Customizable Brothel Management Sim RELEASED!

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Customizable Brothel Management Sim RELEASED!

Postby Birdo » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 am

Hey guys, I made this account just for this. While this is not the final product, I have a game which can be fully played and completed, designed from scratch in -get this- java. Download below:

http://www.mediafire.com/?yuj1p0i4y2yz3p7

So while that's downloading, here's a bit about it. I wanted to learn about java gui's and decided to make this game as programming practice. The appeal to the game is in its easy customization. While it's not quite where I want it to be just yet, it's most of the way there. See, this download comes with two things: the game itself, and a folder called "data" which contains folders for special girls and generic girls. While the special girls are not fully fleshed out yet (you'll only be able to use one per play through and there's nothing special about them except the red background on the button and the fact that their portrait pictures change), you'll notice that inside each of these folders are sub-folders, and inside these sub-folders are more sub folders, named "portrait" and "sex." For the generic girls I just grouped them by hair in hopes that all anime really does look identical except for the hair, but if I did my job right, the portraits and the sex images will appear to be the same girls for any given folder.

In game, this translates to the girls available to you. The generic girls are generated at random, taking one portrait image to represent them and memorizing all associated sex images. When you hook a girl up with a customer, you will see one of her sex images while your lovely hostess tells you how much money you made. This way, it's very easy to add your own fetish to the game.

To add your own girls to the game, simply make a folder of any name (this will be the girls name in-game), make a folder inside called "sex" just like that, no caps, and fill it with sexual pictures, then make a folder called "portrait" and fill it with more normal pictures, and BADA-BING! Your fantasy comes to life. I played it safe and just filled it with pretty regular anime girls to start you all off, but feel free to add or delete as you see fit. Customization is the whole reason I made this. Upload your own data file if you want, so others can share! For example, you'll notice there's no Krystal! Blasphemy! So make one. You can even upload it here if you want. In fact, I encourage it.

BASIC INSTRUCTIONS:
You can click the text at the bottom to advance the text, but it's not quite polished yet. There will always be a button on screen you can click instead of the text to progress through the game.

At the home screen, you see a grid of all your girls (if you have a ton, it may take a while to load the home screen. Resizing those images is very taxing, just a heads up). From here you can buy girls or send them to work. If you have $500, you can click "Pay off Debt" for an anti-climactic "you win" message from the advice chick, that doesn't even affect gameplay. *Bland confetti*

Buy girls will present you with a selection of 8 girls, their price is the last item you can see when you hover your mouse over her. If the picture is too dark to read the text, just move your mouse off and on again, and like magic the text is now white. If it's too white to read some, a quick flick of the mouse off and on again will bring it back to black. Simple, not great, but it gets the job done for now. Your money is displayed on the upper left, above the back button.

At work, your advice girl will tell you all about each customer and you want to pick a girl who best suits him. You want to match your girl's primary fetish with the customer's primary fetish more than anything, but secondary fetishes help as well. When you click a girl you think matches well, you will be taken to an image of her doing her work, and here you can either click your advice girl's text to read up on how well you did, or click the girl to go to the next customer given you have more girls to serve them, or home if they're all with customers.

You do have to pay upkeep, it's $7 per girl per day, probably will change in later versions. Other changes I plan to have are a list of fetishes you can customize (right now you just have what I've given you), the ability to set a folder to always or never include a fetish (sometimes it just doesn't make sense), and the ability to select a data folder setup in the beginning for ease of switching between them. Other changes may come with time.

So that's all, have fun and make sure the data folder is always in the same location as the jar folder, and everything in generic and special is a folder with subfolders sex and portrait each containing at least one image. i don't have any error checking in it yet, so if you mess up, you might be sitting at the loading screen for a while before you realize what happened. Also I just made this mediafire account and I don't know if it's going to expire or anything, so anyone who wants to mirror it has my permission, but post the link here as well. Thanks!

Also disclaimer - I did not make any of the images you see here.

****EDIT******

I know it was programming practice and my code got sloppy towards the end, but here's all the source code so anyone with Java experience can tinker around.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8fzcsh410s3jhcy
Last edited by Birdo on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birdo
Newly Registered

Re: Customizable Brothel Management Sim RELEASED!

Postby Savyar » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 am

cool looking game
Savyar

Postby BlueLight » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:12 pm

*MAGE GLARE*..... Shotty....... *Again mage glaress*
Okay so as some one who does not know what trouble you've run into, i must comment about everything i dislike without a thought about you.

Now the only thing i've really had time to look at was the start of the screen and you know something, it's annoying as all hell with the text over the picture. I literally can't real it 90% of the time.
What i would have done is made a class that was a JPanel with a boarder layout. On the center panel you place a image and the southern you place a text area (Okay i would modify this a bit but still is basically what i would want.) I then put the text on the text area and the new image at the center.

This is again coming from a person unable to see the problems you're going though.
Anyways what can i do to help?

Code: Select All Code
import java.util.ArrayList;
import mainMenu;
import java.awt.LayoutManager;
import javax.swing.JFrame;
import Girl;
import java.awt.BorderLayout;
import java.awt.Component;
import TextPanel;
import java.util.Iterator;
import GirlGrid;
import javax.swing.JLabel;
import java.text.DecimalFormat;
import java.awt.Container;
import ShopMenu;
import java.awt.Dimension;
import Global;

public  class Game{

static JFrame frame;

public Game(){

super();

}

public static void main(String[ ] var1){

JFrame var1 = new JFrame( "Sim Bro is loading...");
      var1.setDefaultCloseOperation(3);
      JLabel var2 = new JLabel( "Loading, please wait...");
      var1.setPreferredSize(new Dimension(400,300));

var1.pack();
      var1.setVisible(1);
      frame = new JFrame( "Sim Bro");
      frame.setDefaultCloseOperation(3);

String var3 = frame.getContentPane();

.... I think my decomplier is failing here.... It seems there is a shop method but i can't see it in the source.
3 things of note, assuming that my compiler was working for the most part.

1 var1 is such a ugly variable name, i suggest you change it to something else. Normally for JFrames people call them frame.

2 i wouldn't keep the JFrame in the same class as your main program. I personally put it in it's own GUI class called GUI. Anyways that's style and might lead you into more trouble.

3 this might be my decompiler but i would have the varaible for my Main method "args" because one that's how i learned it; two that's what everyone else does (not joking here. First time i've seen that was with your code.) and three you use var1 fir a JFrame later.

Again these are all assuming my decomplier is working expect for that little bit of a error where it doesn't show the rest of the source.

EDIT:
Anyways i'll look into getting another decomplier to see if i can make heads or tails from your program.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby bigdick69 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm

saturday i will download it but nice game.
bigdick69

Postby sybreal » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:29 am

It just gets stuck at "Loading. Please wait."
sybreal
Newly Registered

Postby bigdick69 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:34 pm

yeah gets stucks to mee too
bigdick69

Postby BlueLight » Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:35 pm

having trouble decompiling it. But if you guys can try to pop out the console and see if there is a error, i might be able to track it down.
BlueLight

Postby Birdo » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:35 pm

UGH! So mad. I just wrote this huge thing and when I hit submit I had to log in and lost it all.

Here's the basic gist:
1) It's possible that your stuff isn't loading because of problems with the data folder. Make sure every folder inside data contains a folder called sex and a folder called portrait and they each have at least one image inside. Other than that, make sure the data folder and the .jar file are in the same place. If both those things are true, maybe wait a while? A lot of intensive stuff happens on startup, and I haven't implemented much error checking or anything that even informs you that something went wrong. I really should, but I'm going to be busy with finals and starting a new job and stuff.

2) BlueLight, yeah your decompiler is kind of busted. But hey, don't sweat it. I'm going to update my original post with THE SOURCE CODE so you can all mess around with it however you like. Go nuts, anyone can do whatever they like with this! Make your own modifications, post them wherever, make data files, I don't care. In fact, I WANT to see people help each other out.

Also thank you, BlueLight for your second point. All the Java Gui tutorials put the JFrame in the same class as main, but in retrospect that's probably because they're trying to keep things short for learning purposes. I didn't realize this was poor practice.

So that's it, everyone! I'll also post the source code here for maximum ease of use! Also read versions.txt located inside the data folder to see some of my plans I had not yet implemented. Some TODO's are littered throughout the code as well.

http://www.mediafire.com/?8fzcsh410s3jhcy
Birdo
Newly Registered

Postby BlueLight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:50 am

Thank you.

I'll see how i can make your program sing like a bird.
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:04 am

huh...... um...you doing some stuff i consider crazy. For instant's you're opening a JFrame only to open a new one.

EDIT
Okay so you want to keep your logic and your GUI separate. I'll come up with a prototype GUI file for you to look at.

EDIT EDIT
GRRRRRRr..... This looks like one of my first programs. *GLARE*.

EDIT EDIT of a EDIT
So i know i'm giving you a lot of grief but to be frank, my first few programs were much worse than this. Anyways the main problem i have is that you basically require a game running to start your GUI. What if the person wants to load a game? What i do is making a shell GUI and then i either load in the information or allow the players to load in the information. However as a first try at a program i have to say i'm impressed with you. Good job.

-Blue, the mean guy who pretends to be a girl... Now get me some Koffee.
BlueLight

Postby Birdo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Would you like your koffee dekaff?

The reason for the two JFrames is that the game has a long load time due to the file reading, and the game cannot open for a while after startup. I decided to make a frame that I COULD open right away just to tell the user it's loading. I didn't know if it would be worth it to use the same frame and change all of its properties when the game is loaded, but it's sounding like I should have.

Also, I know it's pretty sloppy. Sorry about that, I just wanted to finish something and give back to the community. I didn't think people would be reading through the code until I posted it.

I hadn't thought about saving and loading, I was thinking the player would start over every time they opened the game. That's a pretty swell idea though!
Birdo
Newly Registered

Postby BlueLight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:58 pm

I'm a critic of critic's.
BlueLight

Postby BlueLight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:26 am

http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/ ... creen.html

This is what you want.
Got a lot on my plate right now. I have my own program to get working and i said i would work on it during the weekend...which i didn't. Damn finals scared me half to death.
BlueLight

Postby riddlebox1321 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:22 am

This looks interesting, with some work it could be a very nice game.
Also the name is a mouthful.
My latest side projects: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2Xg68C9gNthZnZZNHFOWVBkbDg&usp=sharing
An inactive member of the Sim Brothel development board, still stop by when you're ... bored.
http://sim-brothel-v2.bigforumpro.com/
riddlebox1321

Postby Birdo » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:59 am

Again, this is the earliest playable build. Finals time for college students.

Also I never really had an official name in mind. Any ideas? I'm open for discussion!
Birdo
Newly Registered

Postby ivaleon » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:48 pm

"Loading, please wait...." and nothing happens. Left this window open for an 1 hour, and still nothing ;o
ivaleon
Newly Registered

Postby BlueLight » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:47 pm

Well you broke it. I hope your happy with your self
BlueLight

Postby riddlebox1321 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:16 am

What version of Java is it written in?
My latest side projects: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2Xg68C9gNthZnZZNHFOWVBkbDg&usp=sharing
An inactive member of the Sim Brothel development board, still stop by when you're ... bored.
http://sim-brothel-v2.bigforumpro.com/
riddlebox1321

Postby BlueLight » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:42 pm

I think your safe if you're using Java 5 or 6. I didn't see anything to strange code wise... are you asking what it's compiled in? Two different things.
Last edited by BlueLight on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlueLight

Postby Starship queen » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:50 am

it looks cool
Starship queen

Next

Return to Creative Corner