S.L.U.T. In My Head (Hiatus as of: 03/25/13)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

S.L.U.T. In My Head (Hiatus as of: 03/25/13)

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:23 am

So I found this blog just surfing around the internet and found a text game called S.L.U.T. In My Head, and the author is totally okay with someone making a flash or other program game out of it, and I want to give it a shot. Unfortunately I have a very small amount of flash experience from years ago, so I need some help. What's a good program that some of you guys use that's somewhat easy to use/learn? (I won't use RPG maker, it doesn't fit the system the creator made for the game already/I can't imagine this being a RPG type of game.) I'll also be posting this over in the flash games forum just in case I decide to go that way. Thanks for any help you guys can give me!
Last edited by Kantirocks on Wed Apr 03, 2013 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kantirocks

Re: S.L.U.T. In My Head (aka teach me how to code you perver

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:41 am

i use java but that not a program but a language .
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:49 am

Java might work, I'm thinking a text based game with drop down menus and that kind of stuff for the options, and a window for visuals. You know the girl/boy in different states as the game progresses, which might just be the hardest part since I'm not all that great at drawing.
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:59 am

... I think i've got code you could use, you'd have to modify it for your own use.

Give me a rough sketch of the GUI your thinking of using something like paint. Just need basic shape, no details.

Also a link to the orginal blog would be nice.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:29 am

here pulled together a quick thing up for you in gimp (I don't use it to draw, just some color stuff) Sorry if it's more complicated then you asked, the colored block is a character sheet made for the original game. the blog is here: http://slutinmyhead.blogspot.com/

(Legends for pics:
Green and grayish green: scroll down and drop down buttons
Red: text area
White: drop down box area for decisions of the day
Blue: rough area for drop down boxes.)
Attachments
example.PNG
excuse my horrible drawing
notes.png
Kantirocks

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:34 am

there is also a game going on here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):
if you want to check it out, it's going pretty good so far.
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:28 am

I'm quickly making a skeleton of the GUI as a base.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:31 am

Sweet, I'm trying to start talking with the original dev but he/she's a grad student so we'll see how that goes -_-
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:55 am

I know this isn't anything nice to look but here's a basic skeleton
SIMH.PNG
SIMH.PNG (20.12 KiB) Viewed 21986 times

I'll likely have to do my fiddling when it comes to adding components. BoarderLayout has always been a pain when it becomes managing panels.

Have to figure out how to manage them to get the desired results.
Last edited by BlueLight on Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:01 am

That's great actually. at least for now. Could you post the file on here or would you need to send it to me outside of LOK?
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:43 am

Here you go.
SIMH.zip
(3.77 KiB) Downloaded 172 times

Not much to write home about, hell the way i was able to make the panels the size they are, is a hack of sorts. This is just a base of a visual display.
Anyways i assume the left panel will always have a picture on it? I'll look into what is needed for that.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:57 am

That sounds about right. And from what I've seen, what you can do each day is as open as can be, so maybe we could try to figure out a way to make the decisions panel some what responsive. Like if they choose to spend a power, the panel will change to a list of possible things to do with that power (There's a small list of 1-6 so that won't be to bad) and then another panel change for a list of options for that and so on (It'd only have to be about three deep including the main panel, and we'd have to let them do a urge and a power use in the same day if they want to. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:03 am

So the problem is getting the with the decisions panel is not the logic but getting a components that would do what you want.
If any of the links here have what your looking for, then shout out. I'll look later for something that looks like what your describing. I just don't think the normal API has the component your asking for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=java+sw ... e&ie=UTF-8

SIMH2.PNG
SIMH2.PNG (17.87 KiB) Viewed 21973 times

I was able to do a bit of modification to make the size more control able. The northern panels will now all be the same size no matter what (Okay i guess not if there is a number of pixel on devidable by 3)
Last edited by BlueLight on Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:08 am

I'll look into it, thanks for helping anyways!
Kantirocks

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:24 am

BlueLight Wrote:So the problem is getting the with the decisions panel is not the logic but getting a components that would do what you want.
If any of the links here have what your looking for, then shout out. I'll look later for something that looks like what your describing. I just don't think the normal API has the component your asking for.
https://www.google.com/search?q=java+sw ... e&ie=UTF-8

SIMH2.PNG

I was able to do a bit of modification to make the size more control able. The northern panels will now all be the same size no matter what (Okay i guess not if there is a number of pixel on devidable by 3)

any way to make the Event box bigger? And I just though of something easier then what I was saying. It would be easier if when you clicked one of the decision buttons, it just moved to a new frame (all of it, picture info everything replaced by the second decision panel and after the last panel it'll just go back to the original panel with the picture and a little box on the side with what you chose to do in it, I'll make a rough sketch real quick on Gimp again.
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:30 am

Yes and no. Basically i'm using a layout manager to simplify how the layouts are done. The problem with that is they control how everything sizes up. So i can't force it to be 100 by 100 pixel sadly. However, i can use gimmick to for the layout manager to give the components more room by adding buttons or anything that will take room.

So i'm thinking of how to do the center panel, and i'm thinking of doing HTML as silly as it sounds. I should be able to put a component in that takes reads HTML code. I barely remember how to code in HTML, much less know if it's possible to add checkboxes.
I'm thinking for the check boxes, we can always add a panel below the HTML panel that has both sets of check boxes followed by another HTML panel.

Now i personally haven't coded in HTML in quite some time, so if there is another forum you visit for this type of stuff, can you get them to write the HTML?

I'll look around for a open source HTML panel later.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:38 am

BlueLight Wrote:Yes and no. Basically i'm using a layout manager to simplify how the layouts are done. The problem with that is they control how everything sizes up. So i can't force it to be 100 by 100 pixel sadly. However, i can use gimmick to for the layout manager to give the components more room by adding buttons or anything that will take room.

So i'm thinking of how to do the center panel, and i'm thinking of doing HTML as silly as it sounds. I should be able to put a component in that takes reads HTML code. I barely remember how to code in HTML, much less know if it's possible to add checkboxes.
I'm thinking for the check boxes, we can always add a panel below the HTML panel that has both sets of check boxes followed by another HTML panel.

Now i personally haven't coded in HTML in quite some time, so if there is another forum you visit for this type of stuff, can you get them to write the HTML?

I'll look around for a open source HTML panel later.

No I don't really know anyone who can HTML, and I only had a class in high school ages ago and we did very little in the way of coding as it was. Here is the new example I made before reading that:

example2.png
Kantirocks

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:39 am

And as for how the original dev did the stat based decision making, it was mostly done with a six sided die (Or a D6 as i'll call it from now on) that shouldn't be to hard to do right?
Kantirocks

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:46 am

6 side dice.
Code: Select All Code
Random r = new Random();
int randomResult = r.nextint(6) +1; // r.nextint(6) will return a value equal to or between 0 and five.

The random class isn't super random, so i think i might make my own version of it, but that would a library class i'd make for use here and other games.

Anyways check to see if anything here is what you were thinking of for the Decision panel.
http://swingx.java.net/

I might be able to do some modification of CollapsiblePaneDemo to make it work but i'm unskilled with this type of modification so i don't know.
Task panel looks better.
BlueLight

Postby Kantirocks » Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:58 am

BlueLight Wrote:6 side dice.
Code: Select All Code
Random r = new Random();
int randomResult = r.nextint(6) +1; // r.nextint(6) will return a value equal to or between 0 and five.

The random class isn't super random, so i think i might make my own version of it, but that would a library class i'd make for use here and other games.

What ever you end up doing for the D6, We'll just have to set up a formula code for urges and the victim resisting and what not (the formula is in the Urges descriptor in the rules section of the blog. and I'll take a look real quick.
Kantirocks

Next

Return to Creative Corner