[HTML5]LEWD (Alpha1 release up!)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[HTML5]LEWD (Alpha1 release up!)

Postby Sadako » Tue May 28, 2013 7:09 pm

Legend of Eros: Worlds Defiled
LEWD is an erotic text adventure game, currently in development.
The goal of the game is to create a persistent living world that’s constantly changing by your actions.
Even when you log off from it, the world will continue to change, leading to new an unexpected experiences when you return.

You play your own character. Whether that’s breeding aliens, spreading around nasty things, rising up the ranks of “space academy”, buying up all the panties repeatedly and then burning them so no one can afford panties, or just trying to fuck or not fuck every single thing – you make your own story.

With enough support, there will be millions of words of content, as well as an immeasurable amount of procedurally created content. The engine is already in place to make this happen. LEWD is similar to MUDs (multi-user-dungeons) and other online text adventure games of the past. What I've mainly set out to do with it is to make a new engine that is far easier to make content for, with a powerful and flexible development tool, and to make the game itself very accessible.

I originally started LEWD with a prototype I made in about 3 weeks in May 2013.
Then I spent a few more weeks with it to both gauge interest and to figure out all the sort of features I'd need from an engine, and how best to set up the workflow for tools to make content for the game.
That's why you see a long gap of nothing happening. I didn't have the support to work full time on it at the time, and had a bunch of work to get done elsewhere, and was still figuring out where to go with it.

It was about a year later before I started working on my new engine, which took a long time. I've just recently got all the content then working on my new engine, worked on finding new writers, and...
Alpha 1 is now released!
This is the first release with the game running on my new engine, along with some more polish, features, and about twice as much content as the old prototype.

Some of the additions and changes since the old prototype are:

• Almost 100% more content
  • Redone and improved ways that content is parts and descriptions are generated for your character
  • Improvements to the character generation and how you can personalize descriptions (It's a huge disorganized mess of listing out like 100 body parts, I know. That's just alpha things)
  • Client modding API for character descs
  • Feedback system for supporters to leave their feedback on scenarios
  • First of its kind(I think) Patreon rewards system. Patreon has no API for this, so I made a bot to handle it.
  • Updated rendering
  • Updated, more flexible, quests system
  • Efficiency improvements and slightly prettied up interface
  • Changes to the networking to use interpolation in many places so it feels more responsive
  • More improvements to polish, down to how sliders for stats work, selecting traits works, updating stats outside of chargen, it not waiting until the end to tell you if name is empty, and all sorts of little things like that
  • Lots of little bug and annoyance fixes, such as how the scenario box would move around when pressing tab (which should only happen when there is a chat window below it to scale against). Hopefully fixed that bug with getting "stuck" and unable to move
  • More settings, including the ability to disable NPC images for a more text-only experience
  • Progress/character saving
  • All new tutorial, which is more of a walkthrough and should be far clearer.
  • An introductory preword about the world
  • Updates to the site itself
  • This is still just the first alpha release, and just the start. There's lots more to come

How to play; there are two ways to currently get early access:
1. Either get a hold of a key from a supporter who has gotten some, or by being one of the older registered accounts on the LEWD website that'll be emailed keys fairly soon (probably for Alpha 2 release).
This gives you access to the main server(http://www.playlewd.com/main) that is typically a bit behind the test server, but unlike the test server doesn't go down for updates and debugging often.

Keys can be redeemed on your account page, and you can find your keys to share or use there.

2. Support our Patreon for instant access to the test server.
The test

All you need to do is pledge on the Patreon, and then you can link your Patreon account to your LEWD account for instant access.
Then you can play right now on http://www.playlewd.com/test-server/!

Otherwise, you'll just need to be patient and wait for wider access.

LOOKING FOR WRITERS
Generally we're looking for writers whenever there is room in the budget for more.
See: http://www.playlewd.com/blog/?page_id=571 to learn how to submit an application, and if you have the talent when a position is open I'll let you know.

BLOG | FORUMS | PATREON | IRC (#lewdgame @ irc.rizon.net)
Last edited by Sadako on Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:14 pm, edited 17 times in total.
Sadako

Re: LEWD, an erotic text adventure game

Postby Nobudi » Tue May 28, 2013 9:42 pm

Wow, the beginning was very well made, and I especially liked to interactive background, well done.
Have you seen Fenoxo's 'Corruption of Champions'? It's a very polished text game, and I also hope you can get to his level of gameplay. :D
Nobudi

Postby DraconisOminous » Tue May 28, 2013 11:05 pm

If I recall right, the first place I saw this was Fenoxo's forum, so I'm assuming this is spreading the wings of his news (Sadako was the username for the person who made the LEWD topic in Fenoxo's forum as well), so to speak.
DraconisOminous

Postby Sadako » Wed May 29, 2013 1:20 am

Yeah I have played CoC ever since the first dungeon area was just a placeholder.

I don't think CoC is more polished though?~ But CoC does have far far more content, obviously.
Last edited by Sadako on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sadako

Postby AllenAndArth » Wed May 29, 2013 2:30 am

I play Coc and it's still expanding, especially because it's not even finished yet
AllenAndArth

Postby Sadako » Wed May 29, 2013 6:08 am

LEWD would have even more room for expanding, given the whole MMO sandbox nature.
It's much easier to tell where you are with the map, to prevent getting lost/disoriented in flipping through just a bunch of area tabs. Plus the tiles showing where you are instead of "move north".

There's no reason why I couldn't pack a whole sci-fi erotica anthology into it, millions of words, with just how the engine is set up now.
Sadako

Postby Zeus Kabob » Wed May 29, 2013 6:14 am

Yes. CoC is more polished than your game is currently; everything in it fits, the main story is complete to a point, and character development is consistent and measured. Your game has more room for improvement, and it has a quite unique style. Between the two of them, they're entirely different games.

The possibility of multiplayer is powerful, as it could drive a lot of content in the game.
Zeus Kabob

Postby Sadako » Wed May 29, 2013 10:05 am

More polished? But it doesn't have rebindable hotkeys, it's easy to accidental mis-hotkey a choice, and writing disappears after you choose and option, and so on.
This engine is more polished.

Story and all? You're absolutely right. The starting area content is just things I threw in there to test the writing parser. 2/3rds of it was just written by friends. You'll see things coming together more in the "Wilderness Research Station", but it needs more content. They are different games. There's room for them to coexist.
I'm still not really sure how I should redo the starting area. I keep thinking of other areas I want to add, like one that tells an I Love Bees sort of story.
I really want to avoid the "you're a star ship captain that crash landed" sort of beginnings, or anything that plays you off as a hero. I want to craft a big world that you're just somebody in it. I really liked that feeling in Starwars Galaxies(before it was ruined).

I fixed some issues with some of the old scenes not being compatible with some new writing parser features. For example, as female-sexed when given the alien symbiote by Kaeleigh, there should have been a sex scene which wasn't showing.
I also added a "solo" mode that essentially makes it like playing single player. Lastly, I fixed a few grammar mistakes.
Sadako

Postby BlueLight » Thu May 30, 2013 4:52 am

In forms of "polish" and "jucie" fenoxo game has little to none.
This game has a lot of polish for the state it's in.

BUG's
I'm using Firefox, and when i type, a bar at the lower part of the screen pops up saying "Quick find".
This is a problem with fire fox, not your game however, your game is in the cross fire.

My best guess how to fix this, is to put a text field into your game that isn't visible, and when your game is focused on, you write to that, so you can trick firefox into not popping up with quick find.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Sadako » Thu May 30, 2013 5:19 am

How do you actually set that up in Firefox so I can test it out?
When I google "firefox quickfind", plugins that are different from that come up.
Sadako

Postby BlueLight » Thu May 30, 2013 7:30 am

Sadako Wrote:How do you actually set that up in Firefox so I can test it out?
When I google "firefox quickfind", plugins that are different from that come up.

Should be native to fire fox. I don't remember installing a plug in for it and it's not something i'd look for.
EDIT
Ya, i checked my plug ins and i have no plug ins that state that it's a quickfind plug in.
If i thought it was some third party software, i would have disabled it.
BlueLight

Postby Sadako » Thu May 30, 2013 8:23 am

I did a lot of testing on Firefox, and also asked some friends, and that never comes up for them.
If I'm not mistake, you have to hit a key like , or \, or something like that, to quick search by default. I haven't actually been able to figure it out myself to reproduce that problem.

I figure about 65% will use chrome and 33% Firefox, so I try to make sure those work well~
Sadako

Postby DraconisOminous » Thu May 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I currently use Firefox, and no difficulty comes from Quickfind. I'm pretty sure it is either a plug-in, or viral of some sort. Or one of those viral plug-ins.

Or you've changed your settings for Quickfind somehow, if it is what I think it is. You may want to screenshot that bug.
Last edited by DraconisOminous on Thu May 30, 2013 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DraconisOminous

Postby Furman12 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:53 pm

AllenAndArth Wrote:I play Coc and it's still expanding, especially because it's not even finished yet

so do I and lets not forget the new game Fenoxo is makeing its called Trials In Tainted Space AKA T.I.T.S :D
Keep the blue fox alive in are hearts never let her be forgot
Furman12

Postby Sadako » Fri May 31, 2013 2:20 am

There's room for both games to coincide. :>

I fixed the zone/area camera on lower resolution screens. It should be fine now.
Of course, later, I'd like to add another camera to have it stay centered on you and just move the world under you. But options like that are going to need to wait for beta, and for me to redo the UI.
I can't even see how to enable quickfind to work with no hotkey. When I try to search for it, all sorts of other things come up instead.
Sadako

Postby BlueLight » Fri May 31, 2013 6:37 am

Okay, go into tools -> options -> advanced. One of the options is "search for text when i start typing." if checked, it will use quick find.
BlueLight

Postby Sadako » Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 am

I see it now. Thanks.

I can't fix it now, as I'm working on customizing a forum a bit to my liking, and trying to get a last push for support on kickstarter.
I've written it down, though, but i'll look into it if I have another go at this~
Sadako

Postby BlueLight » Fri May 31, 2013 3:39 pm

Since i was able to find the option on Fire fox (I didn't even know it existed until playing your game.) i turn it off.
Thanks for taking to figure this out even though it wasn't a bug.
BlueLight

Postby yuoichi » Fri May 31, 2013 4:31 pm

ok, so i have tried in 3 different browsers (firefox, IE, and chrome) and it wont let me go past the creation screen. i hit 'play' and nothing. i even check the box 'play solo' and nothing. what do?
yuoichi
Newly Registered

Postby Sadako » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:54 am

yuoichi Wrote:ok, so i have tried in 3 different browsers (firefox, IE, and chrome) and it wont let me go past the creation screen. i hit 'play' and nothing. i even check the box 'play solo' and nothing. what do?

There's a small amount of people, 0.5% of so, who just can't connect to the game server due to their ISP or some faulty internet "security" program on their computer. Even when you play solo, the game still runs on the server and delivers content by it, so it has to be able to connect.

Short term, there is nothing I can do about it. In the future, I will try to look into it more, but it's a pretty big undertaking for a small amount of people. I have to figure out why those programs and ISPs falsely block it, and figure out ways to trick them which tends to be very hard.
It basically comes down to those ISPs/software following a web spec that's more than 10 years old, while what I'm doing is compliant to modern specifications.
Sadako

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects