Breeding Season: Alpha Version 5.3 [Update 11/3/14]

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Breeding Season: Alpha Version 5.3 [Update 11/3/14]

Postby WonderGamer » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:45 pm

The game is at least playable, that's the plus side here over most other games on these forums. I'm not trying to get into peoples faces on this, but most of the games here do not have complete playability, this one does as far as I can see. The main thing seems to be the mix of old & new graphics if that's what you're talking about, but my understanding is he's trying to (or at least was; been quite a while since we had an update) transfer over all the graphics to the new system; I'm just not sure what life issues has detoured him from progressing this time...
"It just keeps getting better"
"Live on, play hard. WonderGamer out!"

WonderGamer

Postby HohesHaus » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:31 pm

For what is breeding power for? How are the stars of consumables calculated?
HohesHaus

Postby FloraMeriadoc » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:36 am

SITMWU Wrote:It's been close to half a year since I last checked up on this game... Holy crap, it's even MORE unfinished than it was when I last checked it. At least then it still had some of the old graphics for mating scenes.

This game was a more complete product a year ago, before the Update "11/3/14", it's even more unfinished NOW. What's in store for the future, going back to source code. I feel so bad for any poor sap that supported this fiasco.

you might want to check the blog for the most rescent version of the game and not on this forum page

here you have the version 5.3, on the blog it's 5.8, if you haven't tried that version yet, well maybe it's time for you to try it

there is a major change from the old version to this new one even more new stuff if you want to become a patron
FloraMeriadoc

Postby DerPeter » Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:14 pm

SITMWU Wrote:It's been close to half a year since I last checked up on this game... Holy crap, it's even MORE unfinished than it was when I last checked it. At least then it still had some of the old graphics for mating scenes.

This game was a more complete product a year ago, before the Update "11/3/14", it's even more unfinished NOW. What's in store for the future, going back to source code. I feel so bad for any poor sap that supported this fiasco.

I don't want to say you sound butthurt, ... but you sound butthurt.
The game is developing faster than ever, the next update (6.1) will push it further than it was in 5.3, the graphics have improved tremendously and the game now even supports the male breeder, which it didn't in 5.3.
Ofcourse it feel slow and they have to come a long way until the game is "finished", they have to take care about over 600 animations after all, not counting the dozen events requested by patrons or the main story.
But they got a new coworker at the beginning of the year and are now speeding up the process of creating animations drastically. If you want to see the progress they're making, then you can join one of the livestreams each weekday. And if all that didn't got you exited, then this will: http://vanillycheesecake.tumblr.com/image/115271058925 :)
DerPeter

Postby rakgi » Fri May 01, 2015 4:54 am

600 animations...i have version 6.0 theres tops 30 animations in the game not 600 and a lot of the animations that used to be in the game before they upgraded still haven't been put in yet.
rakgi

Postby Tovi » Fri May 01, 2015 12:19 pm

Ugh. We're only recently starting to get out of this loop of uninformed jabs at the dev team over at the blog.

I'm in no way involved in this project, not even a backer, but at least I've read through the blog before getting pushy with the state of affairs with a game no longer primarily hosted on this page.

Breeding Season due to the MASSIVE flood of backers is being inflated. They get more money than they can (with work hours in mind) really handle, and thus the backers start screaming for content they backed but aren't seeing in "their game" as they like to formulate it. This got absurd recently during the Ludum Dare when people started abandoning ship like rats from a sinking ship - just because Hartista and some of his devs decided to participate on their own time off work. Seriously people, get some perspective.

Scolding aside: As has been apparent by the latest patches, The team is currently focusing on what any sane developer should be doing with a game in dev-phase: The game. Not 600 scenes for creatures not even out of concept-phase yet, but solid game features that will be used by the core engine for ages to come. You can't build a house without a solid base, and they are doing a good job reworking their old one to something that can actually handle all the awesome things they're going to put in it. Hartista has already said that they will not "grab the money and run", but they are still realizing just how much time game development takes, and what they also know is that just hiring more people wildly will set back the progress even further.

Hopefully some of you will have gotten something out of this minor rant, otherwise I can only refer to the blog, because that's where both answers to the community's questions and unstable branches takes place.
I make art sometimes! ^^
parsleyparakeet.tumblr.com
Tovi

Postby rakgi » Fri May 01, 2015 9:20 pm

Mhm mhm, just wish they would concentrate on making it fully playable before adding more to it...will people scream and be mad? hell ya....if they do the opposite will they scream and be mad? hell ya so from that point they are ok haha. They need to have priorities on fixing everything but they seem to keep wanting to add more animations and events etc -___-!
rakgi

Postby blackcore11 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:23 pm

i cant get my save files to load. i get really far too, and when i "save" and try to re-load my save nothing happens.
blackcore11

Postby Doxkid » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:42 pm

Save the game AND THEN EXPORT THAT SAVE. Later you will import it back.

Saving has been wonky for a while in this game, but it currently works halfway alright if you do it like that.
Doxkid
Newly Registered

Postby Sadako » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:29 am

I'm glad they bit the bullet and started over. It'll be better in the end, with a little bit of patience.

It's not like you can't un-back their Patreon and then resupport it later. You aren't locked into it.
I've opened up writing tryouts again
Sadako

Postby blackcore11 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:52 am

Doxkid Wrote:Save the game AND THEN EXPORT THAT SAVE. Later you will import it back.

Saving has been wonky for a while in this game, but it currently works halfway alright if you do it like that.

i tried that, and every time i try to re-load it says "save files loaded" but nothing happens.
blackcore11

Postby Shaknah » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:14 pm

How do I get the modifiers to go up? So far they seem mostly random, staying about at E with a few D and -. I've had like 8 offspring with this one pair and none of the offspring have superior modifiers. Most have worse, the rest are just juggled a bit.

Possibly related, what the heck is Breeding Strength from the Strength stat? Does it increase base stats and modifiers for offspring?

Playing the alpha off the Blogspot, 6.0.2. Having a lot of fun with it, but just worried I won't survive the doubling payments unless I understand the basic mechanics. I only just started breeding traits towards the end of month 2... Someone linked to a FAQ several pages ago, but the page was taken down.

Thanks in advance!
Shaknah

Postby Dragoneater » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Shaknah Wrote:How do I get the modifiers to go up? So far they seem mostly random, staying about at E with a few D and -. I've had like 8 offspring with this one pair and none of the offspring have superior modifiers. Most have worse, the rest are just juggled a bit.

Possibly related, what the heck is Breeding Strength from the Strength stat? Does it increase base stats and modifiers for offspring?

Playing the alpha off the Blogspot, 6.0.2. Having a lot of fun with it, but just worried I won't survive the doubling payments unless I understand the basic mechanics. I only just started breeding traits towards the end of month 2... Someone linked to a FAQ several pages ago, but the page was taken down.

Thanks in advance!

Its based off the monsters ur breeding take a look at the stats and which 2 mate affects stats (example monster a has a +for stam but be has a - for stam monster A's stam goes down while B goes up
Dragoneater
Newly Registered

Postby Shaknah » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:01 am

Thanks, but different version. The alpha on their blog doesn't have those + and - marks. Unless I just haven't seen them, but I did see them in the version in the OP.

Seems to have changed pretty fundamentally. Stats go up on leveling up, or sometimes when consuming "food". The side effects of the food have changed a lot too, and the annoying time system is replaced with an energy one. So I can check on things and even visit town without worrying about wasting progress.

But yeah... Stats go up on level up, according to the monster's own modifiers. Monsters with a dash in a stat seem to never advance in it. My best monsters have all E, with a couple of D on my best ones. But breeding those best monsters together never results in a better set of modifiers, and often they're worse. (It's not incest either, I avoid that even though I'm not sure what the penalty is.)

I am noticing that my highest level monsters seem to have offspring with higher starting stats. I'm guessing that's based off the Strength stat, which affects "Breeding Strength". Mainly because the other stats have well-explained results.

Sadly the main character has dashes in everything, so never gains any stats :cry: Can level up and have children just fine though (well, she's *very* infertile. But persistence solves that, since the breeding chance increases if you keep trying the same pairing).
Shaknah

Postby hoang_nam.1993 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:22 pm

this game is great, i play it on adobe flash player 16 but i can not load it, yet i save it with file .sav then open game choose load ->import- choose saved file-> open it says "save files loaded" but nothing happens, did i make any mistake
hoang_nam.1993
Newly Registered

Postby ValturNaa » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:27 pm

Nice game concept, does need a few bug fixes but I understand it's a WIP. I find it very interesting to compare the version here with the version currently available on his main site, 4.9 I think? In a lot of ways, this version makes more sense. Demanding orders be filled by stats, for instance, instead of levels. In the new version, is there any real benefit to breeding higher stats? Not to mention getting new types of monsters. Yet, here, it seems to be designed for auto-skip to be checked, as occasionally the skip chat button causes the whole game to freeze up. Lost a lot of progress last night (I hadn't saved for at least one full game month) when a catgirl event wouldn't let me click chase away. Keeping up with the payments also gets annoying, and the contracts constantly demand finding new traits to breed in. But, whatever. Bugs aside, it's a lot of fun.

hoang, are you talking about the flash player on the downloadable version? Try exporting a save file. It doesn't appear to produce one automatically so after you save just hit export. And then I enabled the hidden property on mine so it won't show up in the file system.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby NoblesseOblige » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:36 pm

I love seeing these guys stream on Picarto when they are doing a jam session. If anyone is a fan of pixel art, you should totally watch them stream :D
NoblesseOblige

Postby Shaknah » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:40 am

What the heck does the Power stat do?
How do I raise breeding modifiers?
There was some interesting info in the comments for the latest blog-post, but no answer to those two questions. I totally understand that the mechanics changed recently... I'm just hoping someone has an answer already.
(Talking about the alpha from the Blogspot again, not the old version in the original post)
Shaknah

Postby ValturNaa » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:00 am

I can't be sure, but I think breeding power increases the experience received during breeding. Kind of like charisma but for the breeding partner. At least it seems to me that my strongest breeders give the most experience.

The breeding modifiers (or rather, growth modifiers) don't appear to change during the monster's lifetime. However, with patience you can breed monsters with higher modifiers. I've only recently gotten my second D grade modifier on a monster; most of them have full E with one D.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby XDovaX » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:24 am

I love the game can't w8 for version 6.3 ;D
XDovaX
Newly Registered

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects