Fan Fantasy: Episode 1 v1.03

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Fan Fantasy: Episode 1 v1.03

Postby Shinji62 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:48 am

Hello everyone.
I'd like to present my first game ever, Fan Fantasy: Episode 1.
It features parodies of different characters from different mediums. Such as anime, western comic books, and video games.

The game revolves around the journey of a young man who just turned 18, and is exploring the world.
You do this by completing requests from the local guild and various others who need it. As well as shutting down the local brothels(You can also pay and use them before you shut them down).
You are also trying to recruit as many women as possible to live with you. So that you can have sex with them whenever, and however many times, you want. There are some women you can only have sex with once, and because of this, every time you bang a woman, you'll get a picture. These pictures are used to replay scenes, and will be used for something important later in the game. So, be sure to collect them all.

The first episode features 17 women, 19 H scenes, 2 dungeons, and 2 towns. All of the episodes will feature 136 women, 8 towns, and 9 dungeons.

The game was made in RPG Maker, because I have no idea how to program. So, be warned, I guess.
All the art was done by me. I know I'm not the best artist in the world, you don't have to tell me you think it's terrible. I made this game to help improve my skill, so it changes a little throughout the game as I get more practice. I tried to make each character styled to be at least similar to their original medium. I've attached an example of each, so you know what to expect.

Let me know what you think, or if there is anything you'd like to see in later episodes, except characters, I already have them all planned out. I'll confirm whether a character is planned or not if you ask though. Also, if you find any bugs, let me know, and I'll fix them right away.
Anyway, hope you enjoy my first game, and will look forward to Episode 2.

You can download it here:
http://uploaded.net/file/ex740847
http://depositfiles.com/files/40obyffhr

Edit:
Updated to v1.03
Hopefully this will be the last version.
Patch notes:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

East Woodley is now marked correctly.
Fixed various spelling and grammatical errors.
Correct portraits are now displayed when talking to Chie and trying to enter Saeko's house.
Attachments
Annie Pre.png
Annie Pre.png (50.02 KiB) Viewed 18598 times
Gwen Ready.png
Gwen Ready.png (79.5 KiB) Viewed 18598 times
Villetta BJ.png
Villetta BJ.png (133.88 KiB) Viewed 18598 times
Last edited by Shinji62 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:34 am, edited 7 times in total.
Shinji62

Re: Fan Fantasy: Episode 1

Postby Sam » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:08 pm

I think you should upload it at Mega.

I have no acc by depositsfiles and I don't want to pay money. ;)
Sam
Newly Registered

Postby moonblack » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:36 pm

You don't need to pay money. Regular downloads from Depositfiles are free - you don't even need to register.
moonblack

Postby Lucky777 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:58 pm

Shut down the local brothels?

So is that necessary for plot progression or not?

Because if it's necessary, I'm plain old never bothering with the plot.
Lucky777

Postby Shinji62 » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:34 pm

Lucky777 Wrote:Shut down the local brothels?

It's not necessary, but you'll be able to recruit the women from the brothel after they get shut down. This can lead to extra scenes.
Shinji62

Postby Lucky777 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:13 am

Ah, not necessary.

Good.

I'll have a look at this game at some time, then.
Lucky777

Postby mando » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:27 am

Good game you have here. Like the idea, even if having established characters is a little weird for immersion. Fun exploring around collecting scenes. The excuse for rape is better than most I've seen on here, so thats good. Overall I'm looking forward to more, hopefully there will be an establishment of an overarching storyline.

Only real bug I found (I think) was that you can walk on some of the houses, though I don't really remember.
Other than that your towns and houses and basically all areas are really big, but filled with next to nothing. I'd suggest filling them in or making them smaller.
mando

Postby ker » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:34 am

Played through the beginning until defeating the fairy and it's a good start. The hand-drawn art is definitely unique and while not professional quality yet adds a unique flavor to the game. I think raindrops is the only other one using drawn art in conjunction with RPG maker.

A few pieces of feedback
-Either make the town smaller or add more ground clutter. People tend to make city and house maps way to big and empty in RPG maker. If you want to make the city seem larger than what there's relevant content for, create the transfer points within the city instead of at the edge of the map so the player gets the sense the city is large but only has to transverse a fairly small area.
-Have non-plot filler NPCs/objects to broaden the feel of the game. Not everyone has to be plot relevant but it feels strange if the town is empty except for the few people you have to interact with.
-If you're doing event encounters instead of random encounters their movement should be set to approach instead of random. So they try to initiate combat with the player instead of vice versa. Random encounters in RPG Maker is a poor system and I can't blame you for not using it. I've actually recoding a completely different encounter system in Harem which will be used in 0.6b
-The art is very good, especially for an early release (I use 3dcg because I can't draw for shit) but work on shading the characters better to give a sense of shape.
-Try to find battlers that more match the sprites you're using (or again vice versa). It's strange to engage a fairy on the map who looks like a humanoid and then fight a ball of light.
I'm making a H game of my own called Harem. Version c6m0 released 4/5/17
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2237

Blog http://harem-vx.blogspot.com/ Patreon https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2583450&ty=h
ker

Postby supersentai » Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:58 pm

I have been a lurker for a long time... But you are the one who actually forced me to go make an account to comment. :) The game is really nice really hope to see more of it. The good thing I like about this game is your artwork and storyline. Although I have a few concern. Like for example the part where I suppose to kill the Queen Slime I went out of town instead and Pocahontas is there and told me that I freed her from Tinkerbell even though I have not reach that far. And then I proceed to the next town and talk to Huntress and then I was allowed to proceed to the next quest of killing the man-eater plants. I ended up dead the first time because of how powerful it was. I was wondering if you can place an event where it prevent the players from leaving Woodley Town until they finish all the quests there first. Also it be great to include some sort of reminding scripts or quest log. Sometime I forgot where I have to go and do not know what to do. For example when the huntress told me to kill the man-eating plant near Velvet's house I click the text too fast by accident so I was only able to read that man-eating plant part. So I ended up going into the forest and killing them when actually I have to go to Velvet's house and kill them instead. Be nice to have that. Anyway nice game and good job luring me out of the dark >.<
supersentai
Newly Registered

Postby Shinji62 » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:44 pm

mando Wrote:Good game you have here. Like the idea, even if having established characters is a little weird for immersion. Fun exploring around collecting scenes. The excuse for rape is better than most I've seen on here, so thats good. Overall I'm looking forward to more, hopefully there will be an establishment of an overarching storyline.

Only real bug I found (I think) was that you can walk on some of the houses, though I don't really remember.
Other than that your towns and houses and basically all areas are really big, but filled with next to nothing. I'd suggest filling them in or making them smaller.

Glad you like it!
The game is mainly for me to practice my skills as an artist, and I thought it'd be easier/faster to draw a lot established characters than it would be to create new ones. There are some I just wanted to make H scenes for too xD
The main point of the game is the collection of scenes, so there really wont be much more of a story line. You're basically just freeing the spirits so that the world is protected again. In about episode 3, there will be more developments, but that's essentially it.

I'll go look into the walking on houses. I thought I had fixed that, but I guess I missed some x_x
I've got a lot of complaints about the sizes of the areas. The areas in Episode 2 will have a lot more stuff, so they wont feel as big and open. The reason I made them so big and empty, is that I wanted them to feel empty, kind of like a ghost town. Then for each area to have more and more stuff in comparison, but I guess it just didn't come across that way. Especially since there are only two towns so far.

ker Wrote:Played through the beginning until defeating the fairy and it's a good start. The hand-drawn art is definitely unique and while not professional quality yet adds a unique flavor to the game. I think raindrops is the only other one using drawn art in conjunction with RPG maker.

A few pieces of feedback
-Either make the town smaller or add more ground clutter. People tend to make city and house maps way to big and empty in RPG maker. If you want to make the city seem larger than what there's relevant content for, create the transfer points within the city instead of at the edge of the map so the player gets the sense the city is large but only has to transverse a fairly small area.
-Have non-plot filler NPCs/objects to broaden the feel of the game. Not everyone has to be plot relevant but it feels strange if the town is empty except for the few people you have to interact with.
-If you're doing event encounters instead of random encounters their movement should be set to approach instead of random. So they try to initiate combat with the player instead of vice versa. Random encounters in RPG Maker is a poor system and I can't blame you for not using it. I've actually recoding a completely different encounter system in Harem which will be used in 0.6b
-The art is very good, especially for an early release (I use 3dcg because I can't draw for shit) but work on shading the characters better to give a sense of shape.
-Try to find battlers that more match the sprites you're using (or again vice versa). It's strange to engage a fairy on the map who looks like a humanoid and then fight a ball of light.

Ya, I'm trying to improve my art with this game, so that I can work up to a more professional quality.

-I get this a lot. The maps in episode 2 will be much denser. I made the first area super empty for effect, so that each town you go to, there's more and more stuff. Which is more noticable once you get to the second town.
-I do have non-plot filler NPC's. There's only one in the first town, but the first town is basically just the tutorial. The second town has quite a few more. The first town is supposed to be empty. It even says that in the opening dialogue.
-I've found that having the battles on approach, is just as annoying as having random battles. The point of having roaming enemies, to me, is so that battles are a choice. Having them set to approach, it just makes it annoying having to run around to try and avoid them when you don't want to battle. I want my games to emphasize the H part of H game. I don't like it when H games put a lot of emphasis on battles or non H events. Seems kind of odd to me. If I just wanted to play an RPG, I'd go play Persona or something.
-Glad you like it, for the most part. I'm working with a basic cel shading style in order to make creating the game go faster. It already takes me about a day to make a single scene, sometimes more depending on how many frames a scene has. If I were to do more advanced shading, it would take even longer, and I don't really have that kind of time. Especially since this is just a free game that I work on in my spare time.
-After you leave the first area, this isn't a problem. All of the enemies look the same from the field. I made the first area have custom out-of-battle sprites, just so you know what you're running into. Since it's the first area, and I thought that would make it a little easier.
-If you notice, a these are generally solved by leaving the first area. The first area should only take about 15-20min at most(I can do it in less than 10), so next time you play a game and want to give feedback, try and give it a little more time. As a developer yourself, I doubt you'd want the entirety of your game judged solely on the first 5min of the game.

supersentai Wrote:I have been a lurker for a long time... But you are the one who actually forced me to go make an account to comment. :) The game is really nice really hope to see more of it. The good thing I like about this game is your artwork and storyline. Although I have a few concern. Like for example the part where I suppose to kill the Queen Slime I went out of town instead and Pocahontas is there and told me that I freed her from Tinkerbell even though I have not reach that far. And then I proceed to the next town and talk to Huntress and then I was allowed to proceed to the next quest of killing the man-eater plants. I ended up dead the first time because of how powerful it was. I was wondering if you can place an event where it prevent the players from leaving Woodley Town until they finish all the quests there first. Also it be great to include some sort of reminding scripts or quest log. Sometime I forgot where I have to go and do not know what to do. For example when the huntress told me to kill the man-eating plant near Velvet's house I click the text too fast by accident so I was only able to read that man-eating plant part. So I ended up going into the forest and killing them when actually I have to go to Velvet's house and kill them instead. Be nice to have that. Anyway nice game and good job luring me out of the dark >.<

Glad you like it!
Oops, that's definitely a bug, you're not supposed to be able to leave town until completing all of the guild quests. I'll go and fix it right away, and update to v1.01. I can't believe I got through 5 versions of the game and no one realized you could just skip the first area...
Since you skipped the first town entirely, you missed out on a lot of exp, items, and an extra party member. So, it makes sense the monsters would be too strong in the second town. xD
Well, if you talk to the guild master after accepting a quest, she'll ask if you've completed the request she gave you. Like, for the first quest, she'll ask, "Have you killed those Man-Eating Plants yet?" So, if you need a reminder, just talk to the guild master.
Thanks for coming out of the dark to tell me about that game breaking bug xD
Shinji62

Postby supersentai » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:30 pm

True but it was not specific enough. Like you said "Have you killed those Man-Eating Plants yet?". Where though? There is the west forest full of those things and they also appear as an event near Velvet's house. It be nice to make it a bit clear though :). Also I am a bit curious about those line of blue houses. Are those potential characters that going to be implanted? Like Sophia and Maria etc.
supersentai
Newly Registered

Postby ker » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:36 am

First I wasn't judging the game, just giving feedback on my initial impressions. And having a strong start can be very important.

An approach you might want to have to setting combat to be more player selectable. Create an choice on the start of the game for the difficulty for combat (hard-normal-off). Have that create switches for combat off and combat hard.

Encounters on the map then can be tiered events.

Top tier(last event) is dependent on combat off switch and it's just an empty event that signals that the random mob is turned off. Have the character level 10 times or so if they choose 'combat off' so scripted fights aren't difficult.
Middle tier (middle event) is dependent on the combat hard switch. Mobs approach and attack the player. Some players (such as myself) like to feel like we've earned the fucking and have some more challenging gameplay.
Bottom tier (first event) is not dependent on any switch and shows on the map as they currently do. You could also bump the player level to 3 if you want to make the 'hard mode' harder.

Doing it this way lets the player enjoy the game as they want to play it.

On the maps, if you get a lot of feedback saying 'the initial maps are too empty' don't take it personally, but take it as constructive and work to improve those maps.
I'm making a H game of my own called Harem. Version c6m0 released 4/5/17
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=2237

Blog http://harem-vx.blogspot.com/ Patreon https://www.patreon.com/user?u=2583450&ty=h
ker

Postby Shinji62 » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:47 am

supersentai Wrote:True but it was not specific enough. Like you said "Have you killed those Man-Eating Plants yet?". Where though? There is the west forest full of those things and they also appear as an event near Velvet's house. It be nice to make it a bit clear though :). Also I am a bit curious about those line of blue houses. Are those potential characters that going to be implanted? Like Sophia and Maria etc.

Ya, I went back to check what I had put, and you're right, it definitely wasn't clear enough on that one. I changed it to be clearer.
Haha, unfortunately, those blue houses were just there to make the town look more populated. As well as to add in little references. There are characters from the series most of those houses are referencing though.
I did think about making those the houses of women you meet later on, but I don't want there to be a bunch of back tracking, and it wouldn't make much sense for them to live back in Esteria, but be met in a different city.
Shinji62

Postby AllenAndArth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:35 am

I finished the entire episode but I can't get the second H-scene from emiko it says I need more exp but I cleared the town and got huntress, what level do I need to be to unlock it?
AllenAndArth

Postby konowal » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 am

how you can get to through the maze to poison ivy hideot?
konowal

Postby Ryan Nocturne » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:38 pm

Excuse me, can you please re-upload the game on another site? I just can't access depositfiles no matter what I try. I really want to get the latest version of the first episode.
Ryan Nocturne

Postby Seyser Koze » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 pm

Lucky777 Wrote:Shut down the local brothels?

Pretty sure he'll do what he wants, and you'll just have to deal with it.
Seyser Koze

Postby cookie jar » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:56 pm

konowal Wrote:how you can get to through the maze to poison ivy hideot?

Unless I'm totally wrong and simply lucked out, it is rather simple: (Though the "think of Zelda" reference didn't help me either I have to admit.)

The trees in the middle of the crossroards are not entirely centered. Just walk into the direction the tree in in the middle suggest by its position.

As for my opinion on the game: It's a nice start, though I got the same feeling ker did in the beginning: "looks a bit bleak/empty".

It gets better once you hit the next town though, as you already pointed out yourself. But as ker already wrote, someone might already be put off by that point.
In addition, some of the maps feel a litte too "organized". Unless their woods are plantations for the lumber industry that is. A little less chess board would feel more organic or realistic. I'm aware that takes a lot more work since I'm used to designing/drawing maps for p&p rpgs for the groups I gm, so I know a bit about the problem.

Other than that, as I already said, I think it's a nice start. Looking forward to where you go with the next chapters. :)
If you stumble across any typos, you may keep them and rear new ones in your basement.
cookie jar

Postby Kurushimi » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:43 pm

AllenAndArth Wrote:I finished the entire episode but I can't get the second H-scene from emiko it says I need more exp but I cleared the town and got huntress, what level do I need to be to unlock it?

From what I've been able to figure out, it's not among the current implemented scenes.

Remember the Lost Woods from Legend of Zelda?

North-West-South-West
Kurushimi

Postby AllenAndArth » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:28 pm

It's the tree man, the tree, if the tree is closer to the north of the page go north, if it's to the left go west...just follow the tree :ugeek:
AllenAndArth

Next

Return to Creative Corner