S.L.U.T. In My Head (Hiatus as of: 03/25/13)

This is the place to post your own creative works for other to play or give feedback on!
Forum rules
This forum is for posting and collaborating upon third party work. Please do not post request-threads, and avoid posting artwork that is not your own unless it is being used as a reference.

Re: S.L.U.T. In My Head (aka teach me how to code you perver

Postby Kantirocks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:12 pm

First off, congrats on no longer being a newly registered member (It doesn't show on your post under your avatar anymore).
secondly, there will probably be a lot of girls, (And the occasional boy) but it'll be over time, since I'm probably going to have the Fiona do a lot of the writing, since that's what really makes people want to play the original game with her in it and not some random guy from the internet. And each victim is going to be pretty unique, between the difference in the victims and the difference in your mission (some of these will have goals in them, like before you finish, it be better for the Conspiracy if the victim was turned into a lesbian or something along those lines) And I might add rewards for certain objectives like that being met but that's something Fiona is working on right now for the regular game so it might be a while before their added.

Here's the three cropped pictures I was kinda wanting to use but feel free to edit them if you need to.
Spoiler (click to show/hide):

Ego.png
Ego.png (1.68 KiB) Viewed 3860 times

Power.png
Power.png (1.44 KiB) Viewed 3860 times

suspicion.png
suspicion.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 3860 times
Kantirocks

Postby Xela » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:26 pm

Kantirocks Wrote:First off, congrats on no longer being a newly registered member (It doesn't show on your post under your avatar anymore).
secondly, there will probably be a lot of girls, (And the occasional boy) but it'll be over time, since I'm probably going to have the Fiona do a lot of the writing, since that's what really makes people want to play the original game with her in it and not some random guy from the internet. And each victim is going to be pretty unique, between the difference in the victims and the difference in your mission (some of these will have goals in them, like before you finish, it be better for the Conspiracy if the victim was turned into a lesbian or something along those lines) And I might add rewards for certain objectives like that being met but that's something Fiona is working on right now for the regular game so it might be a while before their added.

Here's the three cropped pictures I was kinda wanting to use but feel free to edit them if you need to.

Ego.png

Power.png

suspicion.png

Thanks, I can post messages normally now :)

I see no point in cropped images, just use the whole image as I showed you. If you want to use cropped, just add a frame with maximum(x,y), use crops as backgrounds and copy/paste my code inside. The only thing that you might have to do is to readjust spacing and pos values, let frame maximum handle the rest.
Like what we're doing?
Xela

Postby Kantirocks » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Xela Wrote:Thanks, I can post messages normally now :)

I see no point in cropped images, just use the whole image as I showed you. If you want to use cropped, just add a frame with maximum(x,y), use crops as backgrounds and copy/paste my code inside. The only thing that you might have to do is to readjust spacing and pos values, let frame maximum handle the rest.

alright, I'll give it a try later then.
Kantirocks

Postby Xela » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:49 pm

Kantirocks Wrote:
Xela Wrote:Thanks, I can post messages normally now :)

alright, I'll give it a try later then.

Good luck, tell me if you have any questions.
Like what we're doing?
Xela

Postby Xela » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:58 pm

Made moving animation in RenPy today (My first), possibly the easiest thing you can make but still... If you ever decide to add throwing dice effect to the game (I mean on visual level, not just in code) you can use something like this :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/43556362/Dice% ... .0-win.rar
Like what we're doing?
Xela

Postby MadBob » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:03 am

I could code this with JavaScript and CSS would make the interface seriously easy to perfect. jQuery would make the coding nice and easy too, but data management for this kind of thing would be a little complicated for most people. Using JavaScript also opens it up for piracy as all the code is open for anyone to see.
If the game used AJAX to fetch graphics and do some data related things with a web server, it would become a little more resilient to piracy, but would obviously require an internet connection.

If you're not interested in cross-platform compatibility, Visual Studio Express would make it easy to code a Windows application for anyone who knows how to use Visual Basic or something similar to C#, and it's free. It also allows for more complicated game mechanics and will probably give you the best performance for data and graphics.

I've always hated updating Java and the games and apps that make me use it :\
MadBob
Newly Registered

Postby BlueLight » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:24 am

I've always hated updating anything related to microsoft. There is a lot of content and you have update so the auto detection services are annoying as hell; and i believe internet explore needs to be used.

Java go to one site and provides one update quick and easy.... Sorry i'm annoyed, that someone punched my big ego!
BlueLight
Gangs n' Whores Developer

Postby Sarahstar » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:29 pm

If you want to go the Microsoft route and you have a valid .edu email, you can go to dreamspark and get their software development tools for free. I won't try to get into a toolset holy war, but Visual Studio/Visual Web Developer don't require you to use internet explorer and they update in the background. I've used them every day for a couple of years to write web applications and they are quite convenient.

Also, don't let not knowing HTML deter you - if you can write in a real programming language, learning basic mark-up and CSS is really REALLY going to be easy.

That said - this looks dead simple to write a simple version as a browser based application; the only tricky part seems to me to be handling getting the scene information. From the rules you linked to, it seems like this is really a 2 player game - one person controlling the conspiracy and the other person saying what happens, handling scenes etc. You could probably create a big library of scenes to send back - e.g. "girl has anal sex fetish rank 1, failed an urge, pick one of 10 pre-written anal sex fetish rank 1 scenes to present" but that wouldn't be as flexible as a real person, obviously.

Good luck!
Sarahstar
Newly Registered

Postby Kuragari » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:54 pm

So what progress has been made in this, would love to play it.
Kuragari

Postby BlueLight » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:51 am

none since my last version. I've come up with a concept to make the right side of my panel look better but i don't know if it really will make it better.
As for the middle section, i figured that i'm going to need a HTML component since swing is horrible and can't really do what we need normally. hell i might dig up my old java script book.
BlueLight

Postby Cobalt » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Hey there. I am new to this board and registered especially to reply to this topic.
I am no man of many words so I quit my introduction at this point.
The reason that made me register is to offer you my help on this project. That is, of course, only if wanted. I don't want to get between something.
I am not an artist but I can offer you my programming skills. I've got experience in developing business logic, web applications and web pages but only little in game development. So for me it would be a chance to improve myself here.
Programming languages I can offer are C# (.NET) and a little Java (I prefere .NET over Java). Of course all the web-stuff (HTML, JavaScript (incl. a few JS frameworks)).
So if you think that might be of help, feel free to contact me.
Cobalt

Postby BlueLight » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:53 pm

I have a question for you oh great and powerful cobalt!

Is there a way to create check boxes with HTML that i would be able to enable and disable and be able to add or move the check at will?

Sorry, let's try this again.
Is there a way i could use a Component that reads HTML and displays it to create a check box, and being able to change if the check box is Enable; disabled; checked or unchecked.
BlueLight

Postby AllenAndArth » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:58 pm

BlueLight Wrote:I have a question for you oh great and powerful cobalt!

Is there a way to create check boxes with HTML that i would be able to enable and disable and be able to add or move the check at will?

Sorry, let's try this again.
Is there a way i could use a Component that reads HTML and displays it to create a check box, and being able to change if the check box is Enable; disabled; checked or unchecked.

I agree with asking that question...is there a way to do that? show us light oh great and powerful cobalt!
AllenAndArth

Postby Cobalt » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:16 pm

I am sorry but I am not sure how to interprete this query.

Anyways (and without interpreting anything), if I understand you correctly, you plan on building this application as webservice? Using Java for programming and a webbrowser plus HTML for displaying? If so, post or AJAX? Want to use a JS Framework like Knockout? If you could give me an example on what you plan to do and what tools you intend to use, maybe I can help you further.
Cobalt

Postby BlueLight » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:07 am

Okay, so here's the problem. Javax.Swing is horrid when it comes to layout managers. It is very hard to construct the GUI i would like.
However, HTML along with CSS would be perfect! However i need the most basic ability i get from a component.
I need check boxes that i can decide are checked or unchecked along with keeping the player from using them. I think i might be able to do with with the core HTML i pass though but i haven't used HTML in so long i can't be sure. I might in fact need to use some basic Java script.
BlueLight

Postby Sarahstar » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:39 am

I'm not cobalt, but what you're asking for is super easy to do with jQuery (or regular old javascript). The property you're looking for is "checked" on an input type of checkbox. So in your HTML you would have:
Code: Select All Code
<input id="whatever" type="checkbox" checked>

This would give you a checkbox that is, by default, checked, in your HTML.

To check if it's checked, jQuery is super easy:

if ($('#whatever').is(':checked')) {

} else {
    alert("It's not checked!);
}

That looks through your html for anything with the id of "whatever" and tells you if it's checked or not by throwing up a message box.

Seriously, though - doing this with Java seems like it would just be a super-duper pain in the butt; I know it's what you know, but I bet you could pick up HTML in no time flat, and once you use javascript+jQuery for your UI stuff you'll wonder why you ever used anything else. Additionally, as cobalt says, knockout is a great tool for doing webby front-end stuff, though you will need to understand HTML and javascript as a foundation.
Sarahstar
Newly Registered

Postby Cobalt » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:49 am

Hello Sarahstar,

I agree with you, setting up the HTML is pretty easy. I for myself dislike using HTML for creating GUIs but that's an other story. But I understood the question different: how would the backend handle this?
As mentioned earlier I am not that experienced with Java based programming. As far as I know you will need use of a webserver for handling HTML request. Using JHTML, JSP, JSF, w/e creating the HTML. Is there something like a built-in webserver available? Maybe something like the IIS express? I do not know.
Cobalt

Postby BlueLight » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:45 am

Sarahstar Wrote:I'm not cobalt, but what you're asking for is super easy to do with jQuery (or regular old javascript). The property you're looking for is "checked" on an input type of checkbox. So in your HTML you would have:
<input id="whatever" type="checkbox" checked>

This would give you a checkbox that is, by default, checked, in your HTML.

To check if it's checked, jQuery is super easy:

if ($('#whatever').is(':checked')) {

} else {
    alert("It's not checked!);
}

That looks through your html for anything with the id of "whatever" and tells you if it's checked or not by throwing up a message box.

Seriously, though - doing this with Java seems like it would just be a super-duper pain in the butt; I know it's what you know, but I bet you could pick up HTML in no time flat, and once you use javascript+jQuery for your UI stuff you'll wonder why you ever used anything else. Additionally, as cobalt says, knockout is a great tool for doing webby front-end stuff, though you will need to understand HTML and javascript as a foundation.

I know HTML 4.4 or some version of HTML 4. I have basic knowledge of CSS but i need to restudy that. Java script i'd rather keep a arms length away.
The only problems i really see happening are with the GUI unless we're talking about networking which is a field i haven't done much in.
For java, i can get a swing component that reads HTML and thus i will be able to use that to use in my GUI as a display.
BlueLight

Postby shin » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:29 am

Anyone thought of using Django, I know python isn't the most suitable language for game creation, but its more of a python HTML hybrid.
Also it is web framework, but if could probably be adapted to suit what you need.
Check out my project Discipline of Revenge http://legendofkrystal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1789

Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard, be evil.
shin

Postby BlueLight » Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:49 pm

I can think of only one program that uses Python that i like. The rest i find buggy as all hell.
Django i haven't heard of at all.
BlueLight

PreviousNext

Return to Creative Corner