The Rise of Hadrian. V0.2.1 (5/02/2012)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

The Rise of Hadrian. V0.2.1 (5/02/2012)

Postby Trish » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Version 0.2.1 is out! Only bugfixes though!
Hello there fellow LoK lovers!
The recent or not so recent RPG Maker VX games has gotten me intrigued. So I played a few of them and found them very enjoyable. So I set out with my own ambition to create my own RPG maker VX H game for
the loK forums. I know there have been several of these and that it might be too much. But caution to the wind! I have been creating this project in silence for little over a week to have something to give you before I start posting about it.

Please bare with me that im very new at this and not necessarily great at everything yet but I am learning as I build on this project. I will go back and change stuff on the old maps in the future when I have gotten better aswell. Also bare in mind that my language isn't native English so feel free to report any grammar errors.
Now I wont tell you the story of this game but in comparison to the other games this might be more narrative and more story driven. I dont think thats necessarily bad but I wont throw a hundred h scenes in it just because I must have them everywhere. I will do them with care. All h scene pictures are created via TKM 17. I will be sticking to that program since I am a terribly bad artist and wont be able to create my own H scene pictures from scratch with all the drawing!

Now I will be posting the link to the game and changelogs here on the LoK forums along with updates but most of my updates. Like everyday updates will go through my blog that I have made for this game since its easier for me to write on that blog and post it quickly. I will update the blog as often as I can and if you want to stay ON top of how I am doing, release dates, answer polls and help me out with grammar correction thats the place to post comments. You dont even have to follow my blog to comment.

But to the game!

What I will say is that you will be female the majority of the time but you MIGHT switch in the future to another character for awhile. Not sure about that though.
Updates below:
V0.1
-Made a intro screen ! Yey!
-Made cut scene to introduce the game!
-Made the first town!
-Made villages!
1 H scene avaliable.
V0.2
-Fixed invisible wall.
-Hold down shift to run.
Only works on large open areas.
-Fixed the bandits moving to the side after winning.
-Fixed a few typos.
-Fixed Grammars :P
-Fixed a few event errors and bugs.
-Continued the story from where it ended. With Hadrian. To continue just speak with him again!
-Added 2 more H scenes
-Changed stats on several potions and herbs
-Only stimulant resses party members from the dead.
V0.2.1
-BUGFIXES! THANKS!

Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?g2ksk9lz95llnvm
Blog Link for regular updates: http://theriseofhadrian.blogspot.com/

Looking forward to your feedback! :)
Last edited by Trish on Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:04 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Trish

Re: The Rise of Hadrian. V0.1

Postby Thaedael » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:28 am

Hey, going to bump this since I didn't approve it until now and it floated to the bottom of the page.

Just as a friendly moderating reminder, <10 posts means each post has to be approved, which means editing the first post will make the thread disappear. So to avoid this try not editing it until your 11th post if you wish to keep a log in the first post. Otherwise the moderating team will try and approve your posts as fast as possible =).
Thaedael

Postby Trish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:45 am

I will try too :P First time poster, long time lurker!
Trish

Postby Hnyarly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:58 am

I've played the version and I think that it's a very interesting start. I also fiound very useful the "surrender" skill. :)
My two cents go for a faster walk key.
Hnyarly

Postby BlueLight » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:06 am

How does it work?
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Trish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:31 am

Hnyarly Wrote:I've played the version and I think that it's a very interesting start. I also fiound very useful the "surrender" skill. :)
My two cents go for a faster walk key.

Yea I think I will get a walk faster key :P
Trish

Postby shinox23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:52 am

Downloading the game now... Will keep watch of this one... Sounds promising... Keep up da good work :D
shinox23

Postby haladar5 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:04 am

I've only just started but I really like the conversations you can engage in in the game. Gives it a more realistic feeling, especially with the bar scene though I hate that damned bottle in the middle. I happened to notice an invisible wall while playing though.
Attachments
invisible.png
invisible.png (228.39 KiB) Viewed 48667 times
haladar5

Postby Trish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:14 am

haladar5 Wrote:I've only just started but I really like the conversations you can engage in in the game. Gives it a more realistic feeling, especially with the bar scene though I hate that damned bottle in the middle. I happened to notice an invisible wall while playing though.

Thanks I hadn't really noticed that. Ill fix it right away.
Trish

Postby moonblack » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 pm

Hi

I tried your game. Overall a good start, but there are some problems and issues that need fixing:
1) You’ve disabled dashing on all maps. I have no idea why you did so, but PLEASE enable it! Walking can be really slow and boring
2) All light sources (like the fire in Sandra’s home) are static. You should turn on Stepping Animation for all such events
3) Hadrian: The second tab for his event (i.e. when Self Switch B is on) has the same priority as the player. Since the second tab has no character sprite it results in an invisible wall (the issue haladar5 encountered). You should change the priority to Below Characters)
4) House 2: The message for the tomatoes cannot be triggered because it has priority Below Character. The way it is set now you should change it to Same as Character
5) House 2: No message for when you have looted the box. This might be intentional – I’m mentioning it because the box in the other house has a message after you have searched it
6) House 1: The message you’re supposed to get when you have searched the box is not displayed because the event’s priority is Below Characters. You should change it to Same as Characters
7) The three guys in the hideout:
- It is possible to walk around the event that triggers the fight with them. So you can trigger it from the wrong direction, which can result in the player being stuck in the house after winning (no such problem for losing). I suggest moving event 6 one step down and changing it to Below Characters, so that it triggers when the player steps on it
- The three guys remain after you win, blocking the character from searching the place. They don’t have to vanish, but they should at least get out of the way.
8) I hope we get a chance to spank (or even rape) that arrogant girl in the village :)
9) There are a number of typos that I don’t have the time to list. But here’s an incomplete text from the intro:
You can either flee with me, we part
ways far away
from here and you can start over.
Or we can flee together and rebuild this

Rebuild this… what? Rebellion? If so I recommend changing that text to:
ways far away from here and you can
start over. Or we can flee together and
rebuild this rebellion.

That’s all for now. I’ll be keeping an eye on this project, since it looks promising.
moonblack

Postby Trish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:51 pm

moonblack Wrote:Hi

I tried your game. Overall a good start, but there are some problems and issues that need fixing:
1) You’ve disabled dashing on all maps. I have no idea why you did so, but PLEASE enable it! Walking can be really slow and boring
2) All light sources (like the fire in Sandra’s home) are static. You should turn on Stepping Animation for all such events
3) Hadrian: The second tab for his event (i.e. when Self Switch B is on) has the same priority as the player. Since the second tab has no character sprite it results in an invisible wall (the issue haladar5 encountered). You should change the priority to Below Characters)
4) House 2: The message for the tomatoes cannot be triggered because it has priority Below Character. The way it is set now you should change it to Same as Character
5) House 2: No message for when you have looted the box. This might be intentional – I’m mentioning it because the box in the other house has a message after you have searched it
6) House 1: The message you’re supposed to get when you have searched the box is not displayed because the event’s priority is Below Characters. You should change it to Same as Characters
7) The three guys in the hideout:
- It is possible to walk around the event that triggers the fight with them. So you can trigger it from the wrong direction, which can result in the player being stuck in the house after winning (no such problem for losing). I suggest moving event 6 one step down and changing it to Below Characters, so that it triggers when the player steps on it
- The three guys remain after you win, blocking the character from searching the place. They don’t have to vanish, but they should at least get out of the way.
8) I hope we get a chance to spank (or even rape) that arrogant girl in the village :)
9) There are a number of typos that I don’t have the time to list. But here’s an incomplete text from the intro:
ways far away
from here and you can start over.
Or we can flee together and rebuild this

Rebuild this… what? Rebellion? If so I recommend changing that text to:
ways far away from here and you can
start over. Or we can flee together and
rebuild this rebellion.

That’s all for now. I’ll be keeping an eye on this project, since it looks promising.

Thanks Ill look into it right away :P
Trish

Postby Trish » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:08 pm

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I will be doing several fixes and get V0.2 out as soon as possible since that the gang members are not disappearing if you defeat them was just a huge miss on my part.
Trish

Postby Shaolinraiden » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:14 am

I like what you have so far, I'm looking forward to an update.
Shaolinraiden

Postby Raio10 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 2:36 am

this looks good i cannot wait to see what more comes from this game keep up the good work.
Raio10

Postby Trish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:50 am

BlueLight Wrote:How does it work?

What do you mean exactly? The game? The game works just by starting it! You can just download it and play it :P
Trish

Re: The Rise of Hadrian. V0.1 (1/02/2012)

Postby moonblack » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:27 am

A few things I forgot to mention last time:
1) Permanent stat boosts are dirt cheap here - just 200 gold and sold in a shop. In most games permanent stat boosts are:
a) Rare
b) Very expensive
or c) a) AND b)
So I was quite surprised to see such cheap stat boosts in your game. Of course, it depends on what you have planned for the future, but you might want to consider a change to their prices while the game is still early in development.

2) Antidote cures Incapacitated (which is pointless since you can't use it on dead characters) and Poison (which is expected from its name). However it also ADDS Stun and Paralysis. Perhaps you meant to remove them instead?

3) Sparkflower Herb has the description "cures all mind tricks." However what it actually does is remove all negative effects except ATK Down, DEF Down, SPI Down and AGI Down. Not all of the removed effects can be called "mind tricks", plus it cannot be used on dead allies, so removing Incapacitated is pointless. Either the description of the effect needs to be changed

4) Snowblossom Elixir is supposed to only restore all HP and MP of one character. However it does a lot more than that - it also removes Poison, Darkness, Silence, Confusion, Sleep and Paralysis. Again either the description or the effect needs to be changed. I'd recommend changing it so that it does not remove any status effects - restoring all HP and MP is already great, especially at higher levels.
moonblack

Postby Sync » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:32 pm

Surrendering to the three thugs causes you to take a 9999HP hit - which is fine.

However, it leaves you at 0HP, so you're walking around dead (the dead icon is shown in the character status). Unless you're planning on introducing the idea of the PC being a zombie, you might want to look into that... ;)
If you notice this notice, you will notice that this notice is not worth noticing.
Sync

Postby Trish » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:40 pm

moonblack Wrote:A few things I forgot to mention last time:
1) Permanent stat boosts are dirt cheap here - just 200 gold and sold in a shop. In most games permanent stat boosts are:
a) Rare
b) Very expensive
or c) a) AND b)
So I was quite surprised to see such cheap stat boosts in your game. Of course, it depends on what you have planned for the future, but you might want to consider a change to their prices while the game is still early in development.

2) Antidote cures Incapacitated (which is pointless since you can't use it on dead characters) and Poison (which is expected from its name). However it also ADDS Stun and Paralysis. Perhaps you meant to remove them instead?

3) Sparkflower Herb has the description "cures all mind tricks." However what it actually does is remove all negative effects except ATK Down, DEF Down, SPI Down and AGI Down. Not all of the removed effects can be called "mind tricks", plus it cannot be used on dead allies, so removing Incapacitated is pointless. Either the description of the effect needs to be changed

4) Snowblossom Elixir is supposed to only restore all HP and MP of one character. However it does a lot more than that - it also removes Poison, Darkness, Silence, Confusion, Sleep and Paralysis. Again either the description or the effect needs to be changed. I'd recommend changing it so that it does not remove any status effects - restoring all HP and MP is already great, especially at higher levels.

I looked into what you said and made changes to several of the things, you will see what in the next version. Thanks for the feedback!
Trish

Re: The Rise of Hadrian. V0.2 (4/02/2012)

Postby moonblack » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:19 pm

I tried version 0.2, and encountered a number of issues (some of them pretty serious):
1) Minor: The guard in front of the inn:
- He should be triggered by Action Button
- His text does not fit the window - thanks to his face picture part of his text is outside the text window
2) Minor: In the church there's a part of the wall that can be walked on - namely the wall left of the piano. Most likely you accidentally put some invisible walkable tiles on it, judging by the shadows that should not be there at all. Should I make a screenshot to make it more easy to understand what I mean?
3) Major: It is possible to leave the village at any time, even if you just arrived, but the story clearly expects you to leave after certain events
4) Minor: In the hangout of the gang it is still possible to walk around the event that triggers the fight with them. Also, you get only one chance to get open the chest in the hangout because if you l;eave and come back the three men are back at their original spots and thus the way to the chest is blocked
5) Major: On the second day it is possible to leave the inn without speaking to the uncle. I suspect the event was meant to be an Autorun
6) Major: Once outside the inn it is possible to leave the village without talking to Hadrian (and thus without triggering the guards). I guess this event too was meant to be an Autorun
7) Minor: When you enter the house in the hills there's an event that should be triggered by Player Touch. Currently it is triggered by Action Button, so most players will never see it
8) Major: After fighting the bandits (and also after fighting the demon) the player is not healed. I think there's a common event that's supposed to be a Parallel Process triggered by a certain switch, but currently that event needs to be called by the Call Common Event command. This wouldn't be so bad if there was a way to heal after the bandits, but sleeping at the inn does not heal the player...

The stupid demon is way too strong, by the way. His Darkness spell can knock out Sandra with a single hit even if she's level 2 and at max HP, which is really annoying.
moonblack

Re: The Rise of Hadrian. V0.2 (4/02/2012)

Postby Trish » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:45 pm

Saw what you mentioned Moonblack and fixed these things, I am suprised I forgot about the event to the next area not being triggered by the actual event and being just there :P fixed the other things aswell! Thanks for the feedback. Ill put up a V0.2.1 with fixes not with actual new content.

I made the darkness less horrible but the point is I wanted it to be quite strong. Thats why I made it so you wont get incapitated after loosing.
Last edited by Trish on Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trish

Next

Return to Creative Corner