The Last Sovereign [Updated 3/15: 150+ ILLUSTRATED SCENES!]

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

Re: The Last Fucklord [Updated 12/12]

Postby Sierra Lee » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:10 pm

Crap, sorry guys.

Basically, you need to download version 0.3.1 if you want to progress:
RTP: https://mega.co.nz/#!6wN3URrR!jRn3JfT_6 ... s0Rd2IX8Yo
Light: https://mega.co.nz/#!bglyzKqa!r1w8YmFIK ... JunfrOlP5M

If you want to know why: at the last second I noticed a game-freezing bug if you messed around with the boulders too much (the second set) and so I fixed it, but in the process I closed off the path. Sorry about that - again, this is the sort of thing I'm hoping my new testing methods will catch, but they aren't properly in place. Starting next version, though, they should be.

DCF Wrote:Interesting game. I like that I'm playing someone who doesn't just want to treat women as objects.

Yup, while there will be a few edgier kinks as the game progresses, I'm embracing this aspect overall. Nice to hear from someone who likes this too. ^^

Adelhart Wrote:It's quite interesting so far. The actual plot and dialogue is hilarious - normally, I'd love take every possible corruption route in these kinds of games but the way you've portrayed Simon and the usual Chosen make me want to do the exact opposite. It's refreshing. Also, if there's a spot where we can't progress further into the game, some kind of notice or indication would be great so we don't spend too much time trying to move further ahead in the plot - I'm assuming the place where the boulders don't move is where you've stopped for now. The writing is good, and though pictures would be appreciated, it's not necessary either.

Thanks, really nice to hear from you! At the end of every section you're dropped into a blank green room with a message saying it's the end, so if you can't get there, something is wrong. In this case, I messed up the boulders and locked off most of this chapter.
Sierra Lee

Postby musical74 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:28 am

Something I'm curious on, does the Chosen die regardless? Get to the super-hard fight and lose and the chosen is dead but the game goes on. It's fine if that's the case, just surprised is all.

From what I've played so far, I like it, you can be a total *prim and proper* hero or a *hot sex? WOOHOO!* hero...
musical74

Postby Sierra Lee » Sat Dec 13, 2014 4:15 am

musical74 Wrote:Something I'm curious on, does the Chosen die regardless? Get to the super-hard fight and lose and the chosen is dead but the game goes on. It's fine if that's the case, just surprised is all.

From what I've played so far, I like it, you can be a total *prim and proper* hero or a *hot sex? WOOHOO!* hero...

:? We'll see what you think when you've played a little further, because yes, the Chosen dies regardless.
Sierra Lee

Postby kvier » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:09 am

Just played though 0.3.1 and all I can say is :)
kvier

Postby Dorant » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:41 am

I also really like the direction you're going with the main character with him being more reserved than most protagonists. Looking forward to more updates!
Dorant
Newly Registered

Postby ArdenWolfwatcher » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:42 am

Oh, a new update, you say? Well then, I guess I'll have to try out the new chapter to the story tonight! :D

I've found the game to be pretty interesting so far. I like the way you have the characters portrayed, especially with the Chosen all being complete dickwads and the real heroes being the regular Joes just trying to get by.
ArdenWolfwatcher

Postby SpectralTime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:52 am

Partway through playing the game for the first time, at the bounty hunter camp. Thought I'd put my thoughts down, but preface them by stressing that I still like the game and still intend to keep playing it. If I hated your game, I'd drop it. These criticisms are intended to be constructive, and I apologize if they are not.

I like the idea of playing the "grizzled old soldier character babysitting the stock hero," and Simon is a decent character. He's tough, moral, quiet, reasonably intelligent... Sure, he's basically a flat and saintly character with no real flaws, but that doesn't mean he isn't also a welcome change from the usual h-game protagonists. I like when my heroes are good people instead of raging jerks, and too many people mistake "complex character" for "asshole" these days.

I do wish that his gameplay (never leveling up, constantly losing HP from old injuries, constantly being overshadowed once other characters in his party have a few levels in them) wasn't quite so... thematic. It works, it just... daggome it, is it too much to ask to ever have "Silencing Strike" actually silence anyone?

The "Chosen" is annoying as balls. On the one hand, he's clearly supposed to be annoying as balls, a parody of the stock "hot-blooded dumb-as-rocks hero" type and the "aggressive asshole who only thinks with his dick" type. On the other, I already didn't like that sort of character, and I don't feel like the game is really saying anything about him I didn't already know. That this kind of character is just an unlikable jerk when the player can't use him as a view-point power fantasy? Who didn't already know that?! And while pretending to give the character roleplaying options was a clever bit of meta-commentary, having Kai be a complete dickhead no matter what the player chooses cheapens them right off the bat and gives away the game a little early.

Killing the first one off five minutes into the game was pretty funny though, and a genuinely badass narrative twist. And the reason I'm not complaining about the fact that all the Chosen are asshole morons who really shouldn't be getting empowered over other candidates is clearly setting up some kind of narrative twist, as is their carbon-copy nature. Here's to Tal actually growing as a character instead of just starting this whole thing over again.

Which leads into my next point: the obvious future reveal that the Church is evil and all their stuff is based on a great big lie. Bleh. I've seen this twist in literally dozens of fantasy games, books, etc. It's stale and old-hat, even when it's done well and with enough subtlety that the audience doesn't see it coming. And it is not. With the exception of that blonde chick, all the people we're supposed to like (and, to your credit, I did like all of them) are ambivalent to, antithetical to, or plagued with doubts about the Church's religion, while all the people we're supposed to hate are the worst sort of straw-stuffed stereotypes, hypocrites and judgmental, moronic assholes with absolutely nothing rounding them off or making them more interesting. And they're also taxing starving dirt-hut peasants into the ground, just to drive the already-blunt point in with a sledgehammer.

On the opposite end of the cosmic order, I can't tell what you're doing with the Fucklord's crew. On the one hand, the narrative shows all other signs of speeding full steam ahead towards a "the Fucklord was a good guy ALL ALONG retcon." On the other, literally every member of his broader organization who isn't that chick with glasses or the elven slave seems to be a giant, raging asshole, assuming that the majority of the demonic and/or sex slaving characters in the "opening montage" were his cronies. (Which I am, and I apologize in advance for any inaccuracies in that assumption.) Even Riala. That sex scene with Simon may have rounded her off a little, but she's still just as much of a full-blown "My way or the highway!," "I know I'm right so who cares what you think!" character as those Church strawmen. I don't *know* if that was your intention, but that's what came across.

Speaking of the Fucklord, his name is narrative ruin. Poor Simon is clearly trying his damndest to convey the gravity of his situation, but it all slides into absurdity whenever he has to use the name "Fucklord." The rest of the game at least seems to be trying to be a serious, dramatic narrative, but the Fucklord and the Chosen are both actively undermining that drama by their status as parodies, and the former can't even be talked about without rubbing this fact in. Well, okay, them and that middle-aged old lady with the hots for Simon, but at least her antics are isolated rather than center-stage.

One thing I'll compliment without reservation is your tweaks to the gameplay of RPG Maker. Having the game outright indicate when I've exploited a weakpoint is awesome, and should be in every game ever, while dead party members gaining XP anyway is a wonderful relief when I'm on my way back to buy another revival potion and worrying about them falling behind on XP. (Not that this game is being kind to my anal-retentive obsession with XP balance. NO! EVERYONE EXACTLY THE SAME LEVEL FOREVER AAAAAAAAAAAAhem.

Also, a player who knows what's coming can swipe Kai's Shining Sword out of his hands before he dies and hand it off to Tal. A bit of save-scumming on my part quickly confirmed this. I'm not sure what to do about it though. Locking Kai's equipment would give the game away too early, but letting the player get some nice things like that so early just seems like a bit of a bad idea. Maybe parse the player's inventory and remove all non-approved items? Or have Simon lose all items in the inventory after starting the first "chapter," then having someone in the church hand him a new pack? Hmmm...

Finally, the sex. I'm infamously terrible at commenting on sex scenes, so I'll be brief: I have trouble enjoying the sex if I have a negative opinion of the characters. Thus, I can confidently state that while your technical skill with erotica is great, I only really liked the Simon and Riala one, and that ended about as well for the reader as it did for poor Simon.

If I think of any more thoughts to share, I'll let 'em out. Sorry for the negative tone, as I do like what you're trying to do here. I just wish it were a bit less... angry and cynical. It makes for an unpleasant play, sometimes.
SpectralTime

Postby Sierra Lee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:02 pm

Thanks to everyone offering kind words!

SpectralTime Wrote:Partway through playing the game for the first time, at the bounty hunter camp. Thought I'd put my thoughts down, but preface them by stressing that I still like the game and still intend to keep playing it. If I hated your game, I'd drop it. These criticisms are intended to be constructive, and I apologize if they are not.

Feedback is always welcome. ^^ I'm only going to reply to some of it, though, because I strongly suspect some of your opinions will change once you've played further in the game. For example:

SpectralTime Wrote:I do wish that his gameplay (never leveling up, constantly losing HP from old injuries, constantly being overshadowed once other characters in his party have a few levels in them) wasn't quite so... thematic. It works, it just... daggome it, is it too much to ask to ever have "Silencing Strike" actually silence anyone?

It makes me really happy that people feel the thematic aspect of this, because I was definitely going for it. But trust me, it won't be that way for long. One of my main goals with this game was to capture a sense of progression: I want players to feel overshadowed, poor, and weak so that changing those things is more satisfying.

SpectralTime Wrote:Which leads into my next point: the obvious future reveal that the Church is evil and all their stuff is based on a great big lie.

:D Let me just say that I'm very aware of this trope.

SpectralTime Wrote:Having the game outright indicate when I've exploited a weakpoint is awesome, and should be in every game ever, while dead party members gaining XP anyway is a wonderful relief when I'm on my way back to buy another revival potion and worrying about them falling behind on XP. (Not that this game is being kind to my anal-retentive obsession with XP balance. NO! EVERYONE EXACTLY THE SAME LEVEL FOREVER AAAAAAAAAAAAhem.

Yeah, I've never liked how dead characters don't receive experience. Someone can fight the entire battle, then get an unlucky hit at the end and suddenly you're forced to restart the battle if you want them to gain anything.

SpectralTime Wrote:If I think of any more thoughts to share, I'll let 'em out. Sorry for the negative tone, as I do like what you're trying to do here. I just wish it were a bit less... angry and cynical. It makes for an unpleasant play, sometimes.

Hopefully you won't feel that way a little further in - by the end of this version, the game has settled into the overall tone and pattern I want to stick with for a good long while.
Sierra Lee

Postby Lucky777 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Sierra Lee Wrote:Thinking you'll start off as an evil overlord and conquer the forces of purity? Nope.

Yeah I'm out, fuck that shit.

Sierra Lee Wrote: hopefully be a lot of sexy fun.

...Or maybe I'm in.

DCF Wrote:playing someone who doesn't just want to treat women as objects.

Nah fuck that, I'm actually out, and for certain.

SpectralTime Wrote:your technical skill with erotica is great

..Or then maybe I'm in.

Jesus fucking christ.
Normally I can get a half-decent read on whether or not something is worth my time from the description and the comments, especially Speccy's detailed ones.
But even after this long and a Speccy post I can't even decide whether or not to bother downloading this thing.
If you can't have the forces of lust violently, successfully and conclusively overrun absolutely everything, then I'm out.
If you can, I'm probably in.
Lucky777

Postby SpectralTime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:56 pm

Lucky, as someone who knows you somewhat well, I can answer that question immediately: You will hate this game. You will feel like it is insulting characters you, personally, like. Don't play it. You will not enjoy it.

Beat the rest of the game. Unfortunately, I won't be able to post for a while. Give it time.
SpectralTime

Postby Lucky777 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:01 pm

Well ... I like parodies and shit quite a lot, actually, and I've seen comments that say the game's hilarious.

If it's done in an amusing way, "insulting" a character isn't necessarily something I've got a problem with.

It really boils down to the question I ended my previous post with, so I guess I'll wait for the creator's answer on that before deciding.

Besides, you didn't approve of most of the characters, and the rule of thumb for sex-slave fetish content is: "Where Speccy's out, Lucky's in."

Even so, thanks for the heads-up.
Lucky777

Postby SpectralTime » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:08 pm

It wasn't the sex fetishism I was hatin' on 'em for, Lucky. I can also give you a rudimentary answer to that question, though you'd need him to give one based on stuff not in the game yet. Unless one random bit of bizarre and creepy foreshadowing at the very end of the current game is to be believed, no, you probably aren't.
SpectralTime

Postby Sierra Lee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:39 pm

Lucky777 Wrote:If you can't have the forces of lust violently, successfully and conclusively overrun absolutely everything, then I'm out.
If you can, I'm probably in.

I don't really know you, but I'm thinking you're out. If "not treating women as objects" is a deal-breaker for you, as suggested above, then I think you're unlikely to enjoy most of this game's content. A direct answer to your question would be that it's more complicated than that, and based on your statement I assume that's not what you're looking for.

SpectralTime Wrote:It wasn't the sex fetishism I was hatin' on 'em for, Lucky. I can also give you a rudimentary answer to that question, though you'd need her to give one based on stuff not in the game yet. Unless one random bit of bizarre and creepy foreshadowing at the very end of the current game is to be believed, no, you probably aren't.

FTFY. ^^ And if you're referring to what I assume you are, no, that's not indicative of the game's content going forward.

If you're going to do another detailed post, I'm looking forward to it.
Sierra Lee

Postby Lucky777 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:48 pm

Yes and no are binary, and "it's more complicated than that", not being "yes", can only be "no".

So the world is "locked in battle between lust and purity" and you can't have the forces of lust conclusively win.

Fairnough, I'm out.

Clear answer appreciated.

Ciao.
Lucky777

Postby Sierra Lee » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:05 pm

Pretty sure you made the correct decision, so I wish you well finding projects to your taste.

Not to argue with Lucky (I'll assume he's off to other threads), but I'm sticking with my non-binary answer for anyone else reading. It's like asking "Is the Jabberwocky vorpal or not?" - the question demands a direct yes/no answer, but the question isn't meaningful without the definition of those words. However, I think it's a fair assumption that Lucky was bringing a definition of "forces of lust" to the question, and the game won't be delivering what he wants, hence his answer to the question is clearly "no." But my effort at a clear answer wasn't completely direct because in this game, it's more complicated than that.
Sierra Lee

Postby kvier » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:38 am

SpectralTime Wrote:is it too much to ask to ever have "Silencing Strike" actually silence anyone?
I know this really unrelated to the rest of the point you were trying to make, but for me Simon's (and later, Aka's) special abilities worked fairly often. Stun didn't seem useful, since it only lasted a turn, but blind, silence, cripple, weaken, and pierce all were astoundingly useful (but didn't feel overly powerful)
kvier

Postby Sierra Lee » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:18 am

I thought that maybe he just got unlucky, both with the RNG and using the abilities on the few enemies immune to them. FYI, those attacks should all work 100% of the time against enemies with no resistance (most enemies don't have too much). Stun is a weaker status effect, but it's attached to a stronger attack.
Sierra Lee

Postby sybreal » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:53 pm

I haven't seen a game of this caliber on this site in a long time. I am very happy that you decided to make this game.I can't wait for more content and I wish you the best of luck. I wish I could help, but I'm not a very good storyteller, writer, coder, or anything really.

I hope you finish the game, unlike most of the projects that get started.
sybreal
Newly Registered

Postby Sierra Lee » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:31 am

Thanks for the kind words!

As for finishing... yeah, I've been sad to see some of my favorite projects just fade away. But I don't know that making promises means much of anything, so instead I plan to focus on just keeping pace with the updates. That's the best promise of finishing, in my mind.
Sierra Lee

Postby ArdenWolfwatcher » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:39 am

I'm not sure about you guys, but I was using Stunning Strike a lot. It's basically my go-to first attack from Simon. The others are also incredibly useful, but if I can get that guy with a poison attack that I really don't want to attack me stunned for a round, then it negates the fact that he still has a chance to hit while blinded and I can eviscerate him by the end of the second round.
ArdenWolfwatcher

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Flash Projects