[VX ACE] Conquest (complete game, but no cg yet)

The place to post non-Flash projects such as RPG maker games.
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.
When posting content, please consider including a screenshot to help users to see what a game is like.

[VX ACE] Conquest (complete game, but no cg yet)

Postby STR » Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:07 pm

The Game: Conquest

Download links:
- Game: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6b214 ... 292014.exe (05292014)
- RPG Maker VX Ace RTP: http://www.rpgmakerweb.com/download/run-time-package
(If you do not own RPG Maker VX Ace, you will need the RTP installed on your computer to play. It’s free and easy to install.)

Controls:
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Standard RPG maker stuff.
Alt+Enter for fullscreen.
Enter/space to select things/interract/advance text, etc.
Arrow keys to move on the map and inside the menus.
Escape to open/close the menus or to cancel a selection.
"A" inside inventory to organize it.

Some screens:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Current state of the game:
What’s done:
- Main story entirely playable.
- 8 heroines, 8 conquests, 3 optional dungeons.
- 4 different endings depending on your actions.
What’s not:
- No HCG yet. You’ll just be rewarded with a black screen.
- Lots of in-battle enemy appearances and the dialogue faces sets are placeholders.

What I am currently working on:
- Slowly, very slowly improving my horrible, horrible art skills.
- Creating goblins and dwarves sprites for more NPC variety.
- Balancing things as much as possible with the help of the player’s comments.
- Including whatever outside help I will receive.

A few random words about the game:

- Rather classic RPG maker game system, with a few particularities here and there.
- You have 3 types of units: the Overlord, your Orcs, and your Mistresses. Orcs can’t level by killing monsters and don’t have skills (for now), but to compensate, they’ll gain levels very quickly if you let them rape stuff, especially potential mistresses. Playing a full-orc game is basically easy mode. Mistresses follow a more standard pattern: they gain levels, better stats and skills through fighting like any other RPG character, but you will need to spare them (read: “not rape them”), talk with them a lot, and usually do some kind of sidequest to convince them to join your side. Lastly, the Overlord is a bit of a special case: he gains levels through experience like the mistresses but, not unlike his orcs, he can also gain new skills and/or permanent stat boosts through raping potential mistresses and side characters.
- There are four possible endings. One if you concentrated on taking mistresses. Another one if you had your overlord rape them all. Another one if you gave them all to your orcs. And the last one is a generic ending you’ll get if you choose different options from one potential mistress to another. Please note that what you do with secondary, non-mistress characters will not affect your ending (for exemple, you could play an overlord route game but still give every secondary character to your orcs so they can at least help you a little in battle.)
- The fighting system follows some kind of tank/support/dps trinity, though those roles are more often than not shared by multiple characters. Most of your character’s skills are intended to work with the rest of the party, so you’ll want to actually read the skills’ descriptions to make the most of them, especially early on (later on, if that’s your fetish, you’ll be able to grind exp in dungeons, overlevel to hell and just hammer the attack command until the end of the game... I didn’t find any satisfying way to prevent you from doing so without restraining your liberty of action.)
- Yes, the saving system was made that way intentionally, to force you to plan your moves ahead and to detrivialize the game over screen.
- The story is... there. As is the characterization. The background too, if you actually take the time to look for it. Whever they are any good, well... That’s not for me to judge.
- Balance might be a bit all over the place right now. Do not hesistate to tell me if things are too hard/too easy.
- Lastly, this is not a GOR. I like playing games, so to me, the idea of rewarding the player for loosing just feels... wrong. In Conquest, you will only ever get scenes through completing your objectives. So don’t bother trying to lose intentionaly.

Changelog:

Next version release: whenever I feel like I’ve added enough content to justify it.
Also, I have no idea if your saved game will be compatible from one versionn to the other. Just try and see.

05292014: Quickfix to remove game-breaking bug. Should be compatible with last two releases.
- Small change around abandoned mine so you can't get stranded away from your ship any-more.
- Abandoned mine ghost now gives a bit less xp. Wasn't intended to be farmable at all.
- Fixed the missing graphic problem in the goblin palace in mistress route that sent you back to desktop.

05262014:
- Should be compatible with saves from the 05202014 version.
- 4 new goblin girls sprites for a bit more variety.
- Redid Mu's sprite so her skin color matches.
- Added one animated sprite to the elven part of the Weed side-quest. That empty room was begging for it.
- Fixed the bug that let you fight Big Brother several times.
- Fixed the bug that let you access the Mistress Master tower scene without actually having recruited all eight mistresses.
- Simar's side event now complete and, hopefully, bug free.
- Added a side-location with a minigame. Will appear early in the game, just after the Market and Saint Zaulys.
- Fixed cloud helm and cloud armor armor types.
- Included some proofreading by DemonAtShort
- Included some proofreading by Commodus
- Redid the Disclaimer screen with Commodus' proofreading.
- May have fixed the equipment problem NGSimple and NG+. Please tell me if you still end up keeping stuff you shouldn't have.
- Updated credits.

05202014: Back with a big update.
- Demon Tower is now complete. Good luck.
- That means the last slaves are in.
- Menu will now open just before the dwarf king fight so you can heal your party.
- Added some extra lines to the point where the mistress route separates itself from the main story to be sure to put the point accross
to the player (Yulgoblund now litteraly says that there will be "no turning back".)
- Added tons of NPCs to liven up Saint Astha and Castletown.
- You can now organize your items alphabeticaly or numerically. Press "A" while inside the inventory.
- Your skills should now stay in the order you obtained them in the menu.
- Four new books in Saint Astha's Church, and one more in the knights' study. Also, depending on the route you are on, a party member or another may make some commentaries on some books.
- Applied Workdammit and Lucky777's proofreadings. Thanks again.
- Your orcs now automatically gain a special skill at some point in the overlord route.
- Changed the skill the overlord obtains from raping the barbarian.
- Raping the Elven Priestess as the Overlord now grants a special skill.
- Fixed the access in Gluk's sidequest. Now touching it is enough, no need to press enter.
- Fixed the ladder-pitchfork. ^^'
- Saint Astha's name now displayed correctly when entering the town post-conquest.
- No more jumping on some militiamen's heads in the battle for Saint Astha.
- New Game + is in. Untested, so tell me if that works.
- CG room. You can access it from your throne, and it will keep track of the CG you obtained from one game to the next when using NG+. Won't work cross-aves though.
- New optional party member. Only recruitable if you recruited neither Labryl nor Lysia. (Meaning he is mostly intended to add a bit more tactical options for the Overlord and Orc route players.)
- A couple of sidequests.
- Updated credits.
- Fixed a display error in the battle for Saint Astha. Thanks Lucky.
- Lots of little things and corrections I didn't take the time to write down.

08292013: Another quickfix.
- Fixed the islands. Again. Me feel really really dumb.
- Corrected a faceset error in a cutscene.
- I may have fixed the "distract them" skill. Just tell me if you feel an improvement or not on that matter.

08282013v2: A quick fix. Sorry about that mess.
- Tail Sweep attack power divided by 2.
- Added the "Greatest Cure" in the elven shop. 1200G, will rid the whole party of all afflictions.
- Great Cure and Greatest Cure will now get you rid of stun too.
- Dawn, Dusk, Starless Night. I hope.

08282013: Orc route well fleshed-out with four side-quests and a final reward, one new consumable, bug fixes, some more balancing on the late game.
- Removed the debugging tools.
- Added four side-quests specifics to the orc route. The first three ones will automatically start when you visit some particular locations while your orcs are level 14 or more (a level they'll reach in merely two conquests on full orc mode). The last quest involves a small dungeon as well as a boss, and you'll need to have both the control of Saint Astha and orcs level 30 or more to be able to start it. The first three quests rewards are skills, but you may not be able to obtain them if you are transferring a save from an earlier version, so you may want to start a new save to play the orc path. Sorry about that.
- Added the "Salvation" consumable in the elven shop. It costs 3000G, will always hit first and, when used, will bring back all dead allies to 100% life. So it's the kind of thing you'll want to bring with you in the Dwarven Mine and Saint Astha conquest, you know, "just in case you were unlucky towards the end". I mean, those are fairly long chapters without save, so I can perfectly understand how frustrating it can be to get beaten at the very last fight and to have to redo it all. Now you have a way to trump that if it were to happen... for a price.
- Added a barricade in the SE part of the goblin fortress invasion to prevent the player from getting stuck. (had forgotten to do that in the last release.)
- The chest at the bottom of the Hellhole now displays the right price. Also changed it's value from 25.000 to 20.000G.
- You shouldn't be able to fight the boss of the Hellhole twice anymore if you choose to save Alexia.
- The brave capitain can't use shield bash anymore to remove the risk of 3/4 of your team getting stunned in the same turn between him and the two knights, and his attack power was slightly nerfed.
- Shield Bash and Lightning Trusts are now tagged as physical attacks, so they can miss (thanks for pointing that out).
- Also, shield bash shouldn't hit first anymore, as that wasn't intended to begin with.
- Added some HPs to the dismounted Saint General, as I actually found that fight to be a bit on the weak side when testing it.
- Nerfed the Starless Night skill of the Duelist. It now hits twice less hard. Can still apply up to two conditions to your team members if you are unlucky though.

08242013:
- Slightly modified the path in the forest and the moving speed of the rabbit so you can't bypass it anymore.
- The forest mirror/rabbit part should now work properly... That one kinda annoys me, as I did test it beforehand, and now have the impression one of my events simply vanished from the game. That, or I'm getting senile.
- Added a second Hinkypunk to the groups of flying energy balls as they seemed a bit too easy to dispatch for my liking after testing things out.
- Elven archers rebuffed a bit.
- A chest with 5 collyres can now be found during the battle for Saint Zaulys.
- Alexia's "Forward! Follow me!" skill now costs 45 TPs.
- Quick and dirty nerf of some of the most ubber ennemies of the Dwarven Mine and Saint Astha. Mainly the dwarves bosses attack power and the Saint Astha's knight charge (tested with dwarven equipment: you should be able to survive the initial charge now if you order your whole team to guard on the first turn and then focus on healing back up, as the knights only charge you once. And, yes, this was intended to be a downhill battle, as you basically took a cavalry charge to the face.)
- Opened the first 3 levels of the Doom Tower. Should be envisageable roughly at the time where you manage to conquer the elven forest and start preparing for the dwarven mine.
- Fixed the shops access in the goblin fortress. Had to create a new tileset just for that so you don't also walk right through the stalls in the conquest part of the fortress or in the barbarian market.
- Fixed the dwarven princess' "Guarded Strike" skill. It shouldn't crash the game anymore.
- Fixed the mapping mistake in the hellhole. Thanks for pointing it out.
- Added a debugging tool in the master's quarters, on the shelf full of potions, for those of you who missed the last skill of some of their mistresses when going from the 22 to the 23 version. Please read the instructions before using it.

08232013: Balancing again, mainly.
- Big nerf on the tree guardians' defense and attack speed. They'll still hit relativelty hard and have 1500PVs, so use a tank.
- Now only Hinkypunks will strike before your team (they are the wind, single-target wisp). Will o Wisp and Ignis Fatuus (those aiming for the whole team) are now slow as hell. Also, rather than appearing in groups of three of their own kind, they'll now appear in mixed groups, so you are supposed to prioritize taking down the Will o Wisp and the Ignis Fatus on the first turn before getting to the Hinkypunk.
- Seriously nerfed the attack power of the elven archers. They'll still hit first though, but that should make for much less of a downhill battle.
- Slightly buffed the elven mage attack power, but they now strike last (casting time or something). So you'll probably want to make some choice between taking either them or the archers down first, knowing that the mage will always do a whole party attack on turn 3 and should definitely be put out of comission before that.
- Corrected a transfer error Ardelas found in the Dwarven Mine battle. Your name will be on the credits next time I redo them, good sir.
- Once you've conquered it, you'll now have a choice to get transfered directly to the elven village from the second forest map.
- Mu's Dirty Trick no longer gives TPs on completion.
- Mu's Trick Preparation now gives 25TPs rather than 15.
- Mu's Smoke and Mirrors now costs 15TPs rather than 25. (Didn't touch her attack power just yet, as she is supposed to be a support character, defending the team by blinding and confusing the ennemy. For exemple, I think a skill like Smoke and Mirrors should be godsent in the dwarven mines, where all ennemies are slow and have no special ability aside from "hitting hard and taking a beating".)
- Mistresses now gain their last skill on level 12 rather than 15, so that you have access to their full arsenal for a larger part of the game.
- Modified the world map so you can't end up stranded on an island anymore. Hope it doesn't look too ugly.

08222013: Mostly balancing. Also included the beginning of the orcs route.
- Replaced the casualy clothed orcs in the battle for Saint Zaulys by soldier ones.
- Added a pricey mana recovering potion in the inventory of the elven shop.
- Scaled down weapons and armors prices.
- Scaled up gold dropped by ennemies.
- Changed the loot of some chests.
- Nerfed magic users offensive capabilities. Tell me if that's too much/still not enough.
- Nerfed a bit the offensive strengh of the boss of the Hellhole. He'll still make a mess of your party if you didn't bring antidotes, collyres and courage drink with you though.
- Elves should now be squishier.
- Labryl now drops a Simple Axe uppon defeat. Let's just stay the other one broke during battle or something.
- Added three small scenes to introduce the orcs of your guard. Everyone will be able to see those at the beginning of the game, but the next ones will be dependant on your orcs level, and won't be displayed if you are not levelling them up.

08212013: First release

I need help!

First and foremost : why help me ?
Well, hopefully because you liked the game and want to contribute in making it better. On a more practical level, one of the reasons I decided to do most of the game on my own before throwing anything on the net was to show how serious I am about this project: I spent hundreds of hours working on it already. Alone. So, yeah: if you do decide to help me, I can assure you it will not go to waste. Oh, and any kind of substantial help will net you a place in the credits. I mean, come on, we are talking eternal glory here! They built empires on that stuff!

Then: what kind of help do I need?
- The art. My single biggest concern. My drawing skills are kindergarten level, I am not a rich man, and I don’t plan on taking random vaguely-looking-like-my-characters pics on the net. So I need awsome people with actual artistic skills to do the art for me. For free. More about that desperate case in the related spoiler.
- The texts. I’m fairly confident in my writing skills in my mother tongue. Sadly, said language isn’t english. So if your own english is good, you can help me by proof reading the in-game texts. More in the related spoiler.
- Bug hunting. Well, I already playtested the game quite extensively. But that does not mean it is perfect. So if anything... strange... happens to you while playing, simply noting how and where it happened and reporting it to me will help.
- Various other little things, from drawing medieval-looking maps to doing a bit of ruby coding... See the last spoiler.

Art:

As things stand now, I’d need at least 8 battlers, 8 facesets, and 80 HCGs for the game to be roughly complete. And that’s excluding the battlers I’ll need for some random ennemies like the green feather mercenaries or the dwarves or the mounted knights. And I don’t know how to draw. Or to render. And I’m dirt poor, so commissionning isn’t an option.

Obviously, I’d like for the art to be consistant accross the game. But then again, I doubt I’ll find someone willing to make the whole CG for free. So, in an ideal world, I’d find multiple volunteers each ready to make at least 1 battler, 1 faceset, and 10 HCGs, as that amount would cover 1 mistress/chapter of the game. But then again, I’m desesperate, so even if you only wish to do a single pic, do not hesitate to contact me.

As far as art style is concerned, anything goes for me. It’s really all about being able to make it consistant througout the game.

So, yeah... If you are able and willing to help, please contact me via private message. Just tell me how much you are willing to do, estimate how much time it would take you, and link me to some exemples of your work. We’ll start talking from there.

Texts

That one is rather straightforward. You read a passage of your choice pen in hand and take note of everything that don’t look right. Just two things:
- Don’t just tell me “that part isn’t right”. Tell me what isn’t right, and more importantly how you would correct it (keep in mind I’m not english, so an error might not look as obvious to me as you’d think).
- Don’t come here to point one error at the time. Not only will it not net you a place in the credits, it will also end up annoying me. I’m not asking you to proof-read the whole game, but at least do a complete scene.

Bug hunting

Do you really need an explanation on that one? ^^’ Tell me what happened and where it happened. The more details you give me, the more likely I am to single the problem out.

Various things

- There are three maps of the continent displayed alongside Yulgoblund’s explanations in the dark castle, and another one somewhere in Saint Asthia. Currently, those are just horribly scribbled print-screens. It would be quite nice if some awsome person was able to redo them to make them look more like medievalish maps. If you are willing to try, just send me a private message and I’ll send you a link to the originals. Oh, and, yeah: ideally, the maps should be 544x416 pixels (or easily resizeable to that format, like 1088x832).

- In the same vein, the 6 pictures used during the battle for Saint Astha are very schematic depictions of the tactical situation. If you think you could work on a more esthetically pleasing alternative, don’t hesitate to contact me by private message to explain what you have in mind.

- Same thing for the title screen. If you feel like you could do something better, contact me (but don’t start anything on your own: we wouldn’t want your work to go to waste).

- Lastly, I’m always open to read some constructive analysis regarding game balance, and will apply suggested changes if I find them pertinent. It will hold especially true during the next few weeks because, wihile I tested the game quite extensively while looking for bugs, the same can’t be said about balancing: it’s probably all over the place. So if something seems way too easy or too hard, just tell me (while precising which path you are following, if any). But that will not net you a spot in the credits. Sorry.
Last edited by STR on Thu May 29, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 12 times in total.
STR

Re: [VX ACE] Conquest (complete game, but no cg yet)

Postby STR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:03 am

And... I just realized that I kinda forgot civilities in the heat of the moment. :?

So : Hi everybody. Hope you are doing fine. ^^'

While I’m at it, I’d like to ad that I choose to show this game on the LoK forums first because that’s the only pervert den on the net I’ve ever frequented as anything else than a lurker (some of you may or may not remember my pathetic attempts at CS). And yes, I know it’s a rather stupid reason (I mean, there isn’t even any proper furry in that game) but, well... I’m a rather stupid person.

So, I’ll probably be looking to advertise my game on at least one other forum. Preferably the most populated one on the net, to maximise my chances of receiving some help. Any lead anyone? Maybe that Hongfire place I keep on stumbling uppon when looking for H-games?

And on a completly unrelated matter, ‘cause I forgot that too and it seems it's not too late:
If you wish to discuss the game’s story, please pretty please, use spoiler tags.
STR

Postby D4nt3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:57 am

Hehe i like it
Not many games when you can play as evil overlord
keep up the good work

I think that you should add save point befoe hard boss battles like snake king
Last edited by D4nt3 on Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D4nt3
Newly Registered

Postby SpectralTime » Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:01 pm

I am following the Mistress Path, and have thus far not upgraded my orcs, assuming that I will simply phase them out once I get the girls for their roles. (Incidentally, I hope I get a tanky mistress sooner rather than later.)

Up until the end of the Goblin Fortress, I would have considered the game like the Overlord himself. Harsh, but fair. Tons of poison? Well, there're antidotes, and they're cheaper than normal. Wanna seduce that nice lady with the eyepatch? See if you can forego new weapons long enough to grind up 10,000 gold! Etc.

But, at the exact point when I had to fight the Goblin King, everything went bonkers. The king himself was at least injurable, but he was also slinging Blind for the first and last time I've ever seen an enemy do so in the game, and since he comes at the end of a long dungeon and since Blind is much nastier than the Lich's Poison, I may have had to begin again. Furthermore, his "playing dirty" attack was a one-hit-k.o. on literally every party member, and though a raging, ATK-boosted Labrys could reliably screw him up something fierce - she had to hit through the Blind. I got lucky twice, as she was the last one alive and her blind faded just in time to nail him with a killing blow.

Hey, I thought. He's a boss, of course he's a little tough.

Afterward, I found that every enemy in the elves' woods was completely immune to damage dealt by anyone other than Labrys and maybe Mu, and the forest creatures could reliably one-shot any given party member right through guard and defensive enhancement. The Will-o'-the-wisps can do it to multiple people at once. Dwarf tunnels aren't much better, their power attacks also tear through health and guards, and only Labrys can reliably inflict damage.

Now, I admit that part of the problem is the outmoded equipment most of the party is using due to having to save up and recruit Lysia, but I don't think it's THAT much of the problem. Sooner or later I may grind more in the Hellhole until everyone's got goblin equipment (except Labrys, who has that Dwarf Axe from the treasure chest), but I hate grinding. Can't even hack the game for money, as my usual save editor isn't working.

I recall the imp directing me towards the woods after the fortress, though, and I'll at least state authoritatively that the enemies there need a comprehensive set of nerfs. They're too tough (can't even TALK about HP for the DEF) and they hit too hard, many of them targeting MDF, which armor doesn't buff and is thus reliably independent of the money issue.

On a side note, I was enjoying the game a lot before I hit the sudden difficulty spike. The orcs have a lot of charm (both kinds) and what little characterization the Overlord gets does a decent job of making him likable. Though I did feel a little bad about killing the first dungeon boss... And I liked wandering through the conquered cities shooting the breeze with the populace, like a very chill and relaxed iron-plated warlord.

That goblin hero was a pretty cool guy too. Hope I see him again.

Wish money were more plentiful or items cheaper though. Goblin equipment is both vital and expensive, yet it costs two hundred times as much as the starting equipment. I don't know how much money I'm *supposed* to be making, but it's sure not that! I tried picking up the chests full of jewels in the previous goblin king's place, is that not the right choice?

On a side note, I hate finding money in chests in RPGs. The game *always* stiffs you. Case in point: finding the Dwarven Axe on the first level of the Hellhole? Sweet, a useful, powerful item! Finding a (presumably) tiny, tiny fraction of its monetary value in the (theoretically more valuable) second level chest? Would have been real disappointing if I weren't desperate for cash to hire Lysia. I will say what I say whenever I comment on a homemade JRPG: either drastically crank up the gold value of each chest, or phase them out completely. No one likes getting short-changed for assuming the risk of going off the beaten path after treasure. It turns an exercise in risk-assessment into a gamble.

EDIT: Added spoiler tags. Wasn't sure what did or didn't constitute a "story spoiler," so I sorta just tagged everything I could think of. Sorry...
SpectralTime

Postby STR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:58 pm

Thank you for you detailed comment, SpectralTime. Like I said in the opening post, I'm very conscious that balance isn't what it should or could be for now, and player feedbacks will help me a lot in making it right for the next release. Still, I apologize about the frustrating experiences you might have encountered but, well... this is the very first release.

I am following the Mistress Path, and have thus far not upgraded my orcs, assuming that I will simply phase them out once I get the girls for their roles. (Incidentally, I hope I get a tanky mistress sooner rather than later.)

If you don't mind being spoiled a bit:

There is one at the bottom of the Hellhole, and one in the dwarven city-mine. The one in the hellhole is supposed to be the easier to get, but you will still need goblin level equipment and a good stock of healing stuff to make it all the way down and beat the boss.

Up until the end of the Goblin Fortress, I would have considered the game like the Overlord himself. Harsh, but fair. Tons of poison? Well, there're antidotes, and they're cheaper than normal. Wanna seduce that nice lady with the eyepatch? See if you can forego new weapons long enough to grind up 10,000 gold! Etc.

But, at the exact point when I had to fight the Goblin King, everything went bonkers. The king himself was at least injurable, but he was also slinging Blind for the first and last time I've ever seen an enemy do so in the game, and since he comes at the end of a long dungeon and since Blind is much nastier than the Lich's Poison, I may have had to begin again. Furthermore, his "playing dirty" attack was a one-hit-k.o. on literally every party member, and though a raging, ATK-boosted Labrys could reliably screw him up something fierce - she had to hit through the Blind. I got lucky twice, as she was the last one alive and her blind faded just in time to nail him with a killing blow.

Hey, I thought. He's a boss, of course he's a little tough.

If you are playing the mistress path, the goblin king should actually

be at the very end of a rather short underground path through which Mu guided you. Or did you not realise she was a potential mistress? That would be problematic.

As for that blind problem, well, there is collyre for sale in Saint Zaulys' utility shop, and it wasn't put there for nothing. I kinda expected the player to at least buy a few before continuing (I mean, to continue on your exemple, the fight would have been way easier if you had some collyre to cure Labryl each time she got blinded, right?). The part about "playing dirty" one-shooting your party members certainly isn't normal though, as is the fact that nobody except Labryl could really arm him, as he is intended to be the strike-hard, apply condition but bad defenses boss type. What was your equipment like at the time? Orcish level, or Saint Zaulys level?

Afterward, I found that every enemy in the elves' woods was completely immune to damage dealt by anyone other than Labrys and maybe Mu, and the forest creatures could reliably one-shot any given party member right through guard and defensive enhancement. The Will-o'-the-wisps can do it to multiple people at once. Dwarf tunnels aren't much better, their power attacks also tear through health and guards, and only Labrys can reliably inflict damage.

Now, I admit that part of the problem is the outmoded equipment most of the party is using due to having to save up and recruit Lysia, but I don't think it's THAT much of the problem. Sooner or later I may grind more in the Hellhole until everyone's got goblin equipment (except Labrys, who has that Dwarf Axe from the treasure chest), but I hate grinding. Can't even hack the game for money, as my usual save editor isn't working.

I recall the imp directing me towards the woods after the fortress, though, and I'll at least state authoritatively that the enemies there need a comprehensive set of nerfs. They're too tough (can't even TALK about HP for the DEF) and they hit too hard, many of them targeting MDF, which armor doesn't buff and is thus reliably independent of the money issue.

Actually, those little flying energy balls are supposed to hit you very hard, but also to be downed in one strike (they only have 150HPs, if I recall correctly). In the background of that particular universe, magic is a very rare thing, one only elves, demons, and a few exceptional beings can use. That's why I wanted it to hit hard, but compensate by making the casters frail. Apparently though, I got way too heavy-handed. I'll try and get that right as soon as possible.

On a side note, I was enjoying the game a lot before I hit the sudden difficulty spike. The orcs have a lot of charm (both kinds) and what little characterization the Overlord gets does a decent job of making him likable. Though I did feel a little bad about killing the Lich King... And I liked wandering through the conquered cities shooting the breeze with the populace, like a very chill and relaxed iron-plated warlord.

That goblin hero was a pretty cool guy too. Hope I see him again.

Well, he

gave you the sword, right? So of course if you find someone who can use it, it would be so very nice of you to go present htem to him. :)

Wish money were more plentiful or items cheaper though. Goblin equipment is both vital and expensive, yet it costs two hundred times as much as the starting equipment. I don't know how much money I'm *supposed* to be making, but it's sure not that! I tried picking up the chests full of jewels in the previous goblin king's place, is that not the right choice?

The more I read your post, the more I get the feeling that lack of funds is playing a huge part in that sudden difficulty spike. You don't have enough money to buy equipment, and that kinda slows down everything else. Though I suppose if you postponned recruiting Lysia a bit... But then again, without her you'd have to use the orcs you obviously didn't level up on that path. So, yeah. I'll either put more money in the game, or change the scalling of the weapon prices.

On a side note, I hate finding money in chests in RPGs. The game *always* stiffs you. Case in point: finding the Dwarven Axe on the first level of the Hellhole? Sweet, a useful, powerful item! Finding a (presumably) tiny, tiny fraction of its monetary value in the (theoretically more valuable) second level chest? Would have been real disappointing if I weren't desperate for cash to hire Lysia. I will say what I say whenever I comment on a homemade JRPG: either drastically crank up the gold value of each chest, or phase them out completely. No one likes getting short-changed for assuming the risk of going off the beaten path after treasure. It turns an exercise in risk-assessment into a gamble.

You... certainly are making a point here. Thank you.
STR

Postby moonblack » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Question: Why does Labryl start with no equipment? Where are her "twin axes"?
moonblack

Postby D4nt3 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:39 pm

moonblack Wrote:Question: Why does Labryl start with no equipment? Where are her "twin axes"?

I think that is bug cuz when u get Mu, she has armour but no weapons
D4nt3
Newly Registered

Postby STR » Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:42 pm

About to edit the first post to add a new version. Mostly balancing, but also includded the first scenes concerning your orc guard.
And yes, Labryl now drops an axe uppon defeat. ^^' See the changelog for details.

Will also include some printscreens in the opening post.
STR

Postby SpectralTime » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:44 pm

STR Wrote:Thank you for you detailed comment, SpectralTime. Like I said in the opening post, I'm very conscious that balance isn't what it should or could be for now, and player feedbacks will help me a lot in making it right for the next release. Still, I apologize about the frustrating experiences you might have encountered but, well... this is the very first release.

Eh, frustrating's the wrong word. I knew this was a first release, and I read that you were expecting balance problems. I knew what I signed on for! :lol:

There is one at the bottom of the Hellhole, and one in the dwarven city-mine. The one in the hellhole is supposed to be the easier to get, but you will still need goblin level equipment and a good stock of healing stuff to make it all the way down and beat the boss.

Didn't expect there to be one in the Hellhole... well, I *was* having an easier time there than anywhere else.

If you are playing the mistress path, the goblin king should actually

be at the very end of a rather short underground path through which Mu guided you. Or did you not realise she was a potential mistress? That would be problematic.

Don't worry, I did. It *was* short, but it was also full of enemies with poison and relatively-high-damage attacks, and I wasn't adequately prepared. Upon reflection... fair enough. :)

As for that blind problem, well, there is collyre for sale in Saint Zaulys' utility shop, and it wasn't put there for nothing. I kinda expected the player to at least buy a few before continuing (I mean, to continue on your exemple, the fight would have been way easier if you had some collyre to cure Labryl each time she got blinded, right?). The part about "playing dirty" one-shooting your party members certainly isn't normal though, as is the fact that nobody except Labryl could really arm him, as he is intended to be the strike-hard, apply condition but bad defenses boss type. What was your equipment like at the time? Orcish level, or Saint Zaulys level?

The Overlord himself had a Barbarian Sword, and it did decent damage when boosted, but he was mostly occupied with throwing out heals and buffs and things. Crossbow-Orc did passable damage too with his Orc weapon, but he got one-shoted right off the bat, since I had the poor luck to start with too few TP to put that "Distraction!" command on Beef Orc, whose weapon *was* completely ineffective. Armor-wise, Beef Orc had the Crown and Tower Shield but only Orc Armor, and Labryl had the Ring.

It would have been, I will admit, a much easier fight if I had Collyre and the party members free to use them. And, hey, I *did* win on my first try while woefully unprepared, so fair enough. If that "playing dirty" bit hadn't been quite so devastating, I'd probably have done even better. Upon reflection, I decided my original assessment was unfair and modified it, though I guess you posted before I changed that and the mods just didn't approve it for a while...

Actually, those little flying energy balls are supposed to hit you very hard, but also to be downed in one strike (they only have 150HPs, if I recall correctly). In the background of that particular universe, magic is a very rare thing, one only elves, demons, and a few exceptional beings can use. That's why I wanted it to hit hard, but compensate by making the casters frail. Apparently though, I got way too heavy-handed. I'll try and get that right as soon as possible.

Hmm... I recall doing just *under* 150 damage with Labryl, and about 100 with Mu, Mu using human/goblin weapons and Labryl human/dwarf. And it's not so much that they one-shot everyone as two-shot everyone, and they come in packs of three, *and* they all go at once before half the party. It's devastating. First Water kills Mu and knocks everyone else down to yellow except Beef Orc, second kills everyone except *sometimes* Beef Orc, third just kills him too.

Might have been more fair if they were slower and had less defense. Also, again, Tree Guardian is *worse*. It's Skewer attack hits for well over 1000 HP on a well-armored party member using guard, and its defenses ensure that the most damage that gets done to it is about two-hundred from Labryl, unbuffed.

Well, he

gave you the sword, right? So of course if you find someone who can use it, it would be so very nice of you to go present htem to him. :)

I pretty much figured. :lol: Something to look forward to.

The more I read your post, the more I get the feeling that lack of funds is playing a huge part in that sudden difficulty spike. You don't have enough money to buy equipment, and that kinda slows down everything else. Though I suppose if you postponned recruiting Lysia a bit... But then again, without her you'd have to use the orcs you obviously didn't level up on that path. So, yeah. I'll either put more money in the game, or change the scalling of the weapon prices.

I'd change the scaling, honestly. It's *not* just that I'm saving up for Lysia, as the ten-thousand gold I saved up wouldn't even be enough to have fully kitted everyone out in goblin-level arms and armor (though it *would* admittedly make a bit of a dent). If they were cheaper, I wouldn't feel like buying stuff in one place is a bad idea either, since, hey, the *dwarf* stuff is probably right around the corner and probably even *more* expensive.

You... certainly are making a point here. Thank you.

Oh, be fair! I'm just ranting about a pet peeve, not helping! :lol: Thanks anyway for responding. Looking forward to this game when it's finished, it looks like a keeper!

On a side note, reading that Labryl was supposed to drop an axe, I should note that *none* of the girls except for the Goblin King, who drops a knife for Mu, drop their starting equipment if you fight them so far.
SpectralTime

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:08 am

Well, just to start things OFF on the right foot, you've made a pretty fatal error in the design of the island on which the Lich king's tower is located.

If one approaches the tower from the north, east or west, one can never board one's boat again, because leaving the tower forces one south, and the tower is in the way.

Expanding the island on all sides so that the tower doesn't take up the entire width of the landmass would be a good idea.

Also you can't RUN when not in battle, in the barbarian Market.

Yeah... on the bright side though, the game's concept is pretty fun, and I love the humour.
Lucky777

Postby STR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:18 am

SpectralTime:
Yeah, as a rule, you should have a fair stock of various healing items before starting a conquest. The first two are kinda short, as is the goblin fortress if you accept Mu's offer, but the rest gets longer and longer as you progress. So it's really all about being prepared for anything.

Also, I did look into that "dirty trick" skill of the goblin chieftain, but it's exactly the same as the one Mu has: damages of a standard attack, with 50% chances of blinding the ennemy as a bonus. So it really shouldn't be that terrible. I also did a mistress playthrough up to the elven forest just after your first post to see for myself, and while I certainly got trashed silly by will-o-wisps and his pals, I did not have any particular problem with the chieftain.

Lastly, you keep on talking about a "dwarven axe" you found for Labryl in the first level of the Hellhole... Are you sure it's not goblin? (It's minor, but it kinda bugs me as it should be goblin, and I hate it when I stumble uppon disprecianties I don't understand. Especially in my works. And I probably just butchered the spelling of that disprethingie word too, I know. Sorry.)

Lucky777:
If I said I knew about the islands problem already, would that make things better, or worse? :roll:
I realised it a few weeks before release, but then went all "Well, they'll obviously realise I put that patch of ground below the building so they can land on it, right? I mean, nobody would try landing a ship directly on the building, right? That's just counterintuitive, right? I don't have to redo the damn map, right?"... So... You landed on it? Others landed on it too? I have to modify the map after all? *sigh* I liked the look of those tiny islands, too... (yeah, 'cause there are three of them in this case, to make things better.) Well... I suppose that'll get modified on the next release. Thanks for forcing me to face the facts. :?

On a positive note, the no-running during conquests is perfectly intended. To give off a bit of a dramatic feel and to prevent the player from just bypassing his ennemies. Though if it turns out people just really don't like it, I can easily change it. It's just a few boxes to uncheck.

And I'm glad the humor is working for someone, as I really wasn't all that confident about that part.

Edit: And after 3 years, my account is finally no longer "newly registered"! I'm either awsome, or a terrible human being.
STR

Postby Ardelas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:40 am

Hellhole boss was a pretty epic fight.

Barely had a few pieces of goblin equips and was fairly low on healing items but I managed pretty well since I had a stockpile of Collyre from when I saw it.
Ardelas

Postby Lucky777 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 am

Your English is definitely not bad for a non-native speaker.
I don't think I could give a similarly acceptable performance in Spanish or French (though I won't guarantee my incompetence.)
Anyway, on the subject of English:

By "Discrepthingie" I'm assuming you mean discrepancies.

A note for general application throughout the text segments in the game: Any time you have the word "fow" used to mean "enemy or adversary", you want to say "foe".

I haven't gotten through the Goblin dungeon as yet, and I might not do so, since my interest is essentially exhausted for the time being, but thus far, balance seems fine.
Doesn't mean too much, since I'm talking about the portion of the game that was "fine" according to all reports from everyone, but ... welp.
Hell, additionally, I'm going the route of "all heroines for the orcs, all side-chicks for the Overlord", so I'm ALSO on what you described as easymode, or something very like it.
But still, regardless:
For what (nothing) it's worth, "UP TO WHERE I HAVE REACHED, BEFORE THE GOBLIN FORTRESS, BALANCE IS TOTALLY FINE : D "

It's a shame you can't skewer the impertinent old bag in the church though, what kind of pacifist "warmongering murderous overlord" are you anyway?
PFFT.
Anyway, I think that's it from me unless I happen to play any more of the game.

I'd say it seems like a pretty tolerable effort on your part.

Since the H won't feature either animation or extensive descriptive text, as far as I know, I guess the game'll stay within that general range even after the scenes are done.
"Tolerable" is most certainly better quality than "bad", though.
So good luck.
Lucky777

Postby SpectralTime » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:53 am

Playing the new version now. Will comment on differences.

Ooo! Early one with that orc in the store! Heh, sentient hallucinations.

Hmmm... interesting to know *Bluk* was the one who was green. I couldn't always tell from the save menu. Also, I like hearing a little more about the dudes on my team.

Didn't know the bear would explain the weapon differences until right now...

Quick note! As it stands, it is possible to break the game by trying to enter the lich's tower directly from the ship, parking the vessel in an unreachable spot and stranding the poor Overlord on the tiny island until he reloads a save.

Noticing extra money and equipment in the Lich's Tower (which climbs *under* the ground...). I appreciate it! :)

I see Lysia's crossbow's in here too. Good.

...I also see you've taken my comments on treasure chests to heart. I'm happy about that, though, so...

Fought the Goblin King, this time prepared with the right stuff. First time he worked me. Second time I killed him in two hits. :) At least you're right, and the walk was pretty short. Shorter than I remember.

Should note that I am *really* enjoying Lysia's "date" scene, even though it's not new, because I forgot to do so last time. I think I remember you saying that later versions would add more mistress interactions, and I can't say that getting a bit more of the girls' personalities wouldn't be a good thing in my book, since they're all pretty cool so far.

Tree Guardians are still basically everthing-proof (except Lysia and Labryl, and Lysia can barely scratch them) but between the ability to blind them and the somewhat reduced damage on pierce, they're a LITTLE more manageable. Still feel like much more like bosses than basic encounters, reinforced by the fact that I don't think you can run from them...

Will O' the Wisps are MUCH better. Still difficult, since they go first and hit everyone at once, but weak enough that their attacks don't kill weak members in one hit and strong ones in two.

See, Floating Eyes are *fair*. Sure, they'll instagib someone if you let them, but they drop in one or two swings, are slow enough that you get to preemptively stop them, and don't hunt in packs of their own kind.

Tired. Gonna sleep for the night. Good luck, STR.
SpectralTime

Postby AllenAndArth » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:16 am

too much grinding... you can cheat using the overlord healing skill, but, far too much grinding...and you take too much damage from EVERY enemy, sorry, your game doesn't suite my taste, it's still a good game though
AllenAndArth

Postby Ardelas » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:30 am

Got a little hiccup in the mines. Once you take the path to get around there lines if you go back after the two rooms with doors it acts like you've won the battle already.
Ardelas

Postby SpectralTime » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:38 pm

I am going to complain about Tree Guardians some more. Note that everyone in the party is in Goblin equipment or better.

Only Labrys can hurt them to any meaningful degree, because their defense is far too high.

Only Lysia can take more than one or two attacks to any meaningful degree, because their attack is far too high.

And, just to rub salt in the wound, they're so much faster than you that tactics are meaningless since there is nothing anyone in the party can stop them from using Impale on the only person who can hurt it on turn one and leaving you scrambling to make up for lost time.

Impale is utter b.s., either outright killing or leaving in the yellow anyone it hits, and the creature seems to use it at-will. Then it poisons you, just to rub salt in the wound.

You can't run from them, because the *entire* forest is coded as a boss fight for some reason.

You'll encounter a ton, because there are places where the encounter rate is sky-high, and the very fact that the forest is a titanic maze can and will force you to start from the beginning over and over.

And the only way you'll ever beat one in a straight fight is if Mu manages to use a Dirty Trick to Blind it. Also, Dirty Trick will *never* deal any damage because attack power is for boss goblins, apparently.

Will O' the Wisps and their elemental kin went from deadly to managably difficult post-nerf. The Tree Guardian went from "unmanagable engine of destruction" to "fighting a sub-boss as a random encounter every few feet." They're still better than they *were*, since they can be beaten now, but it feels luck-based and completely out of the player's hands.

On a side note, I'd either buff knives across the board or give Mu a lot more juice. I know they're *supposed* to be low-damage, high-crit weapons, but Mu's pathetic combined base power + strength ensures that more often than not they never deal any damage, even against regular enemies, let alone bosses, and they don't noticeably crit any more often than other weapons in my experience. Even when they do, the base power is so low that they frequently deal less damage on a crit than other weapons on a basic attack!

Either they or Mu are just too weak to ever hurt anyone, though I freely admit I can't tell which. I swear, that girl would be useless if Blind wasn't so powerful and useful. As it stands, her entire strategy is doing the same thing every round, dealing no damage and gambling for Blind. Speaking of which (and not that I'm complaining because it's saved my bacon!) Dirty Trick is coded as a normal attack, so it replenishes the TP used to activate it. This makes the already innumerable disadvantages of Preparation comprehensively never worth it, since a single normal attack regenerates enough TP to use Dirty Trick indefinately, and the TP is only lost if Mu misses, which (in the one time the supposed advantages of knives works for her) is seldom.

Finally got to the killer rabbit. At least I took no chances and ran for it, and have seen the requisite Monty Python movie to know the butler wasn't kidding! Unfortunately, I now have to start over, because, in my haste to find a way past the creature, I let it pin me between it and a tree.

...Just as I was thinking, "Great! A straight up archer/fighter fight!" everyone went before I had a chance to and the archer used a multi-hit move that one-shotted the Overlord and left poor Labrys torn and bleeding. Completely ignoring my newly-minted tanky companion, of course, and all happening before the Overlord could put Distraction on her. These forest fights wouldn't be quite as tough if everyone you fight weren't so freakishly fast. I appreciate that it's thematically appropriate, but it still sucks to fight.

Alexia is a godsend. This is the second fight where everyone else is dead and she's having to finish off the enemy on her own.

Whelp, that's my last stimulant. I see what you're trying to do with the elf archers (unlike that frikken' Tree Guardian, they actually *are* fragile and easy to kill), but they're just too powerful for their speed. Unlike most "damage" enemies, who you counter by killing before they kill you, you can't stop them from tearing you up.

Now, these *mages* on the other hand, might could use (and I can't believe I'm saying this) a bit of a damage buff. That said... hmmm... Maybe don't *nerf* the archer, just reduce the number you have to fight. One's nasty, two can, with lucky hit allocation on Rapid Fire, kill multiple party members with ease before there is literally anything you can do about it. Meanwhile, give the tougher-but-weaker mages two members per encounter, letting their comparatively-weaker magic do its work.

I hope this mage-archer-fighter fight is the last, because every party member but the Overlord and two random orcs is now dead.

*Whew!* beat the boss with a lucky crit with just the Overlord and Bluk the shield-bearer. Good thing her damage wasn't as crazy as those archers.

...So, to get to the village I already conquered, I have to walk back through the forest of random encounters that move too fast and hit too hard with the ability to Run still turned off. Might wanna fix that.

Okay, that bow lecture was pretty funny. Almost makes up for how kinda boring the elf city is, since no one can talk Common.

Finished the priestess side quest. Think I'll take a break for now. That dwarf thingummy's going to take a lot of time and money, and I'll need to scrounge up the latter... in the woods. *sigh*

Good job anyway. It may have been hard, but it was doable, and I appreciate hard but doable.
SpectralTime

Postby STR » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:42 pm

Will edit the first post with a new version of the game very soon.
And I will try and keep on releasing new versions regularly until everything looks roughly well-balanced.
Then I'll space them out when I get to start adding actual content.

Lucky 777:
Thank you for the comments, and the spelling lesson. That "fow" thing certainly does seem to be all over the place. :oops:
It'll take some time to get rid of all of it, but I'm getting to it right now.

Ardelas:
And we've got a winner! Yeah, that one definitely falls under what I was talking about in my "bug hunting" section. Thank you.

AllenAndArth:
I would be quite interested if you could explain me what you mean by cheating with the Overlord healing skill. Is there a way to abuse that one? (I intended for the "distract them" skill to be his most important one, while the "keep fighting" is just supposed to be an handy alternative to an healing item if you've got a turn to spare on it, so that definitely wouldn't be normal.)

SpectralTime:
Don't worry, I love it when people complain. :)

I'll never be able to repeat it enough, but having someone willing to suffer through a poorly balanced game and give me extended and argumented rants about what exactly makes it that way really is speading the balancing process a lot.

About the killer rabbit... are you saying you just... bypassed it? I mean, that shouldn't even be possible, as what you are supposed to do is simply, truly run away from the map and into the magical mirror you've got to break to make it go away. And if the game isn't explicit enough on that point, then I'll have to make Yulgoblund urge you to run even more or something...

About the elven language:

Well, yeah, having them spout words in Quenya seemed like a fun idea at the time. ^^'

About grinding money:

I daresay the Hellhole may be a better choice than the forest for that. Ennemies aren't as strong there, and after the 22 version, they should be dropping a very respectable amount.

About Mu:
See the changelog. She was never really intended to be a damage dealer (you've already got Labryl in the extreme-attack low defense type, and Lysia on a more balanced stance.) Made some changes to enphasize that.

Lastly:
...So, to get to the village I already conquered, I have to walk back through the forest of random encounters that move too fast and hit too hard with the ability to Run still turned off. Might wanna fix that.

I added a way to jump directly to the elven village from the second forest map.
What's really not normal though is that you can't run. I mean, even during the conquest, you are supposed to be able to run in the forest itself, only being restricted to walking in the elven village. So can you confirm you really can't run in the woods anymore? And if the answer is yes, could you try going somewhere else and tell me if you can run there? Thank you in advance.
Edit: Ok, I just understood you were talking about the ability to run away from them. This isn't something I actually turn on and off depending on the ennemy, but it is heavily influenced by the ennemy's speed, which is why you couldn't succeed in running away from them as they were really, really fast. As I completely removed that trait in the 23 version to make them a bit more bearable, you should now be able to run away from them easily.
STR

Postby SpectralTime » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:30 pm

STR Wrote:

About the killer rabbit... are you saying you just... bypassed it? I mean, that shouldn't even be possible, as what you are supposed to do is simply, truly run away from the map and into the magical mirror you've got to break to make it go away. And if the game isn't explicit enough on that point, then I'll have to make Yulgoblund urge you to run even more or something...

Didn't find a magic mirror after running into the lower area, and I examined everything I could think of. I'll explain what I *did* do. You know that the area with the rabbit is pretty tightly arranged so that there's only one path, like a bunch of "+" signs in a row? There's ONE area, towards the bottom, where a 2 X 2 square of passable terrain is located. If you lure the rabbit down there, it won't chase you onto the terrain, but you can wait for it to step aside and then run past it.

About the elven language:

Well, yeah, having them spout words in Quenya seemed like a fun idea at the time. ^^'

Oh, don't get me wrong! It *was* fun, though I'm hardly fluent. But they don't even do that in their village, just stare sullenly at you and plod.

About grinding money:

I daresay the Hellhole may be a better choice than the forest for that. Ennemies aren't as strong there, and after the 22 version, they should be dropping a very respectable amount.

I'd agree with that statement, I guess. I *do* resent having to carry a pile of antidotes, but I probably missed some treasure too. Might not be a bad idea, when I can play again. And I'd just like to say that I *did* notice and appreciate that.

About Mu:
See the changelog. She was never really intended to be a damage dealer (you've already got Labryl in the extreme-attack low defense type, and Lysia on a more balanced stance.) Made some changes to enphasize that.

Dang... Didn't know she got a skill at level 15. Unfortunately, she's level *13* now, so I'll almost certainly just have to tough it out til she gets there... Or start over from square... not one! I have at least *one* prior save!

...Though I'll probably have to do the Hellhole again...

If her primary purpose is status effects and support, maybe give her more skills? Nah, that'd be a pain in the butt to balance. Making her get it earlier is probably the right move.

Lastly:

I added a way to jump directly to the elven village from the second forest map.
What's really not normal though is that you can't run. I mean, even during the conquest, you are supposed to be able to run in the forest itself, only being restricted to walking in the elven village. So can you confirm you really can't run in the woods anymore? And if the answer is yes, could you try going somewhere else and tell me if you can run there? Thank you in advance.
Edit: Ok, I just understood you were talking about the ability to run away from them. This isn't something I actually turn on and off depending on the ennemy, but it is heavily influenced by the ennemy's speed, which is why you couldn't succeed in running away from them as they were really, really fast. As I completely removed that trait in the 23 version to make them a bit more bearable, you should now be able to run away from them easily.

I love you so much man. So much.

Not sure if making will o' wisps and igni quite so slow was the right move, but whatever. I figured they were in a good place, it was just the crazy Tree Guardians distorting things in their favor, since they were better at cleanup than killing outright.
SpectralTime

Postby moonblack » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:56 pm

I gave this game a try (the versions from the 21st and 22nd), and made it to the Goblin King before giving up. Some comments:
- I chose to spare the potential mistresses and to keep the other girls to myself, so my orcs are stuck at level 1. This may be the cause of all my problems below
- ALL characters have 100% chance to get targeted – even characters that are not supposed to be melee/front row oriented. That means if you get unlucky the enemies can target your character with the lowest HP and kill him/her, making the rest of the fight a lot more difficult
- There’s no reliable healer (at least in the early parts of the game), and that’s extremely annoying. Normally you want to end a battle as quickly as possible. Here, however, you often want the opposite: prolong the battle by not killing a low-damage enemy so that you can fully heal your party
- The Saint Zaulys Battle: So after winning the first battle I decide to explore that hut, since usually you get rewarded for exploring. Well, not here. Entering the hut results in a battle with a crazy old man that has insanely high Agility and Attack, and so is very likely to knock out one of my characters unless I guard and get lucky. It’s extremely annoying because there’s absolutely no warning that a dangerous enemy is waiting inside and there’s no chance to flee. And since the guy dies from a single hit it’s impossible to heal, too
- The Saint Zaulys Battle: The whole thing is a bit too luck-based for my liking, especially the last battle. Triple Shot hits three randomly-selected targets – and so if you’re sufficiently unlucky the same character can get hit three times or your two low-HP characters can get hit and killed
- The goblin fortress: I decided to be nice and trust the goblin girl. Everything went fine until I got to the Goblin King. What the… He can kill any of my characters with 2 hits, and he blinds the whole party starting with round 2. Until then there have been no enemies with status effects other than poison. There are also no free Collyres, unlike the free Antidotes to hint that you might need them. After trying a few more times to kill the stupid goblin I just gave up. Sorry, but it feels like I’ll have to do a lot of grinding just to kill the guy
- The random encounters are a bit too frequent at times. Both when trying to reach the Lich King and when sneaking to the Goblin King it was better to just flee from every combat than to stay and fight – no damage means no need for healing, and on average the experience and gold rewards are not worth the trouble, unless you’re grinding for one or the other

The game may be balanced if you give all the girls to the orcs so they can level up, but if all you have are the Overlord and the girls you recruit things seem a bit too grind-heavy. I’m scared to even imagine what it will be like if it’s just the Overlord and three level 1 orcs (i.e. if the Overlord rapes all girls).

EDIT: You don't need to change the map, just make it so that when you leave the Lich's Tower you are brought to 8:34 instead of 8:35. This way you should be able to board the ship regardless of where it was when you disembarked earlier.

Am I missing a lot of loot and experience by taking the shortcut to the Goblin King? Sure seems that way...
moonblack

Next

Return to Non-Flash Projects