Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.09 (4/18/12)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Which character is your favorite so far?

Emilia (Warrior)
12%
Rhiannon (Berserker)
13%
Irine (Priest)
10%
Cesca (Thief)
13%
Thyme (Sage)
16%
Lanie (Magician)
13%
Sairyn (Martial Artist)
10%
Asella (Paladin)
12%

Total votes : 1714

Re: Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Release: Ver.0.03 (8/21/1

Postby AbysmalTears » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm

That button idea. Toggle text bubble on/off during scenes, that would be pretty slick. Of course it's probably not so easy to implement...

I rather like the idea but the button sounds like it'll be difficult to implement in RPG VX. i would suggest a leaving a blank space after a couple words where the entire view is just the picture. I dunno how to explain. Like after the first few words there would be a pause where the bottom text box would disappear and you can view the picture being shown. Its actually been done with games like Anise.
AbysmalTears

Postby KITAmaru » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:16 pm

That's something I've been meaning to do since the beginning, that or simply take good hi -res screen shots that can maybe survive cropping a bit better (like with Harem). Right now I do need to slide the text boxes down a bit though, for the sake of seeing the action. I realize that the recent MMF scene tends to get obscured by the text box and I'm working on that tonight to be released in 0.0.4. Again, trying to get that done as I feel really bad for the people who have to play the game in its current state, as the bandit chasers and their trapping of the PC basically make the Chambers unplayable.
Current project:
Despair Labyrinth (RPG) Latest Update: 0.09 (4/18/12):
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=1640
Wiki:
http://despairlabyrinth.wikia.com
KITAmaru

Postby AbysmalTears » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:23 pm

Sounds interesting. looking forward to it lol. Can't wait for 0.0.4 to be released. When can we expect to be seeing it? :D
AbysmalTears

Postby Fakkufun7 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 pm

The game looks great! This looks like a promising beginning for a great H-RPG. I have a few questions about RPG maker VX though for those knowledgeable about it...

1. Is it possible to import content that doesn't come pre-loaded on the program. Example: Is it possible to add different character faces?

2. Does the program allow for sprite editing? Example: Could one import a pre-made sprite?

3. How do events and cut-scenes work? Example: Is it possible to import outside image files and then merely have text present at the bottom of the screen for H-events?

Depending on the answers above, I myself might begin my own project with RPG maker VX! Unlike flash editors, RPG maker is relatively cheap.
Fakkufun7

Postby AbysmalTears » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:09 pm

Hmm... i am not too knowledgable with RPG VX but i think i can answer your questions for the most part.

1. i believe this is possible as i have seen it done on many other rpg attempts. And the editing system in VX is actually pretty lenient.

2. yes you can most likely implement a premade sprite
Ex: Anise

3. Cutscenes can be made using the rpg maker VX's system. its actually fairly easy and even people new to the program can make a fairly simple cutscene. As for the outside image files..... i'm not too sure but its highly possible.

I can't say for sure but i believe this is for the most part accurate.
AbysmalTears

Postby KITAmaru » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:31 pm

An ETA for 0.0.4., which is primarily a bugfix patch with two new scenes, is before the end of this Sunday. Might be earlier depending.

0.0.5 will likely be a week and a half after that (9/7 or something), as it will have 3 new areas and scenes, two new storyline relevant NPC's, and more tweaks.

Fakku: Yes, yes and yes. Sprite editing or import plus custom faces is easily available via personal creation or a variety of sites. For sprites however, it needs to be a .png and you must define which color will be transparent, but that's about it.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Lucky777 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:02 pm

KITAmaru Wrote:It's pretty sad as I don't personally feel they need to see that stuff at such a young age--there's really all the time in the world to fap or have THOSE relations with other people later.

Nonsense, the earlier the start, the better. "All the time in the world" isn't going to apply to everybody, and even if it did, more time is better.

KITAmaru Wrote:That's something I've been meaning to do since the beginning, that or simply take good hi -res screen shots that can maybe survive cropping a bit better (like with Harem). Right now I do need to slide the text boxes down a bit though, for the sake of seeing the action. I realize that the recent MMF scene tends to get obscured by the text box and I'm working on that tonight to be released in 0.0.4. Again, trying to get that done as I feel really bad for the people who have to play the game in its current state, as the bandit chasers and their trapping of the PC basically make the Chambers unplayable.

Total honesty? transparency would be nice, but I'd say the text is like 1.5 times hotter than the actual nonmoving scene : O

...Aw man, finally finished looking at all the scenes for all the peeps. I... kinda wish you could vote for the student from Lanie's scenario up there. DUDE'S A BAWSS.
Lucky777

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:25 am

Hey man, I'm just tryin' not to get V&'d here! LOL
Haha, I guess I'll take that as a compliment in terms of the text being hotter than the scene.

Some good news: I've just found and implemented a script which will allow you to HIDE the textbox (during H-scenes and otherwise) with the F8 button. This update'll be better than I thought!
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Kuragari » Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:48 am

KITAmaru Wrote: Again, trying to get that done as I feel really bad for the people who have to play the game in its current state, as the bandit chasers and their trapping of the PC basically make the Chambers unplayable.

Hey now, the chambers are NOT unplayable!

All you have to do is make sure you stock up on potions before you reach the assassian area, and make sure to get what experience you can from fighting the gargoyles. And the Assassians, their not that hard.

Mostly you have to use skills to take them out until you bought the better weapon or am level 3.

oni-san Wrote:well i'm personally with Kuragari. I have no social life either (lazy bum <), and I can certainly help with anything that needs doing in the game, as I have RPGVX as well, but no idea how to use it. So if you could show me how this is done, I can and I am willing to help lighten the load

Hey now, I'm not lazy! :p I'm just not very good in the social areana in the Real World. That, and most things people in my age-group (20) like to do I don't.
Kuragari

Postby AbysmalTears » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:10 am

Good news on solving that transparency problem :) and thanks for letting me know the ETA for the version. I actually find myself with a lot of free time as well so if there's anything i can help with i'd gladly do it.

Yes the chambers are actually pretty easy. Have to say the special scenes could use a bit more variety rather than using Grudges and Crushes on every single one of them (besides the few exceptions). I can actually imagine Rhiannon having a lot of people hating her and Lanie having a lot of admirers but the others could have a lot more diverse crowd of customers.
AbysmalTears

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:53 am

KITAmaru Wrote:That's something I've been meaning to do since the beginning, that or simply take good hi -res screen shots that can maybe survive cropping a bit better (like with Harem). Right now I do need to slide the text boxes down a bit though, for the sake of seeing the action. I realize that the recent MMF scene tends to get obscured by the text box and I'm working on that tonight to be released in 0.0.4. Again, trying to get that done as I feel really bad for the people who have to play the game in its current state, as the bandit chasers and their trapping of the PC basically make the Chambers unplayable.

FAILPROOF chambers escape: Hold shift and run straight down. Then dodge the other guards on your way out.

MOSTLY failproof chambers escape: Position yourself to get surrounded by bandits in such a way that you can get rid of two bandits to have a clear path. Don't get trapped by slave traders. Fuck your way out.

UNACCEPTABLE failproof chambers escape: Bite off dix left and right
Lucky777

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:55 am

Ah, yeap. Well... originally, those 'special scenes' were going to be the same character for every girl, but I decided against it. I really just wanted to put some of the more degrading characters to give a sense of tragedy.

[SPOILER]
Cedgar was one example where I was literally trying to think of the most repulsive type of male for Cesca. The guard thing was really just a lame excuse to give background as to what she does, but meh. He coulda been some homeless guy for all I cared.
Lanie's guy was supposed to give you the creepy-stalker vibe, his personality is actually modeled after some dork who used to treat one of my ex's with the same type of stalker-esque attitude (awkward, huh). I guess I was also trying to communicate how popular she is at school.
I felt it appropriate for Emilia's to be from the same unit to illustrate her high esteem even within it. This was definitely a 'crush.'
Rhiannon's of course was just to show that she generally doesn't lose any sleep over the people she ends up killing. Basically to show that she can be pretty callous / badass and doesn't cry herself to sleep at night because she offed a few folks. I'm not sure exactly what made him all possessive over her in the end but, I figured he was already partially insane from the losses he suffered.
Thyme's came naturally; I wanted to show that she ran her brothel with relative authority. The revenge bit, although a bit cliche, kind of came with the territory I suppose.
Since nobody knew Sairyn, or I imagine not a great amount of people in Elynsor, I wanted to choose a guy who was looking for a 'girl like her', and ended up with Rousseau, who has him some yellow fever... er, yellow-eyed fever.
Irine's was originally going to be a churchgoer or a member of the clergy, but a friend of mine convinced me to choose the latter, and to great effect.
And Asella's... well, I was just looking for a commoner who would try to put her up on a pedestal. If the writing seems kinda generic for this guy, it's because he was meant for Asella, Emilia AND Irine. I wrote all of these in just a few days, which was kind of a pain--if written in WordPad, for example, each story is at least 2 pages or so.
[/SPOILER]
EDIT: Wait, no spoiler tags enabled? Hmm...

But don't worry! There will be plenty more chances to show additional aspects of each character's personality. The first-time customers were definitely afterthoughts to the story, and besides one, probably will not make another appearance besides wandering around in the Chambers. So far I have about 3 NPC's planned whose presence actually means something to the storyline, and that's not counting the Princess.

LOL Lucky. After this upcoming patch you'll be able to fuck your way out with ease OR bite dix left and right, depending on the player's preferences.

Also, for people who haven't noticed, the bandits do not auto-engage you; you need to press a direction against them in order to trigger the battle / H-scene. So if you just stay in one place, you can enter the menu, recoup, use potions or healing skills outside of battle, and so on.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby AbysmalTears » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:27 am

Haha i love your comment Lucky XD.

but yeah i can see why it seemed like i was watching the same thing for some characters. Thank you for explaining that to me. As for Rhiannon i rather liked how possessive he got of her. It made me wonder if there is gonna be additional scenes with him later in the future. I certaintly wouldn't mind seeing each of the characters that appeared in the initial capture appearing again later to harass the heroine. (Besides Emilia of course....since hers died... x.x)
AbysmalTears

Postby FMC » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:53 am

Man, that was a lot to read since my last post. xD

I did notice that about the bandits, actually. And with Cesca, they're fairly easy to beat with just the potions you get naturally. One high potion after the initial scene, and you should only need one or two more throughout fighting your way out of the room.

When I saw you say the "Star Ocean of H-RPG," I thought, "If you can pull this off, you will be officially my number one favourite H-RPG maker guy." Mainly because that's a lofty goal, since I love the series.

Anyway, I think I still like Cesca the most by far. I dunno; I just like her personality. The Purity thing will be a big help, too, so we (or maybe just I) can tell how much more I need to get it down. And to the 0 purity ending... I guess it's an interesting idea. But don't you think raising it once it's so low would be difficult? Or if it's not, it should be.

About the milestone thing, I agree: just do it when you accomplished everything you set out to do, and make that 1.0. Also, for your game recomendations, I can vouch for Violated Heroine (VH), Grrl Power, Rape Quest, Hi no Tetsu no Beretsu and Nsphere. Nsphere's a bit weird, but I think some of you will like it. Grrl Power and Rape Quest are really good RPG maker games, both English, and Hi no Tetsu no Beretsu and VH are Japanese ones that I like, though finding out what to do in VH can be confusing (since it seems it goes kinda deep) and Hi no Tetsu no Beretsu is definitely one that I can't figure out past the first city, because all the bosses are really difficult. I think I have to level grind... but that makes it sound like a bad H-game. Dx However, *most* of the H-scenes (like, the really long ones), are on a seperate save file when you get it, so that's good if you just want the H-scenes. But you don't get all of them that way.

Anyway, back to your game... I think you *could* have picked a better guy for Cesca, but hearing most of them were throwaways makes me feel a little better. Hopefully, your real villian for Cesca is really thought out, since she has potential to have a really epic/funny bad-guy, or a combo of both, depending on how you play it.

Anyway, keep on doing what you do; you're good at it.

*EDIT*: Also, this was the first post you could see automatically when I post it, instead of possibly a few posts later. xD Yay!
FMC

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:42 am

Heheh, yeah--when I first played SO2 on PS1, I thought "wow, there's a lot of stuff going on in this game!" Now that I get just a glimpse into a little bit of what goes into development, I can't help but think of how many sleepless nights Star Ocean caused for not only the gamers, but the developers as well.

Good to know someone likes Cesca's character--I can't help but think that the whole androphobic thing was a big contributor to her apparent popularity.
I have some ideas for actually 'raising' Purity, which I will keep under wraps for now; I thought it would also be nice so that once the game actually gets long enough, people will be able to keep a high Purity score if desired without having the whole thing go to shit if they somehow lose.

Oh man, Nightmare Sphere was awesome. Very well-developed Castlevania-style game too and somewhat less of an H-game, but still good enough in all honesty. Can't wait for the second one, too.

Yay for the 10-post milestone!

In recent development, got the first of the two scenes done in the actual program for the most part. x___x; I seriously hope people don't mind if I try to limit the CG's in each H-scene to like... 4 at most, cause all in all that's like 32 CG's I gotta end up making for each scene, yeesh; and 40+ for ones that are 5 and up. This game tries to focus on concept/fetish and text more than visuals, really, so.
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

Postby Xanathar » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:18 am

Great game so far and I'm impressed the continued dedication and effort. With so many characters, I can't imagine making custom H scenes for each girl is an easy task.

Having dabbled with the old RPG Maker I can tell you that making a game like Star Ocean can be mind numbingly difficult. It took my friend and I a few months to get a satisfactory engine (he was the coder, I was the writer and tester) and the animation for special moves forced us to bring in additional talent. We got three map areas done out of a planned 150 before the site we were on dropped support for the old program in favor of the newest one. With the loss of support we were unable to finish. If we had just gone with the basic engine we probably would have completed it. It was fun seeing one of my creations slowly come to life though and my friend enjoyed learning more about game programing. Err where was I? ....Oh yeah doing a game like Star Ocean is hard!

Have you ever played Castle Fantasia 2: Seima Taisen(The Sacred War) or Utawarerumono? Easily two of the nest H games I've played. They are both Visual Novel style, but with tactical game play, a hybrid if you will.
Xanathar

Postby AbysmalTears » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:18 am

Rofl very nice description of each character. Actually i rather liked Rhiannon's scene along with the Priestess. I can imagine she would be a badass who doesn't stress over who she killed and why. As for the whole possessive thing. Idk it actually made the scene a little more interesting, made me think that he was actually gonna appear later on to harass her. Might be a good idea for a boss fight later if he shows up lol.

NSphere is actually a very nice H-game although the bosses are a pain to beat. :( i could never get very far in it.

Its fine with the CGs honestly as long as there's some kind of CG there i wouldn't care if you put one CG scene for each H-scene. (can't say for the rest of the forums though.. xD)

Honestly i haven't played Star Ocean but i am a serious Final Fantasy and Tales of Fan. So if your game is anything like either of these it would definately set an example for other aspiring RPG VX game makers
AbysmalTears

Postby Fakkufun7 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:20 pm

Opps! Double post. Sorry.
Last edited by Fakkufun7 on Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fakkufun7

Postby Fakkufun7 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:24 pm

Thanks to everyone who responded to my questions! I found several sites that allow non-artists to create their own sprites and character faces for RPG maker VX/XP. Here are the links for those interested...

Custom Sprite Creator (VX): http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... LQ_ENUS251
Custom Face Creator (XP): http://rpgmakertimes-companion.blogspot ... maker.html

However I'm still somewhat concerned over cut-scene implementation. Through research I found most people only use sprites during cut-scenes (most old JRPG's did), which clashes with my desires. My goal for sex based cut-scenes is to basically take my favorite HCG collections and place them in game to appear during specific events. Is that feasible (Technologically, not legally)?

Thanks again!
Fakkufun7

Postby KITAmaru » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Wow Xan, that really is a shame. It's unfortunate that there were a lot of compatibility issues from one version of RPG Maker to the next, indeed.

Honestly I have not played either of those, although I've had Utawarerumono recommended to me at one point. I'll prolly check it out when I've the time.
Tales of ________'s another series that I absolutely adore, to the point of where I was debating giving Emilia a special move from the series (probably Sword Rain or Demon Fang) just as a tribute, heh.

Fakku, thanks for the links--I've definitely put the custom sprite creator to use thus far. There's also Celianna's Face Maker, which basically takes eyes, mouths and noses from the original default portraits and allows you to franken-paste them together via Photoshop.

Er, well, seeing as I use screenshots from 3DCG during H-cutscenes, it's actually one of the most basic commands. You can have up to 20 images on screen at once moving around (for the sake of Resident Evil-style puzzles I'd imagine), rotating, doing whatever the hell you want. Only problem with using HCG sets is that the max resolution is 640x480, which in itself even requires a custom script such as the one found in my game, so you'd need to do some cropping if the desired image is particularly big. I remember a Flash choice game that basically just used a CG set from Words Worth--speaking of, kudos to those who found the WW reference in the Chambers!
Current project:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1583
Wiki:
KITAmaru

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner