Eve's Garden

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Eve's Garden

Postby TheNeophyte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:06 am

BlueLight Wrote:
TheNeophyte Wrote:
BlueLight Wrote:I suggest you keep The character tile the game size if not smaller than your other tiles. it sometimes hard to tell what tile the character is on. Makes no sense, i know but that's my experience.

She stands on the tile which is directly behind her body.

as i said, it's stupid.

I don't see many options there.
Character image can be to the left, right, on the top, bottom or directly on current tile. Last option seems most natural to me.
She stands on the green tile currently. I think there is no question about it.
TheNeophyte

Postby BlueLight » Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:19 pm

I think the game's i've had trouble were RPG maker type games. Maybe they semi centered the sprite or something.'
Okay, i will leave you alone before you want to ring my neck... anymore than you kinda seem like you would like to.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Lucky777 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 pm

Seems interesting in principle, I'll probably have a look at it when it's got some content.
Lucky777

Postby rynek » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi, i have a problem , when i launch the game it says that MSVCP100.dll can't be found. Help please.
rynek
Newly Registered

Postby TheNeophyte » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:30 pm

rynek Wrote:Hi, i have a problem , when i launch the game it says that MSVCP100.dll can't be found. Help please.

You need to install a Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
x86
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555
Or x64
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=14632
Depending on your system.
TheNeophyte

Postby rynek » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks
rynek
Newly Registered

Postby jerkface » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:22 am

TheNeophyte Wrote:
rynek Wrote:Hi, i have a problem , when i launch the game it says that MSVCP100.dll can't be found. Help please.

You need to install a Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package
x86
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... px?id=5555
Or x64
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=14632
Depending on your system.

A potentially simpler solution could just be searching for the file in question and placing it in the same folder as the executable. If the program starts asking for more libraries after that then you're probably best downloading the redistributable.

On another note: TheNeophyte, you might want to try the game on a clean machine and package the necessary DLLs with it so that people don't have to install every function Visual Studio gives you access to. Or maybe it's not fully worth your time until you have your code mostly ironed out.
jerkface

Postby Grape_Drink » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:27 pm

I like it. It requires relatively quick reflexes/reading times, writing is simple but there, and I definitely enjoy the battle system. Didn't make sense at first, but once I figured out that there's a combo based on wing type (if fuzzy wings, cover butt, if black wings, cover pussy), it became much easier. Wondering if there'll be included consequences for if an enemy successfully procreates with you? At the moment I think my character would be bloated beyond recognition with butterfly eggs, heh.
Grape_Drink

Postby cereburn » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:39 am

Hello,
I'm wanting to play this game, but I have a hard time reading the text at the current font size and background color. Is it available to change those for the text window and the buttons?

Or maybe just make the button/text fonts bold at least?
cereburn

Postby TheNeophyte » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:42 am

jerkface Wrote:A potentially simpler solution could just be searching for the file in question and placing it in the same folder as the executable. If the program starts asking for more libraries after that then you're probably best downloading the redistributable.

On another note: TheNeophyte, you might want to try the game on a clean machine and package the necessary DLLs with it so that people don't have to install every function Visual Studio gives you access to. Or maybe it's not fully worth your time until you have your code mostly ironed out.

It's a good idea, actually. I'll try to make game package more independent, yes.

Grape_Drink Wrote:I like it. It requires relatively quick reflexes/reading times, writing is simple but there, and I definitely enjoy the battle system. Didn't make sense at first, but once I figured out that there's a combo based on wing type (if fuzzy wings, cover butt, if black wings, cover pussy), it became much easier. Wondering if there'll be included consequences for if an enemy successfully procreates with you? At the moment I think my character would be bloated beyond recognition with butterfly eggs, heh.

Thanks for positive feedback and yes, absolutely, there will be consequences.
Getting into sexy troubles voluntary or nonvoluntary will be the main tool of achieveing the global objective, as described in original post.

There will be item drops at the end of encounter. Basic example - getting ButterLeaf's eggs into inventory.
A simple task chain I have in my mind: get eggs from "carrier" ButterLeaf -> get seed from "tanker" ButterLeaf -> move to place, ecosystem of which needs more ButterLeafs and unload fertilized eggs there. Challenges here would be finding ButterLeafs in right sequence, not getting intercepted by other creatures that would ruin the egg load and alike.

cereburn Wrote:Hello,
I'm wanting to play this game, but I have a hard time reading the text at the current font size and background color. Is it available to change those for the text window and the buttons?

Or maybe just make the button/text fonts bold at least?

Would you please, tell me your desktop resolution?
And a screenshot of working game would be helpful too. Apparently there is some trouble with some screen resolutions, that I cannot yet identify.

Solution available so far:
Go to Eve's Garden v0.7/data folder
Open data.xml file with Notepad or alternative.
Find this part:
<!-- Game Window Resolution -->
<!--
Supported Resolutions
1024x768
1280x960
1600x1020
-->
<data name="Resolution" value="1024x768">
at the very beginning of the file.
Replace resolution parameter in value="1024x768" with another, larger one.
That will make both game window and fonts bigger.
A warning, though. If game resolution exceeds you desktop resolution, parts of game window will be cut off and game will be unplayable.

Another solution would be to use fullscreen exe.
I uploaded it on my blog:
http://evesgardengame.blogspot.com/2013 ... ckfix.html
Direct link:
https://mega.co.nz/#!3FJT1B4Y!DNrh0DmCN ... q4UX6Npxtw
TheNeophyte

Postby AllenAndArth » Fri Jun 28, 2013 9:49 am

you know...for ideas if you want one, you should go to fenoxo's blog at... fenoxo.com and no, it's not advertising
AllenAndArth

Postby cereburn » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:18 am

Hello, I'm running 1920x1080. I took your suggestion and changed the resolution to 1600x1020 and that is much, much better!
I've attached the screenshot you asked for.
evesgardenss1.jpg
game set to default on 1080p screen
cereburn

Postby Vid » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:15 pm

So I've been attempting to try this game out, but when I go to run it it says I'm missing sfml-audio.dll. I went and DLed that Simple and Fast Multimedia Library thing, extracted it, blah blah blah, and it still doesn't work. Wait download is it that I need to get, because I don't see that dll file anywhere.
Vid

Postby TheNeophyte » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 pm

Vid Wrote:So I've been attempting to try this game out, but when I go to run it it says I'm missing sfml-audio.dll. I went and DLed that Simple and Fast Multimedia Library thing, extracted it, blah blah blah, and it still doesn't work. Wait download is it that I need to get, because I don't see that dll file anywhere.

This is because you downloaded only exe file.
You should download whole game archive using the marked link

If you want to launch game in fullscreen, then after extracting game archive, drop "Eve's Garden v0.7FULLSCREEN.exe" near normal game exe and use FULLSCREEN exe instead.
There is no need to additionally install SFML libraries as they are already bundled with game.
TheNeophyte

Postby 4access69 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Two things:

Imminent timeout during combat greatly distracts from reading a scene text so in my opinion having a timeout is a bad idea. If reaction time is so important then you should not have any text for the player to read but rather just an image where a quick glance can convey the combat stage. This is a serious issue for a game with RoR elements. Also, randomizing button positions in combat is just evil and annoying. People rely instinctively on muscle memory and forcing someone to concentrate every time is distracting and tiring after a very short while. If you want people to play the game you should consider removing both of those annoyances.

Game crashes when launched in remote desktop. I guess it's got something to do with not being able to play sound.
4access69

Postby TheNeophyte » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:00 pm

4access69 Wrote:Two things:

Imminent timeout during combat greatly distracts from reading a scene text so in my opinion having a timeout is a bad idea. If reaction time is so important then you should not have any text for the player to read but rather just an image where a quick glance can convey the combat stage. This is a serious issue for a game with RoR elements. Also, randomizing button positions in combat is just evil and annoying. People rely instinctively on muscle memory and forcing someone to concentrate every time is distracting and tiring after a very short while. If you want people to play the game you should consider removing both of those annoyances.

Game crashes when launched in remote desktop. I guess it's got something to do with not being able to play sound.

Thank you for your feedback!

The timeout was imagined as a core gameplay mechanic. I went on with it as it was positively accepted by people who tried previous versions.
Is it timeout itself that causes you problems or amount of time allocated for choice? If latter - I admit I did not account for new combat scenes being quite longer then previous ones. Does manual increasing of time limit in data.xml help?
I will allow changing timer limit through GUI in later versions, up to disabling it altogether. It might remove some challenge, but if it negatively affects gameplay for some people, I'll do what I'm asked.

Images - nothing wrong with that and I'd love to add some visuals to the game but it will require cooperation with some artist or artists. I cannot afford to pay for commissioned art yet, so there won't be any progress soon unless I find someone who can do some free art.

Random buttons are my mistake. Was in a hurry and didn't test combat properly. Will be fixed. Sorry.

Can't comment on remote desktop problem. No idea how that thing works beside basic functionality. But maybe there was an error message? If so, would you please tell me what it was or make a screenshot of the crash?
Code does not check for errors currently and just crashes if something goes wrong. If the crash is related to inability of playing sound on current system, I might try to add a check for that, allowing game to run without sound or at the very least giving user a sensible error message.
TheNeophyte

Postby BlueLight » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:36 pm

TheNeophyte Wrote:Can't comment on remote desktop problem. No idea how that thing works beside basic functionality. But maybe there was an error message? If so, would you please tell me what it was or make a screenshot of the crash?
Code does not check for errors currently and just crashes if something goes wrong. If the crash is related to inability of playing sound on current system, I might try to add a check for that, allowing game to run without sound or at the very least giving user a sensible error message.

so if you want to test your program with remote desktop but just don't have a remote desktop setup,then if you have the windows version that support it, you could try virtual desktop.
While not the same exact thing, from my understanding it's very similar.
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby fivesteaks » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:37 pm

TheNeophyte Wrote:The timeout was imagined as a core gameplay mechanic. I went on with it as it was positively accepted by people who tried previous versions.
Is it timeout itself that causes you problems or amount of time allocated for choice? If latter - I admit I did not account for new combat scenes being quite longer then previous ones. Does manual increasing of time limit in data.xml help?
I will allow changing timer limit through GUI in later versions, up to disabling it altogether. It might remove some challenge, but if it negatively affects gameplay for some people, I'll do what I'm asked.

Why not keep the timeout, but when the user makes a choice it "locks in" their choice, stops the timer, and gives them a "continue" button? That way they can finish reading the text but still be subject to making a choice quickly. Also, try to highlight the key words in the text that affect which response is correct/incorrect so that once you've encountered a creature you can quickly scan the text to figure out the right choice.
fivesteaks

Postby TheNeophyte » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:04 pm

fivesteaks Wrote:Why not keep the timeout, but when the user makes a choice it "locks in" their choice, stops the timer, and gives them a "continue" button? That way they can finish reading the text but still be subject to making a choice quickly. Also, try to highlight the key words in the text that affect which response is correct/incorrect so that once you've encountered a creature you can quickly scan the text to figure out the right choice.

Post-choice pause seems like a good idea. I'll work it in to see how it feels.
Can't say anything against highlighting either.

Thanks for advice!
TheNeophyte

Postby 4access69 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:38 pm

TheNeophyte Wrote:Thank you for your feedback!

You are welcome and thanks for responding.

TheNeophyte Wrote:Does manual increasing of time limit in data.xml help?

Well I could do that, but as long as there is a timer ticking it is subconsciously bugging you to hurry up with reading and you end up skimming over the text, sometimes missing important parts (not to mention there is no time to enjoy it).

TheNeophyte Wrote:I will allow changing timer limit through GUI in later versions, up to disabling it altogether.

Having option of disabling timers would be nice.

TheNeophyte Wrote:No idea how that thing works beside basic functionality.

Remote desktop is what it says -- you remote to another computer and run programs on it while output is shown on your current computer. This may or may not include sound depending on RDP settings.

TheNeophyte Wrote:If the crash is related to inability of playing sound on current system, I might try to add a check for that, allowing game to run without sound

It is inability to play sound on remote system on which the game is running because you may connect to said system with audio disabled (options are: play audio on remote system, bring to local system, disabled). Adding a check for working audio device and allowing the game to run without sound would be nice.
4access69

Previous

Return to Creative Corner