Any good Animes?

A place for general discussions about anything and everything.

Any good Animes?

Postby RockSora2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Hey guys I don't really post here anymore but I was just wondering if anyone had any good animes that weren't like Naruto. And I suppose it would give everyone someone to watch. The only one I can recommend is Infinite Stratos, which I just finished. So yeah, any good shows? :D
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. Your fate lies in your own hands. Your hands can change fate. Life is a great adventure. Death an even greater one. May God have mercy on your soul. Even the purest of Hearts contains Darkness.
RockSora2

Re: Any good Animes?

Postby Mr D » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:08 pm

Please specify what you mean by "good". For example Infinite Stratos. It is a shonen harem anime so are you looking for more harem? I for example find it unwatchable because while I do enjoy some shonen anime I find the harem setting unpleasant. Also I am someone that most of the time enjoys more believable or darker anime ( Seinen ) for example Psycho pass, Cowboy bebop, Berserk etc.
So this is why I want you to specify what your definition of "good" is, or this thread can easily become a target for arguments for people that have vastly different tastes because of their difference in the term "good anime".
1 game (oh I mean story slideshow -_-) and 5 flash loop FINISHED...fuck yea
My mini flashes link : http://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewto ... f=7&t=1972
Also I am working on a project right now.But remember, it's a secret to everybody >:D
Mr D

Postby RockSora2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:55 pm

Mr D Wrote:Please specify what you mean by "good". For example Infinite Stratos. It is a shonen harem anime so are you looking for more harem? I for example find it unwatchable because while I do enjoy some shonen anime I find the harem setting unpleasant. Also I am someone that most of the time enjoys more believable or darker anime ( Seinen ) for example Psycho pass, Cowboy bebop, Berserk etc.
So this is why I want you to specify what your definition of "good" is, or this thread can easily become a target for arguments for people that have vastly different tastes because of their difference in the term "good anime".

Well, I meant whatever seems good to you. Just the kind of things you have to look for. Harem is all well and good sometimes, but the Shonen part is better. So yeah, whatever seems good to you. If it does start an argument i'll limit it to a specific kind.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted. Your fate lies in your own hands. Your hands can change fate. Life is a great adventure. Death an even greater one. May God have mercy on your soul. Even the purest of Hearts contains Darkness.
RockSora2

Postby Zeus Kabob » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:48 pm

Oh, I have no idea for Animes.

A couple friends of mine liked Sword Art Online, so you might want to give that a go. Additionally I can recommend the mangas Toriko, HunterxHunter, and YuYu Hakusho (what can I say, I'm a sucker for shounen battle manga. XD), though I have no idea how the animes turned out.

Also, Mr. D's avatar is the best freakin' thing ever. XD
Zeus Kabob

Postby Thaedael » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:49 pm

Last Exile
There are a lot of anime I like, but one I find that a lot of people tend to like no matter their preferences in genre is Last Exile.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3lXas9dzjY
[days like today I wish we had embedded videos.]

Abridged Synopsis; War breaks out and two pilots get entwined in a plot.

Princess Mononoke
Edit fuck man, the list just goes on
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdS8lu4tbY

I mean christ if Princess Mononoke's - Journey to the West [ost] stir some emotion in you I call you inhuman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXdS8lu4tbY

Abridged Synopsis; A man fights a demon and gets cursed, he is forced to leave his village and his journey begins

Grave of the Fireflies
Sad Movie.png

Edit; The stuff I like though... is not for the faint of heart. I like tragedies, and the Asians do it best.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxv9ghINEhs

Abridged Synopsis; A powerful drama that takes place in the closing months of the Second World War, following the story of a kid.

Perfect Blue
Moving a bit away from the tragedies into another genre I like a lot, the psychological thriller. This is one that still has stuck with me to this day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0Rj7nn0ZVs

Abridged Synopsis; A pop idol becomes an actress, and begins to lose her mind, as murders happen around her.

The Legend of Koizumi

This is a silly one. Essentially Koizumi was a Japanese minister who was popular for his ability to deal with foreign affairs while protecting Japanese interests. This is a comedy, in which Koizumi is a super hero that settles all the world's problems with a game of mahjong. It is stupid silly, and will get at least one laugh out of you from the few episodes it does actually have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06o5NbF1n6E

yeah... yeah... we all knew it would make the list. Neon Genesis Evangelion
Giant aliens appear, they fight them using giant robots, webs within webs, plots within plots (one of the just as planned meme images come from this series). I like the look into the human psyche, especially the ending of the original series, I like the psychology, the religious themes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kFhPVAhV_o

Still not over how depressing the grave of the fireflies was? Well here;

5 Centimers per Second
Arguably one of my favourite anime movies in terms of art style. Story isn't bad, though it does leave me wanting a bit, but that's the whole point of the work. Stunning animation, stunning story telling, and most of all, an emotional OST that is heartfelt and sincere.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKn5AwOTis

Forgot to mention it's a bitter sweet story about a guy and a girl.
Last edited by Thaedael on Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaedael

Postby RockSora2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:24 pm

Zeus Kabob Wrote:Oh, I have no idea for Animes.

A couple friends of mine liked Sword Art Online, so you might want to give that a go. Additionally I can recommend the mangas Toriko, HunterxHunter, and YuYu Hakusho (what can I say, I'm a sucker for shounen battle manga. XD), though I have no idea how the animes turned out.

I'm pretty sure those animes turned out ok. I have a friend who just spends all of her free time watching some animes.

Thaedael Wrote:There are a lot of anime I like, but one I find that a lot of people tend to like no matter their preference in genre is Last Exile.

Yeah I think i've generally heard positive feedback about that one, but none of the others :|

Zeus Kabob Wrote:Also, Mr. D's avatar is the best freakin' thing ever. XD

Isn't it always? XD
RockSora2

Postby RockSora2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:26 pm

And Evangelion. I didn't see that one -_-
RockSora2

Postby Thaedael » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:30 pm

I personally like the three main genres when it comes to anime. I like the bitter-sweet romances, I like tragedies, I like the philosophical works. I tried to pick stuff that aren't just doom and gloom, and try to grab from a wide cross section, from absolutely silly shit (legend of koizumi, great teacher onizuka etc) to the more serious things (things like 5cm per second, the grave of the fireflies etc.). There are other sad things I like more than those, but this will do for now.
Thaedael

Postby RockSora2 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:36 pm

Generally I do prefer anything with either a deep storyline, some humour, and the odd harem, but what really does it for me is the length of the anime. If it's too short it doesn't do it for me, as I don't really get into it, and if it's too long I lose track(Naruto) but if it had seasons, I would say 7 is a good number.
RockSora2

Postby Thaedael » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:10 am

I posted mostly movies.
Thaedael

Postby RockSora2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:27 am

Thaedael Wrote:I posted mostly movies.

Movies are different. Those have to be long! A short anime movie never does too well.
RockSora2

Postby Thaedael » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:41 am

Thaedael

Postby RockSora2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:51 am

Thaedael Wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk3SyhS8fi8

The Feels!!!!! :cry: :cry:

I haven't even got past the opening credits yet!!! :cry:

And is the live action film any good?
RockSora2

Postby cookie jar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:05 am

Wow. I'm surprised someone else liked 5 centimetres per second. Most people I know who watched it found it boring. (Not me, obviously.)

That aside, I can second most of Thaedael's recommendations.

The only one of the list I don't know is "The Legend of Koizumi". So I can't say anything about that, but the rest are good (imho at least).

Also, I'd like to add "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" to the list.
And since Disney got their hooks into this one there's actually a decent English synchronisation of this one available. If you're interested in a translated version that is.

And if you're one for classic fantasy themes: "Record of Lodoss War".

I'll stop with adding just these two to the list for now. Otherwise I'd have to go through my entire archive and that would take a lot of time. ;)
If you stumble across any typos, you may keep them and rear new ones in your basement.
cookie jar

Postby Thaedael » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:08 am

I like both of those, though Record of the Lodoss War is just DnD =P. As for 5 centimeters per second... I had to study it when it first came out for the animation style. It was after having broken up with the girlfriend I had most of my life, who then proceeded to run off with my best friend and get married. So maybe it was the feeling I had to begin with combined with watching it live on yahoo japan when it first came out, but it always got a strong response from me.

Edit; And Legend of Koizumi is just retarded silly fun. It helps break up the sad stuff I like on that list.
Thaedael

Postby cookie jar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:21 am

Thaedael Wrote:Edit; And Legend of Koizumi is just retarded silly fun. It helps break up the sad stuff I like on that list.

That sounds exactly like something I could use right now. Have to check that one out.

And I don't think I have that kind of emotional investment when it comes to 5 centimetres per second. At least I can't think of anything similar around the time I first watched it. I just liked it as a quiet (or calm) film.

(Oddly enough I do have a similar emotional investment when it comes to the movie "Moulin Rouge". Weird as it may be. Even though it's been a couple of years now and a lot has happened since then, I still get either really frustrated or pissed whenever I hear the "elephant love medley". Annoyingly so, since I actually like the song. But I'm going off topic right now in big leaps...)
If you stumble across any typos, you may keep them and rear new ones in your basement.
cookie jar

Postby RockSora2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:26 am

cookie jar Wrote:Also, I'd like to add "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind" to the list.
And since Disney got their hooks into this one there's actually a decent English synchronisation of this one available. If you're interested in a translated version that is.

Now that's one I know full well about! I found the four books at a sale for 50p. Best half a pound I ever spent!!! :)
RockSora2

Postby Thaedael » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:35 am

http://mangafox.me/manga/bitter_virgin/
Read it, cry, then come back and say thank you.
Thaedael

Postby napsii » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:43 am

Evangelion (both the original series and the Rebuild stuff) and really any Miyazaki films are all amazing anime. Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke are my two favorites.

Fairy Tail is also really entertaining, and the Rurouni Kenshin anime is really good until it starts to deviate from the plot of the manga (it just becomes "decent" at that point -- still entertaining but not as good as the manga plot, in my opinion.)
napsii

Postby RockSora2 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:58 am

Thaedael Wrote:http://mangafox.me/manga/bitter_virgin/
Read it, cry, then come back and say thank you.

:cry: Thank You. :cry:
I'm a very feely person for a guy. Just reading the plot summary made me feel a lot. *sniff*
RockSora2

Next

Return to General