[VX ACE] Conquest (complete game, but no cg yet)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: [VX ACE] Conquest (complete game, but no cg yet)

Postby Ayeka » Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks a lot, I try it. Another thing, i tried attack a city, one of my orcs died. I wanted leave nnd go back to my castle to heal him, but again, i can't :( It is impossible to stop attack?
Ayeka

Postby mrttao » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:55 pm

Ayeka Wrote:Thanks a lot, I try it. Another thing, i tried attack a city, one of my orcs died. I wanted leave nnd go back to my castle to heal him, but again, i can't :( It is impossible to stop attack?

depends on where, but in this particular case you must see it to the end or reload an older save.
mrttao

Postby Ayeka » Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:49 pm

Yes, I managet do it.
Ok, Now I try find elves and go in circle. Red flowers mark road, but last one is in middle of map no matter what road I chooose on fork I go back to start point. :evil:

I sped quite some time reading this thread to find solution. And I must complain, idea about going back never come to my mind. and putting Ancient Horror (unbeateble monster) in NARROW path is very bad idea. Give please some space to outrun it or few ways to avoid enounter.

Putting aside lack of hentai pictures, tower with demon is unfinished. I beat invisible labirynth and destroyed 3 crystals. and get info when try go up about this is still not dona :o

Other thing to complain is boss girl-swordmaster. I spend half hour beating her only because all time all my team have blinded eyes and can't hit her. PLEASE CHANGE IT. It is boring as hell.
Ayeka

Postby Lucky777 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:15 am

Spoiler (click to show/hide):

For the bunny, you're supposed to go south a screen, and "activate" a part of the forest which is perfectly solid if you WALK into it, and has no telltale sparkles or anything.
But once you click there (southwest on the screen) you realise that part was actually an illusion all along, even though it was perfectly solid when you walked into it.
Up THAT path, you find a mirror and break it.

That's how you deal with the bunny rabbit.

In defence of the game's use of the Rabbit, your imp DOES tell you to run away from it.
Lucky777

Postby Ayeka » Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:29 pm

Thanks. But again, as with red flower path, not putting ANY tips how to do it is wrong. Imp should suggest something about he feel elves magic and advice trying find a path.
Ayeka

Postby Eledao » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:39 am

I'm worried it's been four months since the last news, and i'm not only worried about the game, is STR alright? I really like the game, just finished my third playthrough. Does anyone know what happened whit this project? I can't seem to find any news
Eledao
Newly Registered

Postby Commodus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:13 pm

I just registered here, and, if STR is still around, I would like to offer my help, although, after reading this you may not want it. The first thing I'd like to offer is my services as a proof reader. There are a ton of errors in the game, virtually every box contains at least one. I don't mean this to seem like an insult, because I am impressed. I realize English isn't your native language, and there were only three instances where I had no idea what you were trying to say. Those would be the "misericoridous Goddess," when Alexia says, "I was born with those hairs" and when she says, "with a hard S, huh." I am certain that if I attempted anything in a language other than English, it wouldn't be nearly as lucid. It does pose a significant problem for proof reading, though. It really isn't practical to take notes and post them, since the errors are so extensive. If you wanted to send me a text dump from the game, though, I could probably have it edited and returned within a week.

The second thing is the map. I could probably make a medieval-style map for you. There are many different styles, though, so if you have something specific in mind, it might be wise to send me an image.

Thirdly, I have a 3D-rendering program and a fairly substantial library for it. I've played around with it for about a year, but I haven't actually done much rendering. I'm willing to take a crack at rendering the HCG's, but I really should be a last resort for a few reasons. Firstly, I have a busy schedule with work and my various hobbies. Best case, it will take a year minimum for me to render all the HCG's necessary. Secondly, I may not be any good. Thirdly, with my various interests, it is entirely possible I will lose interest and vanish at some point. Thirdly, while I just registered here, I've lurked here and on other forums. The impression I get is, with these type of games, drawn images seem to be preferred over renders by many fans. Fourthly, I am pretty soft hearted. While I like the harem theme, and I not a huge fan of rape and whatnot. I'm not judging those that have those fantasies, but they make me uncomfortable. While I'm willing to give it a shot, if it got too graphic, it would increase the likelihood of my losing interest and vanishing. I'm not trying to influence your vision of the game; I'm just trying to be upfront about it.

Finally, you asked for suggestions for balancing the game, so here are a few. I've completed the game three times and am currently working on my fourth playthrough. I've completed the mistress route twice and the orc route once, and I am currently working on the overlord route. If you want the overlord to be the main damage dealer on that route, he needs skills and abilities that make him so. He doesn't learn any purely offensive abilities until Lightning Strike. Also, he misses his attack over half the time. I know nothing about the mechanics in the game, but something that would boost his to-hit percentage is needed. While not as vital, something that would boost his initiative would be nice. It's annoying to select Keep Fighting only to have it's target be KO'd before it fires. Since the orcs are so weak, they can't take much punishment, but the overlord needs to keep them in the fight, because he isn't strong enough to have multiple enemies focusing solely on him.

As I said, I'm most likely a last resort as far as HCGs go. If you do want to give me a shot, give me a slight description of what you want the mistresses to look like. You can give me things like apparent age (late teens, late twenties, early thirties, whatever) height, eye and hair color, complexion, measurements, etc. It might help I you name a celebrity like them. Now, I'm certainly not good enough to make a character that looks like someone else, and I wouldn't anyway, because using someone else's likeness is another thing that would make me uncomfortable, but it would illustrate many of the above qualities. If you do name a person, make sure it is someone with many images on Google or something, since I'll probably have to look them up. I can do a quick render of them, and you can decide if you like it enough to put me to work.

I apologize for the long post. This is something that would have probably been better as a PM, but, since this is my first post, it won't let me yet. Anyway, thanks for the enjoyable game. I think it is one of the best I've played. It got me to stop lurking and offer my assistance, which is saying quite a bit.
Commodus

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:42 pm

I've a background in French and Spanish, so I think Misericordious was probably "merciful".

http://www.wordreference.com/fren/mis%C3%A9ricordieux

Pretty baller first post.
And best of luck with the proofreading if you end up doing any.
It's pretty obvious that you've got the capacity, and there's probably much more of a chance of you doing it than of me getting off my lazy ass and doing it any time soon.
Lucky777

Postby Commodus » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:56 am

Merciful was my third guess. The first thing that popped into my mind was miserable, which didn't work at all. The second was mysterious, which was possible but didn't really fit. I then guessed merciful, but the problem was that I was guessing words that started with m; I didn't actually know.

Anyway, thanks for the vote of confidence. I think I'll go ahead and render an image of Bluk, Gluk, Dluk and the eight mistresses based on their sprites/battlers. I've never done anything other than people or animals before, so doing a goblin, a dwarf, an elf and three orcs should be an interesting challenge. I don't know how long it will take. I'll probably either have to purchase assets or create them in Blender. On the bright side, once they're bought/created, it's fairly quick to reuse them. At the very least, it will give STR an idea of how my artwork will look, other than "it probably sucks."
Commodus

Postby Commodus » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:43 am

Okay, I finished the overlord route. For the record, I gave all of the minor slaves to the orcs. I have one possible bug to report and some feedback. First, a disclaimer: the statements I'm about to make are subjective, based on my experience and my style of play, and the suggests I am about to make are exactly that, suggestions to be considered individual or as a whole.

The bug occurred on the overlord route. After raping Erika, I spared the captain. When I returned to the castle, I got the usual scene of the captain refusing to serve me and being returned to his cell. That is the last I saw of him. That isn't the bug, but much like with the orc route, that felt unresolved. If nothing more is going to be done with him, it might be better to not give the player the choice to spare him and just automatically execute him. The bug involved Erika. When I select her cell, it shows the overlord's picture with his ubiquitous ellipsis, then he steps away from the cell, and that is it. There seems no way to see her second scene or review the scenes, like with the other slaves. Now, I refer to this as a potential bug, because it is possible I need to do something first, but I looked all over the place and couldn't find the captain or any other way to advance that plot. I even tried reading the books in St. Astha, but it didn't help.

Now for the comments. I mentioned in my last post that the overlord misses way too often. Using a dwarven hammer during the assault on St. Astha, I experienced five straight encounters where the overlord failed to land a single blow. Since then, I read this thread in its entirety, and I saw STR's post on page five concerning the to-hit percentage of the different weapons; I'm assuming clubs and maces have the same modifiers as those listed for hammers. Once I equipped the overlord with a sword and Gluk with an axe, the battles were much easier, although they still often missed. I would suggest that information be presented in the game in some fashion, because not everyone who plays it will come here and read through the entire thread. As I mentioned, I completed the overlord route, giving the minor slaves to the orcs, so that they were of some help. During the St. Astha sequence, I used nineteen first aid kits, eleven stimulants, eight full potions and seven salvations, mostly in the two fights against Erika and the one against the captain. During the fights against Zorya, and used nineteen first aid kits, seventeen stimulants, eight full potions, four great cures and nine salvations, almost entirely during the second phase of the battle. During that fight, there was, at one point, a four-turn period where my entire party was unbalanced and unable to act. That being said, while difficult, the overlord path, as I played it, is eminently doable. It is intended as hard mode, and it succeeds. There is an abundance of gold to upgrade equipment and to purchase potions. That is one of the things I like about this game: not needing to grind. The only time there is a dearth of gold is during the mistress route and only at the end, if you are trying to outfit all your mistresses with equipment from St. Astha.

On the other hand, I think the route failed in its stated goal. STR commented that the overlord route is supposed to have the overlord be the main damage dealer, and that ending comments on how the overlord almost single-handedly conquered the continent. That was not my experience. While the route was doable giving the minor slaves to the orcs, I imagine it would be virtually impossible if the overlord kept everyone for himself, which, thematically, seems more appropriate. I would almost describe the route as orc lite, since I had the most success using the overlord to buff the orcs, just like in the orc route. I think on problem is that the overlord ends up with too many skills, many of them useless. Given the brief duration of them, the player ends up just cycling through a few. For example, during the fight against the bored duelist, the overlord followed the pattern of Distract Them!, Steel your Mind!, Strategic Positioning, Strategic Positioning, repeat. Skills I never used were Kill Them! and Forward! Follow Me! One of the most interesting things I’ve noticed about this game is the importance of defense. In most RPG maker games, upping attack power seems to be the best tactic, since you can often kill your opponents in a turn or two. Here, with the lack of saves and the copious health of the bosses, that approach doesn’t work. I would argue augmenting defense is the wiser move. With Kill Them, defense is lowered so much, the character is doing to die in a round or two against an opponent with multiple-target attacks. For that reason, I only use Labryl until I’ve gotten the fourth mistress on that route. On the overlord route, I never use the ability. At forty-five TPs, Forward! Follow Me! is also worthless. One is the cost. The overlord never has that many TPs to spare. Second, it doesn’t really gain you anything. If a player does the all slaves to the overlord route, the orcs will be worthless. Having the overlord use an action one round to gain two the next just means he breaks even, only he now has forty-five fewer TPs.

Here are some suggestions that might help. Instead of learning Kill Them! from Labryl, give the overlord an attack or to-hit bonus. Instead of getting Forward! Follow Me from Alexia give him a different skill. Perhaps one where overlord receives some of the TPs the orcs generate. Perhaps he can receive a skill that, once activated, lasts the entire fight and doubles the duration of other skills. Either of these would allow the player to make more use of the skills they have instead of just cycling through the same ones. STR suggested getting a skill from Cemiel that gives the overlord an attack boost but causes degradation. Given the importance of defense in this game, I am inclined to believe that would just result in the overlord dying very quickly. Another possibility is a good weapon, such as Alexia’s broken sword, sort of a mid-game Rough Edge, to encourage the overlord to hack away. These are merely suggestions. While they aren’t necessary for the minor slaves to the orcs route, they very well may be for the all slaves to the overlord route.

The toughest fight on every route was the fight against Zorya, but especially on the overlord route. As I mentioned, she always acted first, and there were multiple times my entire party was stun locked for multiple turns. Starless Night always caused at least two, usually three or four of the party members to lose their balance. Even if they got it back at the end of the turn, it still interrupted whatever action they were attempting. Usually, I only had one party member able to act any given turn. Unfortunately, I didn’t know which party member that would be at the start of the turn. It made issuing orders difficult. Do I order everyone to use Greatest Cure, hoping one would get it off? What if two manage to avoid being unbalanced? Will I waste a potion? Since I actually have few actions available, I had to maximize them, so I almost never used Greatest Cure. As a result, virtually my entire party spent the entire fight blind. So, how did I win? Lightning Thrusts is not affected by blindness. Actually, that fight is probably the first time in the game that the overlord was the main damage dealer. Now, as a physical attack, Lightning Thrusts probably should be subject to a blindness penalty, but that fight might very well be impossible if that change was made.

As I mentioned before, these are only comments and suggestions. I’m essentially acting as a beta tester, and this is my feedback. STR can make any tweaks he feels necessary based on it, or he may ignore it completely.

On a final note, I think the final fight should be kept at its current difficulty, which is easier than the penultimate fight. For one thing, this is an H game. The primary focus is on the girls. That makes the Zorya fight the climax and everything that follows the resolution. It was cathartic to have a final, relatively relaxing fight against the king. It felt like a reward for my hard work. Rough Edge is badass. Zorya is badass. The player gets them at the very end of the game, and it was nice to be able to just have fun using them in the final battle.

That was way too long. Anyway, time to get back to building and rendering a scene.
Commodus

Postby mrttao » Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:29 pm

I would like to suggest lengthening the name.
"Conquest" is an unsearchable name. If I tell people about this game I absolutely HAVE to provide a link or they won't find it themselves.
If it was called "Something - Conquest" or "Conquest of Something" or some such it would be easier to search as long as the something is a unique word (remember, "words" under three letters like "of" are unsearchable as well).
mrttao

Postby STR » Tue May 20, 2014 1:56 pm

Fair people of the internet, I’m back!

You probably wonder why I disappeared, and you’ll keep wondering because my life is, by definition, my own concern (see? see? THAT’s why I don’t want to take your money. :? ) Still, I am sorry about it. Sorry.

Back to business: I bring with me a new version of the game as an offering. As usual, you’ll find it in the beginning of the thread, and your old saves will probably do strange stuff if you try using them with it. So don't. Really.

Features a complete demon tower, some bug and text fixes, some balance adjustments in the form of new spells and abilities (as well as one additional, optional party member in some of the routes), a couple of sidequests (the meaty style with their own maps and sprites, not the “go there fetch that come back” style) and some character development here and there (stuff will happen and things will be said differently depending on who is with you and what level your orcs are at). On the mistress route, characters not taking part in battle should now gain experience too, as an incentive for the player to change his battle formation depending on the situation. Saint Astha is now full of NPCs and may have a secret or two waiting to be found. Added a couple of new books here and there. You can now arrange your inventory by alphabetical or numerical order while inside the menu (press “A”). Oh, and the credits have been updated (if you think you should be in there but are not, scream at my face). I also added a simple new game + system that can make subsequent playthroughs a lot easier (if you wish so) as well as a cg room to go with it (to review pictures unlocked in previous playthroughs). And no, sorry, not a single ounce of porn is in yet! (more on that below).

Please note that the new game + system hasn’t been tested yet. Meaning that I’ll take no responsibility if it make your computer explode, but all the credit if it actually work as intended. Also, I didn’t have quite enough time to playtest the Demon Tower, so while there shouldn’t be any bugs left inside, the balance is probably a bit off. Please tell me if it’s too hard/too easy (keep in mind this is supposed to be the game’s final challenge).

So, what now?

Well, the game proper is in a relatively finished state I think. Of course, I’ll keep on squashing bugs and spelling errors as you point them to me, and maybe add a few lines of dialogues here and there or a sidequest or two, sprite a few characters to add some variety to the game’s NPCs, but... Yeah. No heavy lifting left.

Which leaves me with the issue of, you know... the porn.

I could fall back on the sex sprites option anytime: I’ve become quite good at that whole recoloring and frankening stuff (as a certain sidequest should make obvious), so the option is there. But I don’t like it much, as the number of possible poses and the maximum sexiness level of the method are very... limited.

So I’ve been learning to draw for a few weeks now. Good old paper and pencil. The results are way too horrible for me to dare and show them to you for now, but I can feel some very slow, very little progress as time passes. So, well... If I don’t get discouraged somewhere on the way, I’ll come back in a few months/years/decades with the skills needed to draw my game’s art myself.

Also, I don't know for how long my personal life will allow me to stay around before disappearing again. Could be weeks, could be years... So don't panic if you see me vanish again someday: no matter how things turn out on my side of the screen, I intend on finishing that game. Sooner or later, it will happen.

And, yes, I read all the old messages since my last intervention. And I'll try to answer them later.
STR

Postby Lucky777 » Tue May 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Holy shit you're not dead.

Awesome.

Dunno when I'll have time to grind through the game again, but I will, and I want to, because I'm interested in seeing the St Astha (and ESPECIALLY Castle-town) NPCs.
Lucky777

Postby STR » Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 am

Okay, as promised, necromantic answer time!

Ayeka:

“Putting aside lack of hentai pictures, tower with demon is unfinished. I beat invisible labirynth and destroyed 3 crystals. and get info when try go up about this is still not dona.”

As advertised at the time, I believe. Now complete in the new version.

“Other thing to complain is boss girl-swordmaster. I spend half hour beating her only because all time all my team have blinded eyes and can't hit her. PLEASE CHANGE IT. It is boring as hell. ”

Or remember her pattern, and use items and/or skills to counter it?

“Thanks. But again, as with red flower path, not putting ANY tips how to do it is wrong. Imp should suggest something about he feel elves magic and advice trying find a path. ”

You were warned about the labyrinth, and suggested to use “observation skills” to solve it the moment you entered the forest. About the secret path though, you are absolutely right, and I did add a tip in the latest version.

Commodus:

Well, let’s hope you still hover around here from times to time, because after all these months, you’ll finally get an answer. Once again, I’m very sorry about that.

About the proofreading:
Well, problem is, I don’t think I have one. A file with all the texts of the game inside, I mean. (Well, unless VX Ace already has a built-in way of coughing that kind of things up without me knowing about it, which isn’t entirely impossible. Will check just in case). If you are very serious about it though, what I COULD probably do is send you a hacked version of the game with all enemies at 1HP or something, so you can breeze through the gameplay and concentrate on proofreading. But I wouldn’t like much doing that kind of stuff, so if you or anybody else does volunteer and ask for such a version of the game, they better deliver afterwards.

About the map:
I’d be very glad if you could make one. As for the style, I’m really just looking for one of these black and white maps you’ll find at the beginning of every fantasy book ever, maybe with a parchment background.

About the renders:
If you do end up making one as a showcase, I’ll sure as hell take a good look at it, and if I like what I see and you do still want to work on the whole CG, we’ll probably get ourselves a partnership going. "If". As is probably obvious already, these pictures are really the one thing keeping the game from being complete, so I’ll look very closely into any proposition I get about them.

About the bug you found:
Keen eyed, are you? There was indeed a self-switch mistake there. I corrected it in the latest build, and got your name in the credits.

About your report on the overlord route:
Read it some time ago, read it again recently. A number of good points. Your comments are one of the reason the skill you obtain from Labryl changed in the latest version, and I’ll keep the rest in mind while tweaking things further. And as much as I’d like to pretend it was, the last fight being easier than the penultimate one wasn’t an intended feature.

DarkTemplarSeer:

“As for the picture situation option one may be the best course of action provided that the game has a large enough fan base to provide donations and if you can find some one to do the scenes. In my experience sometimes offering some type of incentive would help get people to do a donation for example if someone donates a certain amount of money you could give a nod to them in the final game or include a character they made themselves in the final game as a npc or something. Mind thats just my two cents on the idea.”

Well, in the end, I decided not to involve money. I treat the game as a pass-time, not a job, and can’t guarantee sustained work on it or set deadlines, so that just wouldn’t feel right by me. Then again, maybe I’m just being irrationally prude.

DemonAtShort:

“Enjoyed the game and wanted to PM and ask about helping with some stuff, but as I was not a member before seeing your game and don't really come here for anything else, can't. Any other way I can get in private contact with you?”

Dunno if you’ll see that, considering how late I am in responding, but I sent you a mail contact by PM. (New members CAN receive PMs, right?)

“Also if nobody's reported it and you weren't aware, the skill Lightning Thrusts for Erika, despite the description text, can definitely miss. And the aforementioned Guarded Strike, if attacking first is kept, could probably mention that aspect in the description.”

I think I fixed the Lightning Thrusts issue. Not sure about guarded strike though. Will check.

Eledao:

“I'm worried it's been four months since the last news, and i'm not only worried about the game, is STR alright? I really like the game, just finished my third playthrough. Does anyone know what happened whit this project? I can't seem to find any news.”

Still alive an relatively well. Thank you for worrying though.

mrttao:

“How would flash animation be inserted into the game? I wasn't aware of RMVXA being able to play flash.”

You can convert the .swf to .ogg, which I believe RPGmaker can play. Anyway, no art, no animation, so that’s not really in my list of options anymore.

“I would like to suggest lengthening the name.
"Conquest" is an unsearchable name. If I tell people about this game I absolutely HAVE to provide a link or they won't find it themselves.
If it was called "Something - Conquest" or "Conquest of Something" or some such it would be easier to search as long as the something is a unique word (remember, "words" under three letters like "of" are unsearchable as well).”

Thanks for your concern, but I... really don’t like the idea of changing my game’s name to please a search engine. Couldn’t you simply tell them to type “Conquest RPG Maker”? That would lead them directly here.

Lucky777:

“Oh, and I've been meaning to say for a VERY long time but I kept forgetting: You ought to make the barbarian-quality weapons and shit capable of being sold.
It's mildly amusing to think "Oh, no, Barbarian weapons are crafted so badly that you can't sell them, ho ho," ... but that's wrong.
You can sell Orc-quality weapons and they're worse quality than Barbarian ones, so I assume it's just an oversight.”

Actually, there are no “barbarian-quality” weapons. The Barbarian Sword is a unique weapon, same ans the Hum’ Brylas or Rough Edge, and those can’t be sold by design (because the players would have no way to get them back if they sold one by mistake). So, nothing to do with the lore or an attempt at humour. I suppose I could make exceptions for the weakest of the uniques, but your inventory space isn’t limited and you can now class it alphabetically to find stuff faster so... meh.

“One way to deal with it is to have one of the raped mistresses give you a move that restores more than 10 TP.”

Hum... Battlefield Analysis?
Or was it not in yet in the last version? I could swear it was, but again, I’m definitely prone to mistakes.

About the difficulty in general:
I have yet to do a new overlord play-through with the new skills and the new party member, so I can’t claim it’s been fixed. I’ll have to do it eventually I suppose, but it does get tedious to play the same game you’ve created yourself and know like your own backyard for the eleventh time... Tedious and time consuming. And I’m always short of that, too.

About the routes:
Yeah, I suppose I could have your imp spout something about single-minded overlords in the beginning... We’ll see.

“STR, Is there any way you can avoid having the new skills DISPLACE the old skills in the menu after every conquest skill-gain?”

Yep, done. Well, I hope anyway. Tell me if that doesn’t work.

“I've a background in French and Spanish, so I think Misericordious was probably "merciful".”

Indeed. And it has been corrected in the latest version. (English words, always disappointing me by not existing! :roll: )

Seiser Koze:

“I assume using something like 3D Custom Girl is out.”

I did check quickly on that one long ago, but from what little I’ve seen, it’s rather limited. If you have some experience with it, do you know if I would be able to represent a dwarf or a goblin with it? Not mentioning that I’d also need a rather wide panel of weapons and armours to chose from.
STR

Postby Lucky777 » Thu May 22, 2014 10:43 pm

I definitely don't recall "battlefield analysis" existing, but that doesn't mean it DIDN'T exist.

I DO still have the previous version, so I could mediafire/sendspace it to you and you could check, but I feel like it's probably not important enough to merit the trouble.

Also, I was so accustomed to the more modern system, (which involves shops getting at least 1 of an item if you sold them that item), that I never thought you'd be unable to reacquire your barbarian weapon if you sold it.
Can't say it'd be a tremendous loss, even so, but ... eh. *shrugs.*
It's DEFINITELY fucking good that you can't sell the Rough Edge by mistake, though.
That'd be the worst of the misclicks.

Edit: Oh, it's just a skill you learn by levelling, at around level 7 or so? Then yeah, it DEFINITELY isn't there. I had thought it might have been hidden or something.
Last edited by Lucky777 on Fri May 23, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lucky777

Postby Dead1 » Fri May 23, 2014 7:18 pm

Played the game and really enjoyed it.

I also found a bug on the Mistress path. The Scene with Zorya's brother and the Mistresses. The Scene suddenly Ends and the Screen remains black.
Dead1
Newly Registered

Postby Kuroteru » Sat May 24, 2014 6:51 am

Picked it up for the first time this week and finished it last night. Loved it, and I'll likely be tagging along just to see the end result. Though, like many, my time spent on the forum may be quite random.

The first thing I'd like to offer is my services as a proof reader.

As Commodus pointed out, there are various spelling mistakes made throughout the game. If he doesn't respond, or if he has lost interest, I wouldn't mind acting as a proof reader.

My first playthrough was on the Mistress Route, and I've just begun the Overlord Route. I encountered two separate situations; one that is possibly a bug, and another that is definitely a bug.

The first is during the Floor of the Demon Tower with all of the pots/bags. Clicking on them puts the party through encounters with the Money Bags. The last one contains a Big Brother and drops a Bloodseeker Axe upon defeating it; a special weapon that can be brought along for other playthroughs. Every time I click on the last pot, it begins this combat, allowing for multiple Bloodseeker Axes to be obtained. I do not know if this was intentional, as one of the mistresses can dual-wield axes, but there it is.

The other issue was during the Demon Tower as well, though, towards the end. The chamber that mimics the Overlord's room had every single door available. Now, by this point, I had every single girl... Besides Zorya... Yet, her door was available to open. Being my first playthrough, I didn't actually know about this character. Clicking on the door revealed her, when she takes down the door. :D I was confused at this point. I looked at her equipment and thought this was where she was meant to be found. She was also level 10 for some reason, while all my other party members were in their late 20's. I figured this was due to her being absurdly powerful. Regardless, after finding her there, she joined my party, and I had Zorya before Zorya was made available, and in fact, fought Zorya with Zorya! After I finished talking with Zorya's brother, and she officially joined the party, her level jumped up to 41.

More on the game's final challenge...
I'm not sure at what point you intend the Demon Tower to be finished, but I was able to do so before getting Zorya (in the story), and only after my second attempt. Stocking up on plenty of party healing items was crucial, but with as much Salvation I stockpiled, I felt it made it too easy. I had even gone back and finished the 'final boss' in the Demon Tower before heading off and continuing the story. Party Included: Alexia, Erika, and Zorya. All besides Zorya were around level 28 (Including the Overlord), with Zorya being level 11 or 12. The Overlord acted as a buffer, and would constantly have Alexia defend the group for single target attacks. I was able to pull off a massive combo, with Alexia using her ability to offer twice as many actions, Erika to offer twice as much damage, and Zorya to multiply her effectiveness by 500%. To top it off, the Overlord buffed attack twice at the beginning of the round. It resulted in a massacre for the final boss.
Kuroteru
Newly Registered

Postby STR » Sun May 25, 2014 8:31 am

Dead1
Crap. That's a work in progress I didn't hide properly. The first of those slice-of-life optional scenes I was talking about some while back. I completed it since, and it will be in the next version. Thanks for pointing it out, your name will be in the credits next time I get to update them (either next release or the one after that).

Kuroteru
About the proofreading:
If you want to do some, please do go ahead. Take a scene/part of the game of your choosing and point out all the mistakes you find in it. I'll obviously also take any proofreading of the inventory items or random NPCs lines or any text in the game, really.

So you know, parts that were already proofread by other people are everything from the beginning of the game to Saint Zaulys, the dwarven mine battle, and the Saint Astha battle.

About the bugs:
First is definitely a bug and not an intended feature. Very simple and stupid mistake on my part (I forgot a self-switch at the end of that event, if that makes any sense to you).
Second was also a switch mistake, though with some rather more annoying ramifications.
Both will be fixed in the next version, and your name will be in the credits next time I update them.

About difficulty:

That does seems like a rather deadly combination. ^^' Though Zorya is by far the most powerful route reward in the game, so the mistress route is probably the easiest of the three post end-game if you use her (also, normally, without that bug, you'd have gotten her ten levels above the rest of the cast, because she's just that op, both in story and in game.) Anyway, while game balance is at a more satisfying point than it was at first release, I'll still keep on tweaking it to the very last one if needed, so any commentary on it will always be welcomed. (And the Demon Tower, from floor 16 onwards, is supposed to be the hardest part of the game, one you can't reasonably take on without full Saint Astha gear and a nice stack of powerful healing items.)

And, as you've finished the game and tacked NG+, I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind answering them.

- Is NG+ working properly for you? I'm speaking about stuff like events not appearing or playing strangely, or weapons or gold you got to keep while you shouldn't have, or characters in a strange starting state or... anything that doesn't feels right, really. So much stuff could go wrong with that system that it would almost scare me if everything was working as intended on the first try. ^^'
- Did you find Hunter's Oath? What about the Cloud Armor?
- Did you find the secret sewer hideout?

Lucky777:
Checked, you're right: the skill existed in the game database back then, but for some reason I hadn't given it to the overlord in game yet. I probably simply forgot to do it, and ended up convincing myself I had done it (does that sentence even makes sense? ^^').
STR

Postby Commodus » Sun May 25, 2014 9:32 am

Don’t worry about the delay. As I mentioned in my original post, real life may make me disappear for long periods at a time, so I can certainly appreciate your situation. I'm just happy to hear that you're alright.

You might want to revisit changing the title, though. I am under the impression that this is part of a trilogy. The game is listed as Conquest I in the Hong Fire thread, so I assume that was the original title, and the characters mention that there are two other continents, so one is inclined to believe that you envision making more games. Now, that may no longer be the case, but if it is, you may want to make this one Conquest I: The Birth of an Empire or something to help differentiate it from any sequels. On the other hand, I may just be reading too much into things. If you aren’t planning on any sequels, please disregard this part of my reply.

In regards to the proofreading, as I said, the errors are extensive. I really must repeat how impressed I am with how well you crafted something in a language other than your native one, but there are a lot of small things that are just off. I’ll give an example with the start of the game, which I’ll put in spoiler tags since it will be fairly long. Black will be the original text, red modified text, and blue will be comments. Since this is a demonstration, I will be taking liberties with the text I wouldn’t normally. This is also a bit of a rush job.

Disclaimer

This game’s story presents instances of violence, sexual relationships both consensual and not, foul language, and horrible, horrible attempts at humor.
This game depicts acts of violence and strong sexual content, both consensual and nonconsensual, foul language and horrible, horrible attempts at humor.
I rephrased it to more closely mimic the legalese normally found at the start of a game. From a strictly grammatical standpoint, the only necessary changes are adding a comma before both and removing the comma before the final and.

If you feel like any of the aforenamed points could hurt your sensibility, or if you are not legally considered an adult by the laws of your country, please close this game right now and never open it again.
If you feel the aforementioned may offend your sensibilities or if it is illegal for you to view such material according to the laws of your locality, please exit now and never play this game again.
I once again rephrased it. Offend your sensibilities is more idiomatic, and there are laws against porn in some counties that have nothing to do with age. Aforenamed is not an actual word. I believe you meant aforementioned. There should not be a comma before the or.

Also, this is a free work. If you’ve paid anything to be able to play it, you’ve most likely been scammed.
Also, this work is distributed free of charge. If you paid anything for it, you’ve most likely been swindled.
There is nothing wrong with this part. Once again, I just rephrased it to more closely mirror standard disclaimer legalese.

…master?
…Master?
A title of respect, such as master, used as a form of address should be capitalized. There are some exceptions, e.g. my lord

Master? Can you hear me, master?
Master? Can you hear me, Master?
Ditto.

Master!

Master! You really are awake!
What a cursed day!
I have been waiting that moment for so long...
But you must be confused.
You just woke up, and here I
am, already babling...
My apologizes, master.
I’m Yulgoblund, an old, old imp.
For centuries, I have been conselling
generations after generations of evil
overlords.
And it seems your time has come.
Yes: look at yourself.
All clad in your soulbound, dark armor,
probably thriving for blood already!
You are my new Overlord, there can
be no doubt about it!
What’s left of your predecessor’s orc
armies is awaiting your orders, and his
dark castle is yours as well. All what’s
left is to get out and do some evil!
So, master...
May I have the extreme honor to hear
out your first order?
Master! You really are awake!
What an accursed day!
I have been awaiting this moment for so...
but you must be confused.
You just awoke, and here I
am, already yammering....
My apologies, Master.
I’m Yulgoblund, an old, old imp.
For centuries, I have been counselling
generation upon generation of evil
overlords,
and it seems your time has come.
Yes, look at yourself:
all clad in your soul-bound, dark armor,
probably thirsting for blood already!
You are my new overlord, there can
be no doubt about it!
The remnants of your predecessor’s orc
armies are awaiting your orders, and his
dark castle is yours as well. All that’s
left is to get out there and do some evil!
So, Master,
may I have the extreme honor of
hearing your first order?

I took much less liberty rephrasing dialogue, but I did make a few changes. I think accursed day works better that cursed day. To wait is an intransitive verb. You need to either use a transitive verb, e.g. await, or a prepositional phrase, e.g. wait for. I used the former. Also, you frequently mix up the demonstrative adjectives/pronouns this and that. It may be your most consistent error. You also misuse the ellipsis. It should be used to indicate a trailing off and change in dialogue. If you simply wish to indicate a pause, a comma is usually better. I removed the word long to help demonstrate this. Also, since what follows is considered to be part of the same sentence, but should not be capitalized. Woke up is perfectly correct. Since this is only a demonstration, I changed it to awoke to show a different option. Babbling is misspelled, and you may want to use babbling away here. I changed it to yammering to show a different option. Yammering on can also be used. Here, the thought trails off, and a new sentence starts. In this case, the ellipsis should have a period after it for a total of four dots. Apologizes is a verb, i.e. the imp apologizes to the overlord. You want apologies here. I capitalized master again. Counselling is misspelled. Generations after generations doesn’t sound right. You can use generation after generation, in the singular, generation upon generation or generations upon generations; those all sound fine. One shouldn’t start sentences with conjoining conjunctions, so I turned the period into a comma and removed the capitalization from and. Colons and dashes have a meaning of roughly namely, and usually precedes a list of some type. It works at the end of the sentence, but not after yes. Since I moved the colon, I removed the capitalization from all. I also hyphenated soul-bound. Thirsting for blood is an idiomatic expression, and I believe it is what you intended there. While a title like overlord should be capitalized when used as direct address or as a character’s name in fiction, here it is more generalized and should not. I changed what’s left to the remnants and, since armies is plural, I changed is to are so that they agree in number. I changed all what’s left to all that’s left and added there. I changed the ellipsis to a comma, capitalized master and changed honor to hear out to honor of hearing.

You...You aren’t the monologuing
overlord type, as it seems, master.
Well...That’s just as good, I think.
While I have nothing against a good
evil monologue or two, it is true that
this tendency has it’s quirks.
Our last overlord, may the Devil have
his soul, was still in the middle of his
introduction when a hero put a sword
through his larynx, thus cutting him in
the middle of one of his famous ten-
line sentences.
And killing him, too.
Tragic, really.
Heroes don’t seem to respect conventions
anymore nowadays.
You...you aren’t the soliloquizing
type, so it seems, Master.
Well, that’s just as well, I think.
While I have nothing against a good
evil monologue or two, it is true
that tendency has its drawbacks.
Our last overlord, may the Devil take
him, was still in the middle of his
introduction when a hero put a sword
through his larynx, thus
interrupting one of his famous ten
line sentences.
And killing him, too.
Tragic, really.
Heroes don’t seem to respect conventions
nowadays.

This is a proper use of an ellipsis, but the second you should not be capitalized. Monologuing is a neologism, which I first heard coined in the 2004 film, The Incredibles. While it certainly fits the comedic nature of Yulgoblund’s own monologue, I changed it to soliloquizing , as that seems like an alternative that a very old imp that isn’t familiar with the latest slang might use. Overlord type doesn’t sound fight, so I removed overlord. You could also have type of overlord. I changed as it seems to so it seems. I capitalized master. I changed the ellipsis to a comma, removed the capitalization from that’s and changed good to well. This should be that, and there is no need for two in a row. It’s should be its, and quirks doesn’t really work here, so I changed it to drawbacks. If you want to use quirk, it could replace tendency. May/let the Devil take him/her/you is an idiomatic expression in some parts of the English-speaking world, so I coopted it here. You’d want cutting him off/short here, but I changed it to interrupting. Anymore nowadays seems redundant, so I removed one of the words. You could use either one.

But I talk, I talk, and you must already
be bored!
So let’s go straight to the point.
We are in the main hall of your castle.
If you go through the large door on the
south, you’ll get in the courtyard.
From here, you can leave the fortress.
The stairs going down on the right will
lead you to your personal room.
There, you can rest on your throne,
and save at your desk.
I don’t know what “save” means, but
your predecessor seemed to think it
was important. This is the only place
where you can save in the whole world.
The stairs on the left will lead you to
your orcs quarters. You might be
interested in buying some basic
gear at their shop.
But I talk and talk, and you must already
be bored!
So let’s get straight to the point.
We are in the great hall of your castle.
If you go through the large door to the
south, you’ll enter the bailey.
Thence, you can exit the fortress.
The stairs descending to the right
lead to your personal quarters.
There, you can rest on your throne
and save at your desk.
I don’t know what “save” means, but
your predecessor seemed to think it
was important. This is the only place
where you can save in the entire world.
The stairs to the left lead to
your orcs’ quarters. It would be
wise to buy some basic
gear at their shop.

I changed I talk, I talk to I talk and talk, although there is nothing really wrong with it. I changed let’s go straight to the point to let’s get straight to the point. The main hall of a castle is usually referred to as the great hall. I altered on the south to to the south. I changed get in the courtyard to enter the bailey. You may also use arrive at, be in or find yourself in. I replaced from here with thence, but you could use from there instead. Most of the rest is just small tweaks to make it sound more correct. The only major change was changing you might be interested in to it would be wise to try to stress the fact that the player needs to buy weapons, but that is really an unnecessary change.

We are almost there, master!
Please bear with me a little longer.
Our three best orcs will constitute
your personal guard.
There is a shield bearer, a warrior,
and a hunter. Like you, they do not
currently have weapons.
So, for now, you should take
the gold inside the two chests
behind me, and go buy
some equipment.
Once that’s done, you could go visit
your newly acquired castle, maybe
talk with your orcs...You are the
master, really.
Oh, and I almost forgot!
There is a stele in the courtyard.
I’m being told it is of utmost importance
that you look at it at least once.
And whenever you’ll feel ready to begin
your evil world conquest, just talk to me again.
Welcome home, master!
We are almost done, Master!
Please, bear with me just a little longer.
Our three best orcs will constitute
your personal guard.
There is a hypaspist, a warrior
and a ranger. Like you, they do not
yet have any weapons.
Therefore, you should take
the gold inside the two chests
behind me and buy
some equipment.
Afterwards, you might inspect
your newly acquired castle or maybe
speak with your orcs, if you so desire.
You are the master, after all.
Oh, I almost forgot!
There is a stele in the bailey.
I hear it is of utmost importance
that you examine it at least once.
Then, whenever you feel ready to begin
your evil world conquest, just talk to me again.
Welcome home, Master!

I changed there to done and capitalized master. I inserted just before a little longer. I changed shield bearer to hypaspist and hunter to ranger to help highlight the elite status of these orcs. I replaced currently with yet and inserted a yet. I changed so, for now with therefore, and I removed the comma before and. With the exception of the first sentence and the comma, none of these changes are necessary. I reworked the next sentence a bit. I couldn’t tell if you meant Yulgoblund to be making suggestions and then realizing he was almost giving his master orders or if he was suggest things for the Overlord to do since he is the master. I went with the latter, just because it fit better in the space available. To explicitly depict the other would probably require more lines of dialogue. I removed the and after oh. I changed courtyard to bailey. I changed being told to hear. Being told sounds like Yulgoblund is wearing an earpiece, and someone is relaying the information to him as he’s speaking. Finally, I removed the contraction from you and capitalized the final master.

Ideally, I could have the game text as a document. For one thing, it would be easy to keep track of where in the game the text belongs, given the different paths. Secondly, it would allow me to make comments and offer suggestions next to the text without actually altering it. Hopefully that gives you an idea of what I envision. If there isn’t a way to copy the text from the source file or make the game output it as some type of document, it may just be easier to transcribe it to a document that I can then send to you, but that would greatly increase the time required.

As for the map, you just want a generic, Tolkienesque fantasy map. I’ll get started on that. You said that you could provide a higher resolution version of the original. That would probably help, if you don’t mind.

I worked on the render for a couple of months, but since there wasn’t any activity in this thread, I lost my enthusiasm for it. Now, I say a couple of months, but I often only have a couple of hours of free time a week, so I didn’t spend that much time working on it. I’ll start working on it again after I complete the map. If you still want me to proofread, and I need to transcribe it myself, I’ll probably split my time between that and getting the scene rendered. I’ll start with an all-slaves-for-the-Overlord Overlord route to see how doable that is in the current vision. I’ll then go through the other routes, testing the New Game + feature. I wouldn’t get my hopes up about the render, though. I’ll get it done, but, as I said, I’m probably not any good.

Also, I can confirm that Battlefield Analysis was not in the last release of the game.

Anyway, sorry for the long reply. I’ll get the map to you soon and start chipping away at the rest. Thank you for the game, and I’m glad you are well. Welcome back.
Last edited by Commodus on Sun May 25, 2014 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commodus

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects