Best and worst country-specific cartoon animation

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Best and worst country-specific cartoon animation

Postby fould12 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:18 am

I like Japanese animation, I'm not sure about everyone, but I think it's the best around. Now, for some reason, different countries have different styles of drawing and animating; and I find one country, OVERWHELMINGLY disturbing and disgusting. Let's start off with:

Best cartoon animation: Japanese

Worst animation: (Warning, very disgusting)
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

French

What do you think?
fould12

Re: Best and worst country-specific cartoon animation

Postby thealchemist » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:41 am

...........what the hell was that
R.I.P Whores of the Old Republic
thealchemist

Postby BlueLight » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:17 am

The french looks like horrible clay motion. Some of the great movies made are done with Claymation. One that i can think of that i believe a lot of people liked was chicken run.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Cthulhu » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:11 pm

The one you just posted in the spoilers isn't just a "french" animation gone horribly wrong, it's a stop motion animation that was made by a Quebecois from Canada. It's called Têtes à Claques. It just so happens to be popular in France. I had to say something about that "french" pic you posted in spoilers because I happen to watch this webshow, it's pretty funny despite the "horrid animation". It wasn't done by some high paid company, but by a man in his own home; so of course the animation sucks, but it's pretty well done for an amateur imo. And I consider France to have pretty good cartoon animations from what I've seen: Totally Spies, The Adventures Tin Tin, Asterix, Le Roi et l'oiseau, The Illusionist and etc. You can't define a country's overall animation quality through one show.

Cthulhu

Postby GoRepeat » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:29 pm

I don't really think country specific is a fair notion. You can't say Japan is the best when China, the Koreas et al basically have the same style. I mean imagine if people judged "American" animation by shows like Home Movies (or similar squiggle vision). These are drawn poorly on purpose.... really it is just Western vs. Eastern art styles, and those even break down further without being country specific.
Picarto LiveStream: https://picarto.tv/GoRepeat
Other Stuff: Click Here
GoRepeat

Postby Thaedael » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:45 pm

How dare you insult Têtes à Claques. We had to watch that shit all the time in class. It's stop animation, with a mouth overlaid through blue screening. You are comparing apples and oranges lol.
Thaedael

Postby Schramm » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:52 pm

I reckon the best stop motion animation comes from the good ol' UK:
Songwriter looking for projects to be involved in, Please PM me if you are interested or check out some of my work here
Kelt Wrote: “If you were a centaur, I’d recommend suicide. Since you’re human, I’d say your best option is to fuck off.”
Schramm

Postby BlueLight » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:19 pm

... I still remember cheese on the moon from that. Tom and Jerry didn't help but oh well.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Return to General