Breeding Season: Alpha Version 5.2 [Update 10/1/14]

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Thaedael » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:18 pm

So you want to start making money on your game? Well then here are a few things you should be aware of! First off, drop the name malboro and vierra! That would be to avoid any legal complications. If you wish to continue to gain support through LoK, I do recommend still holding independent polls on the forum that helped you get a gathering, that way we as well get an increase in flow of traffic, scratch ours scratch yours etc.

That being said, in the long run you could sell it for money but then you get into the weird grounds of other people pirating and redistributing your game, especially since it's flash. This leaves it to either crowd-sourcing (such as offbeater.com, the route that fleshcult went) this allows you to give rewards to those that invest early, you get your lump sum of money ahead of time and that way you can continue to work on it while not being nearly as worried about the means of your existence. The other option is to continue to build a following and do like Fenoxo with corrupt of champions which has updates and donation drives. Either way works, and maybe go so far as to try and get in touch with Fenoxo, he tends to give the fenoxo bro-bump that helps get other projects more followers, though yours doesn't have transformation as a main focus, but should appeal to many there.

Other than that, always put a link in your game back to your blog spot, that way if it gets redistributed without people crediting you, they know where it is from! If you ever need help with co-ordinating with the site, the moderating team will go out of your way to help, I would know, was one for the majority of the time here (as well as majority of the site's existence too actually).

Edit; also you can spread out through other vectors, self-releasing a build on e621.net furaffinity etc. Cast a big net, so that you get more users, and eventually as you build an identity you will have a larger pool of ressources to pull from

Source; years of doing this with pixel art.
Thaedael
 

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby HartistaPipebomb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:22 pm

Actually, Ironvein, I didn't intentionally put up monsters that had parts I could reuse, I just put up monsters that people have expressed interest in.

That said, I don't necessarily agree with you re:reusing assets. At this point I can add derivative monsters much faster than original monsters, so while they aren't as exciting they'll add a lot of variety to the monster selection more quickly. Realistically I am going to be doing a mix of both.
HartistaPipebomb
 
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Alluvion » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:38 pm

I see that you gave the option to donate, and will also open polls up to be influenced by donations. This is a good start, but I would like to donate money to see the inclusion of the things I discussed in a previous post (genital sizes/stats, etc.) Would you be interested in accepting a donation for this type of work?
Alluvion
Newly Registered
 
Joined: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:20 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby HartistaPipebomb » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:52 pm

Thaedael wrote:So you want to start making money on your game? Well then here are a few things you should be aware of! First off, drop the name malboro and vierra! That would be to avoid any legal complications. If you wish to continue to gain support through LoK, I do recommend still holding independent polls on the forum that helped you get a gathering, that way we as well get an increase in flow of traffic, scratch ours scratch yours etc.

That being said, in the long run you could sell it for money but then you get into the weird grounds of other people pirating and redistributing your game, especially since it's flash. This leaves it to either crowd-sourcing (such as offbeater.com, the route that fleshcult went) this allows you to give rewards to those that invest early, you get your lump sum of money ahead of time and that way you can continue to work on it while not being nearly as worried about the means of your existence. The other option is to continue to build a following and do like Fenoxo with corrupt of champions which has updates and donation drives. Either way works, and maybe go so far as to try and get in touch with Fenoxo, he tends to give the fenoxo bro-bump that helps get other projects more followers, though yours doesn't have transformation as a main focus, but should appeal to many there.

Other than that, always put a link in your game back to your blog spot, that way if it gets redistributed without people crediting you, they know where it is from! If you ever need help with co-ordinating with the site, the moderating team will go out of your way to help, I would know, was one for the majority of the time here (as well as majority of the site's existence too actually).

Edit; also you can spread out through other vectors, self-releasing a build on e621.net furaffinity etc. Cast a big net, so that you get more users, and eventually as you build an identity you will have a larger pool of ressources to pull from

Source; years of doing this with pixel art.


Thanks for the advice!

I'll definitely make sure that I try to repay you guys here at LoK for your hospitality (would it be appropriate for me to add a LoK logo to the game?).

I was thinking initially that maybe I could hope to avoid legal issues with parody creatures due to taking donations rather than selling the game itself, but that's probably a dangerous road so I ought to just go the safe route (Ruins the joke where the Marlboro consumable would be Cigarettes, though :P). I do know that I don't intend to sell it; I'd much rather have paying for the game be optional.

I'm not familiar with offbeater, is it just kickstarter for adult projects? Because in that case, that sounds fantastic and exactly like something I'd like to look into.

Also, ironically, I just spoke with Fenoxo last night! I didn't even do it intentionally: I stumbled into a chat client when I was checking out referrer links to my blog.

I went ahead and made a thread for my game at futanaripalace. I'm not familiar with all the big names in this sort of stuff so I'm not sure where to go to promote it.
HartistaPipebomb
 
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Thaedael » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:04 pm

Sounds like you are on you way.

It is indeed just a kickstarter. What fleschult did, is essentially it has a free to play version, and then different reward schemes for those that donated, such as ability to name creatures, play more days (it has a time limit) etc. So you could do something like that, but then you are much more likely to have to actually stick to a deadline of sorts as people get more dissent when their money is tied up in a project that takes time (even though by the spirit/rules/contracts that is what they should expect but I digress).

I think the fenoxo route might be better in that regards, but then you don't get gauranteed funding up front (or in your case living expenses etc.). Both have pro/cons. Perhaps do a combination ?

I think names should be left different, and things that are distinctly trademarked be avoided. So like a chocobo can just be a big golden bird. Similar, but not exactly the same =P. The parody clause may (may) be used as a defense claim but the best way to avoid potential problems is just to avoid them. Then again doubt square enix would come after you.

edit; and of course we would be honored to be continued to be associated with your project! So feel free to use logo!
Thaedael
 

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Calpico » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:28 pm

I'd be willing to pay you to add monsters that I want to the game
Calpico
 
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby QuizmasterBos » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:46 pm

You want to make money of this game?
Why don't you just set up PayPal and put a link in your signature?

Then, people can just give you money if they want to. And shouldn't you be safe from the copyright owners since you aren't linking the money to the game?
User avatar
QuizmasterBos
 
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:31 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Thaedael » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:56 pm

Typically give because they want something in return. I know I would!
Thaedael
 

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby FruitSmoothie » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:31 am

Although I love werewolves, I went with Minotaurs since we already have wolves.
FruitSmoothie
 
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:54 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby HartistaPipebomb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:18 am

Thaedael wrote:Typically give because they want something in return. I know I would!


A slightly less cynical way to look at it is that people are much more likely to pay if they feel like their money is having a measurable effect on the game. I think there's a lot more motivation to give if they can say that their money is directly responsible for such and such monster being in the game.
HartistaPipebomb
 
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Thaedael » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:24 am

I wouldn't say cynical. I am training for urban planning, you would be surprised how much you can predict what will happen based on human behavior ^_~.
Thaedael
 

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby dakingcartoon » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:57 am

when will there be scenes for haultarus? i love lactation and big breasts and i just know that there will be so much milk coming out of those nipples! (:E
its a surname...
dakingcartoon
 
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:08 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby HartistaPipebomb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:29 am

So unfortunately I can't go the Offbeatr route because they don't allow incest or bestiality.

I think I may do something along the lines of offering to allow people to "commission" me to add things to the game, along with the "pay for votes" system. Not sure yet.
HartistaPipebomb
 
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby coldcrow » Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:08 am

This game is increadibly addicting!

Only thing I could possibly ask for is more falatio, oral, BJ's. (How ever you prefer to call it.)

Other than that I am having way to much fun with this game, and I hate farming games normally. xD

Also trying to breed a cat with 3 attributes (cruel,etc) took me about 2 hours. @_@ mind in creasing the rate a tad?
Attachments
Untitled.png
coldcrow
Newly Registered
 
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:48 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby psyduck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:25 am

HartistaPipebomb wrote:So unfortunately I can't go the Offbeatr route because they don't allow incest or bestiality.

I think I may do something along the lines of offering to allow people to "commission" me to add things to the game, along with the "pay for votes" system. Not sure yet.


thats how fenoxo does it for his Corruption of Champions thing, and he's living off of it...so its a viable option. Also, are most of the monsters in the options gonna be in the game eventually?
psyduck
 
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby HartistaPipebomb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:00 am

psyduck wrote:
HartistaPipebomb wrote:So unfortunately I can't go the Offbeatr route because they don't allow incest or bestiality.

I think I may do something along the lines of offering to allow people to "commission" me to add things to the game, along with the "pay for votes" system. Not sure yet.


thats how fenoxo does it for his Corruption of Champions thing, and he's living off of it...so its a viable option. Also, are most of the monsters in the options gonna be in the game eventually?


Eventually is a long, long time :P.

They're all monsters I'd like to put in the game, no idea if/when that will happen.

EDIT: What do you all think is a reasonable price for a monster commission?
HartistaPipebomb
 
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:24 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby psyduck » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:11 am

HartistaPipebomb wrote:
psyduck wrote:
HartistaPipebomb wrote:So unfortunately I can't go the Offbeatr route because they don't allow incest or bestiality.

I think I may do something along the lines of offering to allow people to "commission" me to add things to the game, along with the "pay for votes" system. Not sure yet.


thats how fenoxo does it for his Corruption of Champions thing, and he's living off of it...so its a viable option. Also, are most of the monsters in the options gonna be in the game eventually?


Eventually is a long, long time :P.

They're all monsters I'd like to put in the game, no idea if/when that will happen.

EDIT: What do you all think is a reasonable price for a monster commission?


Depends how long it takes to animate and add them. I'd imagine 30-50 per, or you can always do character auctions, like put a group of creatures on a list, and have people donate in the name of that monster, and w/e monster has more donations wins!
psyduck
 
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:53 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby yillsemkcuf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:49 am

Just A wonder-in, can yoy have a single creature with +'s in all six stats? I've managed to get five in a few of the races and was wondering if I was just wasting my time going for gold. Thx
"A Pessimist is what an optimist calls a Realist."
User avatar
yillsemkcuf
 
Joined: Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:36 am

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby Bla2alB » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:18 am

I would recommend you to set following donation system:
Set a price for adding new monsters in the game (let’s say 500$). And put a list of monster you are planning to add in the game. Then ask people to donate money on the monster they like. As soon as donations for specific creature reach the goal, put monster in the game.
This will act as a voting pool, but people will vote with their money.

Personally I would donate 50$ for adding upgrade functionality in the game.
Add 10 $ for the job you’ve done so far.

Sorry for my English. )
User avatar
Bla2alB
 
Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:24 pm

Re: Breeding Season (Monster Breeder) [New Poll 3/6/2013]

Postby xxumberxx » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Vote for minotaurs or I hope you get anally ravished by one in the middle of the night.
xxumberxx
 
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:56 am

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: betero