Red (Warning: Bongo drums)

The place to post Flash-based creative projects.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party Flash work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Red (Warning: Bongo drums)

Postby Toyloli » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:01 pm

The comments made about physics engines means to make the frame count of the step animations shorter by abou 10%, then to increase the incremention amount (the distance covered when moving the player sprite) by about 1/3 it's current. Aproximately. Make sure they still align. This faster movement combined with a slightly larger jump height despite being less realistic is more complient with the majority of platforming games.
Toyloli

Location: Six feet down, three feet to the left and 12 feet up.

Postby Trogdor » Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:12 pm

Yo guys, quick question, I'm building this game on a macbook pro and the file size has started to get big enough that it's running slowly. I'm thinking about getting an external hard drive and I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation for one that would work well with Flash. Clearly, I am not a tech guru, but I get the feeling there are some floating around this forum and if they have any opinions, I'd love to hear them.
Trogdor

Postby Trogdor » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:24 am

Question number 2, and this one's for anyone with a working knowledge of actionscript... I have a symbol nested in a symbol, and I can't make it play. Basically, I have the symbol 'bikini' nested inside the symbol 'player' and I want to, with the click of a button, change what bikini looks like (gotoAndStop on the second frame inside bikini). But when I've made the button and added the code

on(release){
_root.player.bikini.gotoAndStop(2);
}

...nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?
Trogdor

Postby ReadyOrNot » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:36 am

Trog: Are you saying you do not have the hard drive space, or you do not have the RAM to hold the files? Is there a way to break up the files, and then bring them together once you want to publish?
External hard-drives are pretty simple, but if you already have a hard drive lying around, you could just buy a common SATA-to-USB adapter kit and hook up a normal hard drive to that. All external drives should work just fine for your purposes.

How big has the file become? Maybe someone on the forum can help you optimize?
ReadyOrNot
Newly Registered

Postby Borkenone » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:54 am

Trogdor Wrote:
Borkenone Wrote:The texts are a little hard to read since they proceed out of player's control.

Can you elaborate on this Borkenone? Do you mean that they're going off-screen, or that they change too quickly for you to read?

Sorry to reply so late, I mean the latter,
in most games usually player can control when the text change.
Borkenone

Postby Toyloli » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:03 am

Trogdor Wrote:Question number 2, and this one's for anyone with a working knowledge of actionscript... I have a symbol nested in a symbol, and I can't make it play. Basically, I have the symbol 'bikini' nested inside the symbol 'player' and I want to, with the click of a button, change what bikini looks like (gotoAndStop on the second frame inside bikini). But when I've made the button and added the code

on(release){
_root.player.bikini.gotoAndStop(2);
}

...nothing happens. What am I doing wrong?

The problem is that each frame under a given object detects as the same object. So if on whatever frame of Player your currently on, you then change Bikini object that Bikini object will only be changed on that frame. You need to perform the update on every frame.
There are two ways, the first is to script a code under the Player event that runs onframe, and causes the update to happen each time. Doing this with classes supposedly is better. But as I understand it your better off not embedding movieclips but having each object of clothing under the player object be separate and turning them off or on with .visible.

If I said is all confusing, then check out the tutorials section on this website, it has been covered several times.
Toyloli

Location: Six feet down, three feet to the left and 12 feet up.

Postby jerkface » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 am

Toyloli Wrote:The comments made about physics engines means to make the frame count of the step animations shorter by abou 10%, then to increase the incremention amount (the distance covered when moving the player sprite) by about 1/3 it's current. Aproximately. Make sure they still align. This faster movement combined with a slightly larger jump height despite being less realistic is more complient with the majority of platforming games.

...that's not what I said at all. I was referring to the issue where the player character will jitter while standing still on the ground. It's not huge but it does distract from the game. Also, this game may be using the forum's platformer engine, but it NOT a platformer. It is an adventure game.
jerkface

Postby Trogdor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:23 am

Alright, this is going to be a fractured update but what the heck. The version attached should give a feel of the inventory system I'm working out, plus a new environment. There's one new sex scene partially done -- it's blocked out in comic book form, but none of the pieces move and there's no sound. I've pulled all the other scenes for now to keep the file size down -- they're still available in the original game at the top of this thread.
Note: if you go into the witch's hut, you've got to click the tree by the entrance to get out again.
Note#2: For reasons I can't figure out, the game seems to slow down when you're on the swamp island, particularly to the left of the witch's hut. It seems to get better once you go down into the water.
None of the items you can put in your inventory do anything yet. That's all for the future.
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

GameProtoComplete.swf [ 1.8 MiB | Viewed 8251 times ]

Trogdor

Postby mrttao » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:44 am

how do you use the items?
mrttao

Postby Trogdor » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:14 pm

mrttao Wrote:how do you use the items?

You don't... yet. Game's not that far along.
Also, should have mentioned when I put up the last update, but you have to click on the wooden sign (by the mermaid's pool) to get to the swamp.
Trogdor

Postby ArdenWolfwatcher » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:30 am

It froze on me when I went into the Witch's Hut in the swamp, and is the witch there supposed to say the same thing as the hag in the bar?

Also, when I went into the bar, right when I got to the wall separating the two top sections Red dropped down a little ways and was then basically walking farther 'down' in the bar than what she normally does in GameProto2. Was this supposed to happen or is it a bug?

Great job, though, and I can't wait to see how this inventory system's going to play out or just what's going to happen when our mermaid'd protection from the trogs has disappeared...
ArdenWolfwatcher

Postby Trogdor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:57 pm

ArdenWolfwatcher Wrote:It froze on me when I went into the Witch's Hut in the swamp, and is the witch there supposed to say the same thing as the hag in the bar?

Also, when I went into the bar, right when I got to the wall separating the two top sections Red dropped down a little ways and was then basically walking farther 'down' in the bar than what she normally does in GameProto2. Was this supposed to happen or is it a bug?

Yeah, the original parts of the level are going to be super screwy in the version I posted above. You can still play them in the version at the top of this tread (page 1). The only reason I put the above up was to show the inventory system and the swamp environment.
You can't move around in the witch's hut -- didn't seem to be much point since there's nowhere to go -- but you can click on stuff, and if you want to leave just click on the tree near the entrance. The witch's dialogue hasn't changed because I just copied and pasted her from the bar -- she'll have new dialogue later.
Trogdor

Postby Trogdor » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Yo guys, Red is not a for-profit enterprise and never will be, but here's a good example of why donations work. I was feeling pretty burnt out on the game these last couple days -- there are technical issues, there's a huge amount of content still to generate and I was just plain getting tired -- when some totally anonymous badass dropped a dime in the jukebox, so to speak. And I bet he didn't even know it was my birthday :mrgreen:
So to all of you anonymous and not anonymous folks out there who've chosen to support with your dollars, and all you equally important folks who support with your good wishes, technical advice and support on this forum, thanks very much. Making Red is fun, but it's ten times better when you've got a crew at your back.
Trogdor

Postby AllenAndArth » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:38 am

no problem...we have your back, red is an amazing game so far
AllenAndArth

Postby HotCumSlut » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:13 pm

Best game I have ever seen really good job guys <3
HotCumSlut
Newly Registered

Postby core999 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:06 am

we all appreciate your hard work :)
core999

Postby BinaryAngel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:31 pm

I'm dying for an update!
BinaryAngel
Newly Registered

Postby Trogdor » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:03 am

BinaryAngel Wrote:I'm dying for an update!

There's been some progress but honestly I've hit kind of a slow spot -- not because development has stopped, but because I'm getting into untried territory. I'm actually a novice with a captial "N" when it comes to actionscript, and a lot of what I'm working on now is making the pieces of the game work together in a particular order. Sex scenes are a lot more rewarding, let me tell you, but I think this part is necessary to make this game playable. So I beg everyone's patience, and rest assured, there is work being done behind the scenes. Look for a new version towards the end of this week.
-Trogdor
Trogdor

Postby ArdenWolfwatcher » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:45 am

Awesome. Thanks for the info Trogdor. We look forward to all the work you've been putting into this recently.
ArdenWolfwatcher

Postby IxFa » Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:59 pm

I wish there was some scene for the elf girl getting her hymen broken. I have a bit of a fetish for virgin rape. Overall, I love how the game is turning out. If only you could walk faster.
I've notably written for Corruption of Champions, as well as other projects to a minor extent. My alias is always IxFa.
Current project(s): LAH's New Blog, Short Stories, Game Scenes
Commissions: Open
Requests: Open
IxFa

PreviousNext

Return to Flash Projects