a scaling skill.

Stubborn gives you extra power during "hit the keys to escape" or whatever I end up going with.
velvet lets you fill bars faster in H scenes.
and reverence and pliant will change your expressions during encounters. (along with your personality(this might get difficult.))
there's a good chance that reverence gets swapped out when I think of something better.

I'd like to design most of these to scale forever, but costs for will go up each level.

Myuu Wrote:I-I'm a four eyes nerdface? :oops:

awl zees emoshuns..

dang, I'm a good writer.

Lucky777 Wrote:I before E in Shield.

F*CK.

zombie_source Wrote:Main question: will you make krystal model for this new "Swarm" project?

Pram Wrote:Are you gonna keep all the characters from the Splatformer? I'd be a bit disappointed if I couldn't use Liru, Felicia or Taokaka anymore in the new game.

alien class gets everything, they're all in there.

krystal is even a preset, c'mon now!
I'll add the rest of 'em, too, I guess.

DarkHedgehog Wrote:This looks interesting!
Can't wait too see how this will evolve.
:)

excellent choice of words :D
Last edited by corta on Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
corta

Postby Pram » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:05 am

Oh duh there they are, looks like they aren't all in though, Tao's missing her shadow eyes and some other tidbits aren't there. Thanks for the quick response Corta!
Pram

Postby sinhunter » Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:26 am

I'm just wondering have you considered what will be the next zone after you finish putting the new mechanics systems and Zerg Zone into the game Corta?

Also the new character creation is nice and less messy. The new class system will also benefit people in different ways depending on what gameplay they're looking for. Though I hope that if HP of the character reach zero it isn't one of those get a Game Over scene (or H Game Over Scene) and get kicked to the Title Menu considering players that go for a H Tree experience will be getting hit a lot by enemies and reach zero Hp more often than players aiming for Melee and Range tree experience.
sinhunter

Postby Lucky777 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:47 pm

A bit of a shame you can't build your own mishmash character anymore, too, but this works.

Also...

...Wait, if it's both EXP AND MONEY... do you have to lose levels and upgrades in order to afford guns and christmas presents?
Lucky777

Postby CranicalHead » Fri Oct 10, 2014 4:03 pm

Hi Everybody :)
I can't play the game (when I click on the window, it has an net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET after loading a little) same thing when I try to download the game (save link as) so was wondering if you could provide another link to download the game ? please
I had the same problem with Ivan-Adler's game (MIM.PUT) but now it's fine, I think he gave another link.
Anyway I already played the game before, older version I guess, and found it awesome :D , Keep on the good work Corta!
EDIT: I managed to donwload the game :? and "Swarm character Builder" looks great.
CranicalHead

Postby corta » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:11 pm

half an update, because things are going super slow this past while..

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

SWaRM_SkillMenuMain.swf [ 5.8 MiB | Viewed 11250 times ]

can you guys read the tooltips easily enough?
I can, but I'm .. uhh.. magic.

re-worked the skills, and gave out some better sounding names.
I'll get it working as an in-game menu once I've got the test room to calm down again.

and I suppose that I should add tooltips to the perks, or something..

## hmm, the unlock buttons for the perks sometimes don't reset right in this preview.. ahh well, you get the idea. skill-up something else and they'll flip over.

CranicalHead Wrote: Keep on the good work Corta!

:D

Lucky777 Wrote:...Wait, if it's both EXP AND MONEY... do you have to lose levels and upgrades in order to afford guns and christmas presents?

what? no..

..what?!

sinhunter Wrote:The new class system will also benefit people in different ways depending on what gameplay they're looking for.

no it wont.
swarm is gonna be a mostly gun-main, whatever offhand sort of game.
pressing the swap button with a non-gun weapon in slot 2 will wind up your melee attack, and releasing it swings. (kinda morrow-windey.)
that's the best idea that I can come up with, that doesnt have me re-making every idle/walk/run/dodge/crouch/jump stance for the thee types of melee weapons..

sinhunter Wrote: Though I hope that if HP of the character reach zero it isn't one of those get a Game Over scene (or H Game Over Scene) and get kicked to the Title Menu considering players that go for a H Tree experience will be getting hit a lot by enemies and reach zero Hp more often than players aiming for Melee and Range tree experience.

I want every skill to be 'useful' to every class, but I'm still deciding how I want to handle game-overs.
current idea: 0 hp knocks you down, and leaves you 'open'. and seed is the only way to recover health, outside safe zones.

Pram Wrote:Tao's missing her shadow eyes and some other tidbits aren't there.

the face lists are the same for every class, and tao's eyes are locked out. (because they look bad with every other head)
the preset will fix that, but what should her species name be? ..shady-cat-hood?
corta

Postby Pram » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:31 pm

If I can be a big nerd here for a sec: In Blazblue, she's one of a hundred clones genetically engineered from a great hero named Jubei, who's literally a bipedal housecat. They're known as the Kaka clan, with their names ending in that suffix.

So I guess Kaka cat, OR Beastkin, as in that game, people with animal features are referred to as that (Makoto is also a beastkin.)

I think the easiest thing to do would be make a 'beastkin' species and put all the animal girls in there (Tao, Makoto, Felicia, Liru, dunno who else.)
Pram

Postby Lucky777 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:42 pm

corta Wrote:
Lucky777 Wrote:...Wait, if it's both EXP AND MONEY... do you have to lose levels and upgrades in order to afford guns and christmas presents?

what? no..

..what?!

Well, EXP gives you levels, but only if you hoard and accumulate it.

If you GET exp, you get levels.

But if you SPEND exp you can lose levels, since spending is the opposite of hoarding.

You SPEND money, but HOARD exp, and yet one thing is said to serve both purposes.

So I was wondering if you had to spend exp and thus lose levels and their associated level-up bonuses ... in order to afford whatever you buy with money, like guns or gifts.

corta Wrote:current idea: 0 hp knocks you down, and leaves you 'open'. and seed is the only way to recover health, outside safe zones.

Works for me.
A bit amusing that you have to get knocked down in order to regain health by getting knocked up.
But amusing works.

Also, I can read the tooltips, but I wouldn't mind 'em bein' a bit bigger.
And yes.
I agree that you should certainly add tool-tips to the perks.
Lucky777

Postby [Brand_Name] » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:54 am

hey you

yeah, you.

you rock
Peace & Light
[Brand_Name]

Postby sinhunter » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:19 am

corta Wrote:

sinhunter Wrote: Though I hope that if HP of the character reach zero it isn't one of those get a Game Over scene (or H Game Over Scene) and get kicked to the Title Menu considering players that go for a H Tree experience will be getting hit a lot by enemies and reach zero Hp more often than players aiming for Melee and Range tree experience.

I want every skill to be 'useful' to every class, but I'm still deciding how I want to handle game-overs.
current idea: 0 hp knocks you down, and leaves you 'open'. and seed is the only way to recover health, outside safe zones.

Well that sound about the right way to handle 0 HP for the game like this.
sinhunter

Postby DarkHedgehog » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:57 pm

Lucky777 Wrote:
corta Wrote:

what? no..

..what?!

Well, EXP gives you levels, but only if you hoard and accumulate it.

If you GET exp, you get levels.

But if you SPEND exp you can lose levels, since spending is the opposite of hoarding.

You SPEND money, but HOARD exp, and yet one thing is said to serve both purposes.

So I was wondering if you had to spend exp and thus lose levels and their associated level-up bonuses ... in order to afford whatever you buy with money, like guns or gifts.

Dark Souls style?
EXP and Money as the same thing, you use an amount of EXP to level up, or use it for items.
That could make sense, yes?
(Hedge)Hogging It All Up!
The Darkest and Edgiest hedgehog!
DarkHedgehog

Postby Lucky777 » Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:20 pm

That's a way you could do it, yeah.
That'd make level-ups into "things you have to 'buy' with the exp" instead of just "things you 'get' for having exp and then have to lose when you spend some of that exp."
I'm wondering how it'll work.
Lucky777

Postby Terrantor!!! » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:49 am

Your icons bring me back to Dreamcast/GameCube days w/ Phantasy Star Online, lol.
Terrantor!!!

Postby NelsonFoxPaws » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:21 am

Skills... Well, it will be fun =) When did you add to the game itself? Maybe you've already answered this question, but I'm too lazy to look
NelsonFoxPaws

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects