Another Tail [Original]

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: Another Tail...

Postby Gregdgreat » Sat May 14, 2011 6:09 am

Hold on i gata find my disk and break out the game cube now... idr where im stuck either... or where my memory cards are qq
Some call me crazy. Others, insane. But i believe that the world is insane and it's people are crazy. I guess that would make me... normal. How boring.
Gregdgreat

Postby AnotherArrow » Sat May 14, 2011 5:16 pm

Funny thing is... I haven't played it yet... its still in its shrink wrap on the shelf... never got around to playing it... and after hearing how bad it was from friends, I never had any motivation to open it up and play it. I still have no motivation of play it even after working on this project.

Anyway...
I've though of a way to consolidate more of my symbols and make the workflow a little ...um... tidier. However, I'm not sure if it will work. Oh well, on with testing! If it works, it will cut out 2/3 of my symbols.

EDIT UPDATE:
Well, I just tried my idea... it works... but the logic behind it is confusing the fuck out of me, mainly because I didn't edit any code...
It shouldn't work... until I change some code... but it is... WTF

Basically, I've got code that works it way up a nested movie clip hierarchy to retrieve data from the stage. So, a "child" symbol invokes a custom function from its "parent", and so forth.
Example: Child.GetData -> Parent.GetData -> Parent_Parent.GetData -> Parent_Parent_Parent.GetData -> Stage.GetData.

Now, what is bugging me is I nullified the code from one parent by turning it into a graphic symbol (from a movie clip). Graphic Symbols can't run code and can't have custom classes and functions. So, in my example, it shouldn't be able to "get data" from its parent. Yet it is...
Example Of My Logic: Child.GetData -> Parent.GetData -? Parent_Parent.GetData -? Parent_Parent_Parent.GetData -> Stage.GetData.

Does this mean that the first "getdata" skips to its parent's parent if its parent is a graphic symbol? (confused yet?)
AnotherArrow

Postby Digfree » Sat May 14, 2011 8:04 pm

meh... is it just me? or are sharp claws not the best males for the game? I mean they are way overused. True they are in adventure, and true they got the sprite made of them and looks good, but why not do other villains from starfox? I mean, everything is a furry in the game, make new ones, or just do Starwolf.

Don't hate me about the sharpclaw part, they are a good generic baddie cause they do all look the same, but still, some variety? lol I should animate wolf and his team, but I am bad at drawing humanoid stuff. oh well, maybe later I'll try, not sure.
ImageImageImageImage
Digfree

Postby kitsune106 » Sat May 14, 2011 10:44 pm

wow. this is cool so far. sorry, can't help with the programming, but loved your version so far.
kitsune106

Postby IrrelevantComment » Sat May 14, 2011 11:22 pm

I may be wrong, but I thought graphic symbols can't have children either? How can the parent of the parent of the initial child be a Graphic symbol?
IrrelevantComment

Postby AnotherArrow » Sun May 15, 2011 3:24 am

Graphic Symbols work exactly like Movie Clip Symbols... with some minor differences.
Good vid to explain the difference http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5vG-5SbAyo.

Anyway, I figured out the logic, so its all good...
but decided to scrap my symbol reduction plan.
While it would have saved me from making a ton of symbols, I found it will limit other perks from a developers stance.

On another matter, after deciding what to do with the head, I've had to do another rewrite of my code... now you'll have a few more customizations to play with. :D

Nothing yet though. Everything is broken.
AnotherArrow

Postby Acidrayne360 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:16 am

AnotherArrow Wrote:(confused yet?)

...Yup... :oops:

You know, sometimes being only good at generating ideas, and not making them come true with all the art and coding is a burden, because I can never really know how much work it really takes to make those ideas into something tangible...Or atleast interactable in this case. That's why I like you guys, cause if anybody with the know-how agrees with an idea of mine, it has a chance of becoming something. People like you, Arrow, are the backbone of this forum, and every flash game site on the web. Do me and everyone a favor, and never give up. (And feel free to laugh at this attempt at making myself useful in this situation, since I'm quite sure that this is a sucky motivational speech.)
Acidrayne360

Postby Gregdgreat » Mon May 16, 2011 8:07 am

Honestly it was that bad, kinda confusing and as a kid i really didnt understand wtf to do half the time, im still stuck at this part at a castle in the sky or some crap, idk but its all dark and i cant see... i think i missed doing something in the beginning and its kinda sad that i remember that. The most sad part about this is that fact that remembering all the way to the beginning i remember NOT breaking the wall that has me stuck and i can break this wall down now BECAUSE as a kid i said "Why waste the seed on a wall that i dont NEED to break." Well a few things are wrong with that statement as ive grown up and played alot of videogames. For dealing with breakable walls: 1. Its a trap!!! 2. There is treasure. 3. Unlocks a shortcut around the hard enemys. 4. Whats the worst that can happen? Death? Death cant stop you in a videogame :P 5. That theres really only 4 things that i can think of and not to stress myself about leaving the 4 without a 5th to make it look complete... DAMN IT!
Some call me crazy. Others, insane. But i believe that the world is insane and it's people are crazy. I guess that would make me... normal. How boring.
Gregdgreat

Postby hippymiester » Tue May 17, 2011 10:17 am

i realy like the positions and the time your taking but im impatient and i would like a taste :D as im sure every one of us rabid fans are
hippymiester
Newly Registered

Postby AnotherArrow » Tue May 17, 2011 8:14 pm

New Control interface for the enhanced customization... still need to fix a few things though...

oh, I haven't build the preset body sets yet, so... your stuck making your own characters for the time being.

more to come....
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

AnotherTail - Asset Developement 4.swf [ 302.4 KiB | Viewed 10264 times ]

AnotherArrow

Postby Anonymous » Wed May 18, 2011 2:08 am

dude that is the best thing i've seen on this site in a long time
imo
Anonymous

Postby FuzzFace » Wed May 18, 2011 2:34 am

Very well done! I’m beginning to become inspired to work with flash. Right now, I’m *attempting* to learn flash myself, is there any way I could help? Give me a goal to strive for?
FuzzFace

Postby mcbobinite » Wed May 18, 2011 3:13 pm

wow yea those honestly look amazing, i scrolled down and saw that and just thought "HOT!"
mcbobinite

Postby Trevor_Belmondo » Wed May 18, 2011 4:19 pm

Looks really amazing.
Trevor_Belmondo

Postby AnotherArrow » Wed May 18, 2011 4:20 pm

As I stated before, my current goal is to create this "all-in-one" model. After that, once this model and my "male" set is complete, I'm going to release them (with instructions) so that the LoK community can help me create and compile "animations" for use in my game.... buts that going to be a while.

I've also been in the process of making a "developer" model that will allow the community help me design "Outfits" and maybe more characters... but constant changes to my base model and code is pushing that back...

Speaking of code... I've got to do another rewrite... again.... sorry, next update is going to have to wait.
Long story short:
I had a base plan and structure of how I wanted to write my code originally, but, having a plan and structure only works if you know how the code (especially AS3) works to begin with. With each feature that I've added (whether it was planned or not), I've found myself further and further away from the code structure that I originally planned. I was rushing to get things working to see my results that I took bad shortcuts, very bad shortcuts. So bad, that my character wouldn't even be usable in my game.

So, @Fuzz, and anyone else who's looking to help, give me some time, once I've finished this next code update, I'll prioritize on that developer model.

Also, for those who don't have flash, give me constructive criticism. It helps. It makes me look at things differently to see what you're seeing and if I can improve it. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't.

PS. If your wondering why 1 "pose" position moves slightly in the last update (and any future update), its to make sure my symbols don't f-up during a motion tween.
AnotherArrow

Postby Acidrayne360 » Wed May 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Wow, dude, this is shaping up quite nicely. :P
Acidrayne360

Postby rooiehaan » Wed May 18, 2011 11:43 pm

wow, hearing those stories and seeing your progress really makes me think you're having a real pain with that program
i think its admirable that you haven't given up yet, and that you keep fighting this monster
kudos dude
Breathe easy, the doctors are about to arrive
rooiehaan

Postby AnotherArrow » Thu May 19, 2011 2:18 am

Code was easier to fix then I first thought. And i was able to remove about 20 classes that did the same thing >_<

So I started working on the developer model file, and after about 10mins of reorganizing stuff to help you... i said fuck it!
too much work...
way too much work...

So, instead, I've uploaded my current asset development file in a rar @ :http://depositfiles.com/files/dkqjsozqb
This includes a CS4 and CS5 version of the fla and all the classes just to get it working.

Nothing is commented in the code (the mark of a true programmer!), so good luck there.
Try not to get lost in my nested symbols. Some may look like their doing nothing, and that maybe true, but I assure you, they had a purpose at one point. I swear.

Hell, if you can figure out my work, give yourself a cookie. You've earned it.

Anyway, (re?)added the preset mod.
Attachments
Click to Play
(Javascript Required)

AnotherTail - Asset Developement 4.1.swf [ 295.49 KiB | Viewed 7833 times ]

AnotherArrow

Postby Reaver » Fri May 20, 2011 12:21 am

well looks pretty good but the generics seems off but i cant put my finger on it.......
Renegade, Mercenary, Wielder of the Shaft of Justice, Angel-Rapist, Rp Contract Killer
He enters like a shadow, exits like a Horseman of the Apocalypse.
Seen it all, done it all.
Keeper-Senpai
Reaver

Postby AnotherArrow » Fri May 20, 2011 12:55 am

I get that feeling too, ikechi.
The hardest part of making this model is making sure the mouth opens the same way for everyone. I felt by doing so, the human face feels a little off from the rest of the body, but... not too off...
I'm just hoping when I finish adding the various Ears, Hairstyles, and Eyes things will work out.

Miyu's ears are turning out to be a fucking pain right now... nothing looks right.
AnotherArrow

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner