Corta'SPLATFORMER

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER

Postby LeonStrey » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:07 am

corta Wrote:
sinhunter Wrote:current targeting sign looks fine to me.

Don't need it to be too complex so stick with either the "X" shape or the classic Cross Shape.

I think it should look like this.. 8-)

SWaRM choiceWheel.swf

Corta, this game you are working on looks very impressive. I hope you'll finish it~
LeonStrey
Newly Registered

Postby corta » Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:58 pm

stuff is coming along without too much fuss,
either I'm getting better at code or I'm quickly using up all of my luck..

pick-a-gun works like this.

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

SWaRM WeaponMenu.swf [ 199.05 KiB | Viewed 9202 times ]

quick-swaps and melee weaps comin' up later.
and the part-two of this one is still going.

swarm gunplate.png
swarm gunplate.png (66.4 KiB) Viewed 9202 times

the bars light up and all that, but ain't no code yet.
and there's tooltips, but I hope that my icons make sense, I spent a while on them (aim, impact, rate-of-fire, capacity, reload speed, spread, range. btw.)

also, serious question -- are gun upgrades dumb?
I hate wasting time and gamebucks upgrading stuff that I think I'll be trading in later on.. but.. some people seem to enjoy it..

I've got the idea for an upgradable re-loader device that effects everything you use, but I'm still not sure if per-gun upgrades are gonna be a thing or not. :|
could do lazy on-type upgrades like [scope - better accuracy and damage with long-range weapons] [buckshot - better blah-blah on shotguns] etc.

I'm not going to be making any of these straight away, but it's good that I can build myself a few 'ins' as I go, rather than shoe-horn it all in later on.

so, thoughts?

LeonStrey Wrote:Corta, this game you are working on looks very impressive. I hope you'll finish it~

even if I hate it, I'll work on it for at least a year or two.
..it's my thing. :lol:
Active Thread: [ Flash Edits ][27th July/19]
Looking to donate? I've got pages for Patreon, SubscribeStar and Paypal.me!
corta

Re: Corta'SPLATFORMER -- SWaRM Menu MANIA

Postby Tsai » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:25 pm

Gun up grades could be cool depending on how mechanics focused you were gonna make the game, like if you wanted a good system of currency/exploration/or experience points.
Tsai

Postby Nobudi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Replacing your weapons for better ones is a type of upgrade in of itself.
If you wanna do some sort of gun upgrades, you'd probably want to make the guns have some sort of unique function in its upgrade.
For example, maybe an alternative firing mode, armor puncturing, multi- hit, etc..
Nobudi

Postby Tenebrys » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:38 pm

corta Wrote:quite a few people were after an as3 version, too
when it gets done, I'll make a section on the release post for your version. ;)

Thank you! Then I start it :p
Tenebrys

Postby tripflip » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:47 pm

I definitely like weapon type upgrades a lot more than individual weapon upgrades. I'm the kind of player that wouldn't waste resources on upgrading anything I knew that I would be replacing at some point. Just my two cents.
Support Ivan-Aedler, Blargh and me making dirty, filthy things like PUT at https://www.patreon.com/aef22?ty=h
Find the latest version of PUT at viewtopic.php?f=34&t=2265
tripflip

Postby LeonStrey » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:20 pm

Personally I like upgrading in general. It lets you get more personalized with how you play games and stuff. In most games I go dual-wielding swords and speed upgrades if I can~
LeonStrey
Newly Registered

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:42 pm

corta Wrote:I hate wasting time and gamebucks upgrading stuff that I think I'll be trading in later on.

Yeah, me too.

Upgrades that you don't lose when you lose a SPECIFIC weapon are fine - and one way to acquire such upgrades is to upgrade the character, not the weapon.
No matter what gun you use, if you've upgraded "aim" you are more likely to hit, etc etc.
"Per TYPE" upgrades might work too I guess.

While I don't care overmuch either way since I'll probably rarely shoot anything anyway, my vote is for not spending time on per "individual specific gun" upgrades.
Lucky777

Postby HighWind7 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Where can i find the most up to date version of this game? would love to be able to try it out :)
HighWind7

Postby DCF » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:00 pm

HighWind7 Wrote:Where can i find the most up to date version of this game? would love to be able to try it out :)

The most up to date version in in the OP. It's old hold while Corta works on a new game; there has not been a complete demo of this new game released so much as previews like the character selection interface.
DCF

Postby HighWind7 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:30 am

Oh okay thanks very much :) cant wait to see the finished product. What is the new game Corta is working on?
HighWind7

Postby DCF » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:04 am

HighWind7 Wrote:Oh okay thanks very much :) cant wait to see the finished product. What is the new game Corta is working on?

It's called SWaRM. It looks like the gameplay is going to be along the same lines but also including a character creation system, dialogue with choices, etc.
DCF

Postby HighWind7 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:00 am

Oh okay thanks very much :) are there any available versions yet? (sorry about all the questions :/)
HighWind7

Postby DCF » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:07 pm

No. He's posted stuff like the character creator but nothing that's actually playable.
DCF

Postby corta » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm

ought to be time for an update, huh?

things were going so well.. until a tiny little glitch stops EVERYTHING

I guess that showing is the best way to explain..

Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

SWaRM.swf [ 8.48 MiB | Viewed 6632 times ]

use "load" for unlocks and quick-start.

the game is nothing but a walking box, a (now, stripped-down) characeter creator and less than half a pause menu.

this problem.. it's almost nothing, but there's a few frames of lag that happen when you use the melee attack or jump.
it's ruining my "game feel" and I've still got no idea what's causing it.
basically, I won't let me move on until it's fixed.

also, yeah. a lot of the menu things don't link up, yet.
since I noticed the lag, it's been nothing but that.. and I've lost every bit of momentum I'd been trying to build :(
corta

Postby Tsai » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:45 pm

Awww don't give up! I wish I could offer more encouragement or help but I don't know how to program. Is it possible the character model may have broken in some way during the transition?
Tsai

Postby DCF » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Great work so far. I wish you luck in finding the problem.
DCF

Postby corta » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:15 pm

Tsai Wrote:Awww don't give up! I wish I could offer more encouragement or help but I don't know how to program. Is it possible the character model may have broken in some way during the transition?

nope. the body is standard in all animations, they all link to the same MCs.

it's not any block code, either. because I've swapped between various backups and even the old splatformer build and it's been in all of them.
I've chased all the variables linked with the key and stance variables, but I still can't see anything wrong..
it's not the animation itself, becuase there's actually 4 different "variations" that are totally unique as far as flash is concerned.

I can queue up the animation laglessly in one very specific setup.
If I'm gonna find my fix, it's gonna reveal itself around there.

more testing tomorrow, I'm worn out :cry:

DCF Wrote:Great work so far. I wish you luck in finding the problem.

:)
corta

Postby Allsop2604 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:10 pm

Wow, between the amount of customization and fluent animation/movement I'm awestruck. I hope you're resolve the programming issue as quickly and as stress-free as possible. Simply because I can hardly wait to see future updates. I honestly think your the most talented flash animator and game designer in the field (if you can call it a field :P ). Please never stop.
^.^
Allsop2604

Postby koraland » Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:08 am

"also, serious question -- are gun upgrades dumb?
I hate wasting time and gamebucks upgrading stuff that I think I'll be trading in later on.. but.. some people seem to enjoy it.."

I personally don't like gun upgrades because when I come across a better gun I feel like I wasted my time upgrading it which then makes me hesitant to upgrade in the first place. btw the option wheel looks awesome as well as everything else and I'm looking forward to see how this project comes together!
koraland
Newly Registered

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects