PokéMorph (Discontinued)

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Ex-Lurker's Pokemon Game

Postby Dapper Gent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:42 am

What Deadman said, Geist. Looking great!

They're all in the game now. :D I added in a little showcase room to show what sprites we have so far....with a spoiler warning before looking at them. Then the game starts in Bay's room. Also, new version up! Just a slight extension and some light changes. I did the new Gen thing and mashed the Pokecenters and Pokemarts together to make one building. Only remote Pokecenters will keep the original look throughout the game (like the one on Rt 3).

Geist, did you get the message I sent awhile ago? I'm not sure if it went through and it's not showing up in my sent box.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:06 am

Wait, why was my thread moved to Non-Flash? If I'm not mistaken the program I'm using for it is Flash based....
Dapper Gent

Postby geist » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:35 pm

i don't have any new messages, at the moment
geist

Postby Zeus Kabob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 pm

Sorry about that, I think I must have moved it on accident since I didn't see the game embedded.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Dapper Gent » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:08 pm

S'all good! I was just confused about the move. Thanks for fixing it. :]
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:21 am

Alrighty, time now to begin the much awaited Pokemon list. I'll only be adding in the art sets I have completed. The Pokemon are listed in order of anticipated appearance.

*All artwork is available in black and white. Send me a PM if you want those versions to color.

Eevee
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

EeveeF.png

EeveeH.png

EeveeB.png

Rattata

RatattaF.png

RattataB.png

RattataH.png

Pidgey

PidgeyF.png

PidgeyB.png

PidgeyH.png

Spearow

SpearowF.png

SpearowB.png

SpearowH.png

Magikarp
Special Pokemon#1
Caterpie

CaterpieF.png

CaterpieB.png

CaterpieH.png

Metapod

MetapodF.png
MetapodF.png (171.67 KiB) Viewed 8035 times

MetapodH.png
MetapodH.png (206.33 KiB) Viewed 8035 times

MetapodB.png

Weedle (Will likely redo)

WeedleF.png

WeedleH.png

WeedleB.png

Kakuna
Pinsir
Geodude
Onix
Nidoran F
Mankey
Jigglypuff
Sandshrew
Clefairy

ClefairyF.png

ClefairyH.png

ClefairyB.png

Paras
Zubat
Goldeen
Horsea
Krabby
Psyduck
Slowpoke
Charmander
Cubone
Poliwag
Ekans
Bellsprout
Venonat
Bulbsaur
Abra
Oddish
Special Pokemon#2
Arbok

ArbokF.png

ArbokH.png

ArbokB.png

More to come!
Last edited by Dapper Gent on Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:10 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:06 am

Good news! Thanks to Humbird0 I've figured out how to do a lot more work doing his editor so the next update will likely have a lot more content, including battles! As it turns out I had downloaded the wrong version of his editor so I couldn't add in half of the content. But it's all fixed now and my maps were transferred over and edited. I'm just waiting for him to get back to me on a few more things before I upload the new playable version.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:25 pm

Alrighty, here's a brief update.

I've learned how to place and battle trainers. I've also learned how to catch Pokemon using both Pokeballs and Fan Art. So next update will definitely have to some actual gameplay in it!

Things I'm needed to do before next update:

Need to finish the artwork for a handful of Pokemon. Magikarp, Spearow, Weedle, Kakuna, Pinsir. Possibly Diglett, Geodude (or Graveler) and Onix as well. This will complete all of the Pokemon up to Pewter City.
Figure out how to delete items that have been placed. Currently you can pick up the items but they stay in place, allowing them to be picked up infinitely.
Find out how to change the main character that you play. I can't get it off of Ash. >.<
Fix artwork so that there's no white background and they're centered in the enemy box when battling them.
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:15 pm

Alrighty, added Spearow, Weedle and currently working on Kakuna. Still needing to work on the above and waiting for some people to get back to me for a few things.

Here's a couple of W.I.P.'s:

Kakuna

2015-03-21 18.59.18.png

Fearow

Sketch216174728.png
Dapper Gent

Postby Dead2112man » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Great progress you have made
I might not create games, but I will test them, Then I will give advice on what I think needs to be added, removed, or improved.
Official bug tester of Dark Impulses, creators of pokemorph:Pink
Dead2112man

Postby ValturNaa » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:22 am

Can't wait to see how it plays come the next update. Sprites are looking good, but everywhere I run it just says "this will be here." lol ... patience is not my strong point.
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby Dapper Gent » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:28 am

ValturNaa Wrote:Can't wait to see how it plays come the next update. Sprites are looking good, but everywhere I run it just says "this will be here." lol ... patience is not my strong point.

Remember what I said about having the wrong version of the program? Well, that's the one that's currently posted. :P I need to finish the aforementioned things before I post the updated version.

And thanks Deadman! :]
Dapper Gent

Postby Dapper Gent » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:19 am

Eh, decided to go ahead and post another pre-beta update. Details and link is on the main page.
Dapper Gent

Postby ValturNaa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:41 pm

I was doing some experiments with the dialogue using Ash's mom as a subject and uncovered a bizarre glitch. Namely, as soon as I enter the Ketchum house it turns Bay into Ash and puts what looks like a earth burrow around him. Ash can turn but can't move, so it's impossible to either leave or test the dialogue. I've checked the editor but I'm not seeing anything specific. Any idea what's causing this?
I'm not mad. I'm only forty and eighty percent crazy, and that's split between two personalities, which makes me almost half sane.
ValturNaa

Postby ValturNaa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:30 pm

And my theory about continuing dialogue is correct. To make a character speak twice, just add another dialogue command. I'm not sure yet how he made dialogue pause in the middle. When you add a new dialogue box it starts printing from the beginning, even if the text is the same. I suspect it has to do with the many flags he uses in the script, which do not appear in text.

I have also figured out by comparing with Humbird's game how to make items disappear when picked up, and not get picked up again. The sprite's "appearance flag" has to contain no spaces in order to be commanded in the variable menu. This also means the items need unique IDs (I have tested, and with the same ID both objects disappear simultaneously), which is probably why Humbird used !pallet_item_1 and similar for his flags. So, in order to fix the pokeballs and fan art objects in the playground map, I changed their appearance flags to !storage_item_1 and !storage_item_2. Change the last variable command to match this name, minus the !, and press the No Updates button to get Update Sprite Flags. Without all of these steps, the action doesn't work. This appears to make the object invisible plus removing its collision box, so using the set_visible command at the beginning as he does is purely cosmetic.
ValturNaa

Postby ValturNaa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:45 pm

And yes, I found what a few of his flags do. \! forces the dialogue to wait for a click or spacebar, and \. pauses it for a moment before continuing to print. He has a lot of flags to learn but I'm on my way now :)
ValturNaa

Postby Dapper Gent » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:05 am

Can you take screenshots of the final script for reference?
Last edited by Dapper Gent on Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dapper Gent

Postby ValturNaa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:27 am

Not sure how well you can read it but here it is.

poke script.png

Also, a quick note for you, to remove the canvas from battle scenes just set the alpha value outside the pokemon to 0, or the opacity or transparency to 100. Then it'll show the background and not a blank white sheet. You can still use the canvas size to alter the size and position of the pokemon (like maybe bringing caterpie's antennae down out of the pokeballs to where they can be touched?).
ValturNaa

Postby Dapper Gent » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:56 am

Thank you! :D

The screenshot is good but the other info is way more helpful! I need to play around with that and see if the adjustments work. That was one of the things I was waiting on hearing back about. I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the background. I did, however, find out how to re-position the pokemorphs. I just haven't done it yet. ><
Dapper Gent

Postby ValturNaa » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:09 am

Just a sample of imaging from a morph I colored for Humbird's game, so you can see how this works. I did these in inkscape and exported them directly to the size I needed, using an invisible box to set the canvas. Note that the canvas appears white in the browser, but if you save_as and put them into your game, you'll find no canvas. Every image used by Humbird uses a canvas 300 pixels high by 360 wide.

back.png
back.png (36.28 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
front.png
front.png (29.56 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
horny.png
horny.png (26.49 KiB) Viewed 5934 times
ValturNaa

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects